Looking to trade my brand new 9KV2, for a signle 10"

Discussion in 'Car Audio Classifieds' started by boostdfoci, Feb 8, 2007.

1. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

you see boostd ... we have been saying its all in the box forever now. Now you can see just how important it is. Hence why I was giving you a hard time about having ED subs in a JL box. I am very glad you got them sounding better for you... this is what the forums are for. Well done.

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Three 8's sealed will not have much of an advantage over two 8's ported.

Having three subs is useless most of the time....adding another sub for a trio will not gain much

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice job Boostd!!

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

how will adding a 3rd sub not add much.its another woofer so it should add SOMETHING right.
    oh and that box looks sweet

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Adding a third woofer and making a SEALED BOX.

Compared to having two in a CUSTOM PORTED BOX.

My opinion is that two subs in a custom ported box will be louder than three subs in a sealed box

6. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

How about three in a ported box then? Alex said I could try to add another to my box, but it might be peaky. However if I build the right airspace for three in a ported enclosure it will be "louder"

7. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

And by the way Dave your guys were correct, sometimes when you read something in print, you tend to put your own soin on it as to how the persons attitude was. Easier to talk to people in my opinion.

I think I am going to biuld a ported three.

8. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

Anz, if I run three D4s in a ported eclsoure tunes to 35 hrz, 2.147 Cuft, the ohm load will be 2.67, will my eclipse xa-1000 be able to handle that, they only have 2-4 ohm listings for that amp?

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Three ported with at amp will work awesome...build it.

Tune it to 35 with a big port....I would make the slot port like 2"-2.5" wide if you can fit it.

10. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

Acording to my calculator I can only have a 1.5" port due to the space in the hatch. Is that bad?

11. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

I can make it bigger with 5/8 MDF opposed to 3/4 is that a problem?

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Can you not make the box any taller or deeper??

13. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

No because I would not have acess to my spare or amps under a removalable floor panel. The box is 16" tall X 9.5" deep x 37" long.

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I do not recommend anything thinner than 3/4 inch MDF...5/8s is pushing it and bracing will have to be used and takes up internal space.

I would say go ahead and build it with a 1.5 inch wide port...then see if you get any port noise...but the bigger the port the better IMO

15. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

You can use 5/8 stock, it will work. But as Azn says, its not recomended. The gains in the box volume by thinner stock will be negated by the reguired internal bracing. And you wont gain much volume anyway without the bracing, and then the box will resonate which in turn will cancel out the bass and make it muddy sounding and then you will be mad and set the box on fire and kick your subs in and throw your amp across the road only to have it hit head on by an 18 wheeler which will cause it to bounce off your roof and then smash your niegbors car window then you will get sued by them and thetrucking company which will cost you 20 grand in fees. So it is better to use 3/4 inch stock.

16. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

yeah what he said....:huh: :lol:

17. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

OK, ordered the new sub 9KV2, spoke to eclipse and they said the amp will be fine (as you guys said), So it will be three 9KV@'s in a 1.5 ported sub enclosure. I should have it done by next weekend, really busy and threw out my back this weekend, I will send pics!

Again thanks guys.

18. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

These are my space limitations, this is the box in the car now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. boostdfoci

boostdfoci Full Member

Can home audio RCA cables be used in car audio applications?, if not what cables would you recommend? I am using monster cable 400 serires.

20. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Boostd...from your pics of your trunk you can make the box taller and a little wider...so more room for a bigger port