mechanics advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by pedro quiroga, Jul 20, 2008.

1. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok so the other day i did a some what dumb thing to the truck.

i degreased the engine while hot. i kept it running after to evaporate the rest of the water. well the next day i tried to start it and it was hard to start to say the least.( i guess the water vapor got in the cap)when i did get it to run it had a real bad hesitation prob when giving it gas.

so i let it cool then took the cap and rotor off and it had some signs of age so i replaced them both, but before that i hit the both with wd40. i did that before i desided to replace them.

so today i went back for an o ring that tore due to age. on the manifold.(12 years old).

so i went for a test drive and it drove fine. i went to publix and was there for 10 minutes. then when i got the truck started it had a terrible hesitation again in reverse. then in drive for a few feet then normal agian.

i think it may still have wd40 on the distrbutor and hasnt burned off yet.

anyone have a clue?

2. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

Well, I don't know if wd-40 would cause that as I have done similar to the jeep with nary a problem. but what might not be a bad idea is to check and make sure that your plugs didn't get fouled up when you De-greased it. Crap like that happened to me when I went wheeling and it a creek and water splashed up over my hood. And it didn't start because the plugs were damp

Otherwise I'd say pull the cap off. Dry it out and then run a bead of silicone around the edge to keep water from coming in.

Granted this was good ol' boy backwoods stuff. But it never hurts to check the simple stuff.

Like the plugs and wires.

3. pedro quiroga

didnt think of the plugs. well i cant run a bead of silicone due to its hard to reach and the bead would get smeared off.

gonna do it now.

4. pedro quiroga

well i did the plugs them hit then with wd40 again. still the same prob.

maybe something else is still wet and will dry off on the drive to work in the morning. if she dies i have AAA to take me home or a shop.

i ve done this before :mad:. it may just need some time.

5. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

Here's hoping everything turns out well.

I seafoamed the jeep one time, and then it ran like Sh!t for almost a week before it finally got better. Never again... Never Again, now with the cobalt, I just try to stay on top of maintenance stuff like oil changes so it doesn't happen again

6. pedro quiroga

i seafoamed my truck too ,but mine ran fine.

i'll cross my fingers.lol

i should also mention she runs fine on the road when im up to speed. going from 35 to 45 is no prob. dead stop and i give it some gas it stutters for a half sec then vroom shes fine, but not always.

she did it pulling out of publix but not to make a u turn. ??

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  7. pedro quiroga

i just got a running lean code and found out it could be my fuel filter.

i just put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the other day too. that may be the cause of my hesitation.

8. pedro quiroga

fuel trim too lean bank 1. where is bank 1?

9. pedro quiroga

**** do feel dumb. found it!!!!

my air intake hose from the MAF to the intake tore,and i mean bad.in 2 spots.

10. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

at least you found it

11. pedro quiroga

i couldnt find a replacment so i tried glueing it. if gorilla glue and gorilla tape wont hold up i'm screwed. cross your fingers.

i would hate to loose a half day of work to go to the dealer.

12. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

You could always go to a upull it and see if you couldn't find one in decent shape.
    worse case scenario

13. pedro quiroga

i cant till thursday. i work from 4:30 to 4:30-5pm.

hmmm might be able after all.the salvage yard is like 3 miles from work.

will call in the morning. can go during lunch if they have one.

14. pedro quiroga

glue is working very well for such a short time. seems to be ready to wrap in tape. held up well to a hot degreasing wash.

15. pedro quiroga

hope its ready by 3:30

16. pedro quiroga

didnt say where. it was on the bottom so it must have just started a few days ago.

17. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

If Glue is working well than at least you have something that will possibly work by 3:30 here's hoping for you

18. pedro quiroga

ok glue worked great! truck runs like new again. i guess the water thing was a coincidence. even tho it looked like i needed a new cap and rotor.

deal wants 98. online is like 65. will try ebay later.

19. pedro quiroga

ok can anyone here find a site selling oem air intake tubes?

all i keep coming up with are performance intakes. which i dont want or need.

i cam up with a lot on ebay but they look cheap and my not take the air intake sensor.

20. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

just get a K&N filter! vvvrrrooooooommm