Looking For Mp3 Hu Under $175

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kennyg, Nov 25, 2004.

1. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

I haven't paid much attention to many of the HU's on the market lately, but, I just bought a clarion 545, and returned it, that was a pile of ****, so, under $175, what can I get for a decent MP3 compatible HU? Pre-outs don't matter, this is just for my beater car to listen to tunes in.

2. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2034

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CVnvL9Qquxl/c...X7705&s=0&cc=01

What about this (both links are of the same deck). I know Sony's been ragged on for years, even I have done it, but, they're quality on they're decks has gotten better, hasn't it? I'm not looking for super high end or anything, or else I'd buy a clarion 9255. But, Is Sony back in the game, I maen, it plays MP3's, it's an awesome looking HU, I think it's a winner. I might go play with one today or tomarrow, though, see how I actualy like it in person, but, it's much sleeker looking than anythign on the market, and doesn't SCREAM Xplode.

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

go with JVC, Not sony

4. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

I have nothin against JVC, but, I don't like them very much,a dn I need something thats aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, and the last JVC decks that were nice lookin were the silver Digifine decks. Have you used this sony yet, mike?

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

no, and I have not heard of any imporvments of their QC

the Brands of my choice for Source Units in no order

JVC
    Panasonic
    Alpine
    Pioneer
    Kenwood

Clarion if none of the above had anything I wanted

6. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Normally, I would look into Kenwood, Pioneer, Eclipse, Clarion, or Panasonic, but, I don't liek ANYTHING that any of them have on the market anymore, especially in my price range. Why has ugly looks become such a great thing? I simply can't have something thats ugly. Unfortunately, it at least needs to be decent looking. Looks aren't everything, but, I know I'm not gonna be happy with it at all, if I can't stand to look at it, or it's hard to use, especally the new pioneers, my god, can they make the buttons any smaller? And the kenwoods are all just ghey looking. Clarions, well, have pretty much gone to shit, except for the top of the line models. There really isn't anything out there worth a shit anymore, man. If I had the money, shit, I'd just buy a Clarion 9255, the new one thast down to like $800, and just buy a damned MP3 changer.

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

really JVC and pioneer is the only ones that I thought looked so so this year

I thought the Panasonics were great looking...

8. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

I love the panasonics, I want the 8400 sooooo bad, but, can't afford it.

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

there is one thing about money

you can always make more..........

10. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

ya, but, mike, i have budgets, and who would I be, but the us government, fi I ignored my budget?

11. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

Get Clarion. DO NOT GET THE SONY. $350+ for my sony mp3 deck and a used clarion i spent $20 sounds and works better.

12. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

Frys has a TG sale for a Clarion MP3 deck for ~$100 installed.
    (If you live in an area with a Frys)

13. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

If you read above, I don't want another clarion, it seemed too cheaply built, and I just didn't like it.

14. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

How do you like the sony? I am looking at the 7705.

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I think Pyle makes MP3 players... :p

No, seriously - I've had a little demo-board time with all the brands that you mention, although possibly not all the options.

With Sony, the stuff seems really well screwed together - but you always hear about product failures.
    And I've seen cheap Sony products come back... but I've never seen expensive Sony products come back.
    So - if I were bottom-feeding - I'd avoid Sony.
    They do have some nifty high-end decks though.

Pioneer AND Alpine - I've always loved these guys, because they've made high quality products, from low-end to high-end. Basically all you are trading off is features - not build quality - which is very nice.

Panasonic - Alma Gates SWEARS by her Panasonic head units! They do look nice, sort of an interesting black chrome - wouldn't look terribly out of place on a black dash - but still has a little bling-bling going on there.
    Display washes out quickly when viewed at odd angles, which makes it's variable angle display pretty useless in just about every car (pretty much the same way every HU with a variable angle display is useless :p) Quality seems great. I've got a hard time navigating through the menus, finding features - but the panel is laid out nicely, once you learn where you access each feature at, since it's not intuitive nor marked.

JVC - been around for years. I think the lower end models look a little flea-marketish, cosmetically... but just like Pioneer and Alpine, they really are quality, from low end models to high end. I haven't really played with the new ones all that much though to comment on ergonomics or anything like that.

I'd put Pioneer as my favorite (because on models like the 8600MP, the menus are just SO damn easy to navigate through, and find and adjust what you like - it's perfect), followed by Alpine (both my current HU's are Alpine, and they are very very nice in terms of sound quality and features, I only prefer Pioneer due to the slight ease of use advantage in a few ways).

16. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

See, I like pioneer's, but, the faceplates get cheaper and cheaper every year, teh buttons get smaller and smaller, etc. I can't stand to use tehm without a remote, shit, i try to press a button, I almost always end up pressing 2 on accident. Alpine, well, we won't go there, except I'll slit my own throat before I buy one of those things. JVC, I dunno, I'm not worried about they're quality, but, I can't stand to look at them anymore, they aren't near as 'simple' as they used to be, they're all 'blingin it up'. Panasonic, well, I might end up going with that bottom-end panasonic MP3 player, if everybody hates the sony that much, that sony just looks soooo clean, soo sexy, have you looked at it? And, thats about mid-line, top of that design, at least, better than $350 retail. I dunno, we'll see.

17. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

here are some suggestions under $175

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P3dH5Cqt3i8/c...00&I=023MONTECA
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P3dH5Cqt3i8/c...2700&I=133C3300
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P3dH5Cqt3i8/c...00&I=257KDAR300
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P3dH5Cqt3i8/c...2700&I=113MP225
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P3dH5Cqt3i8/c...00&I=257KDAR400
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P3dH5Cqt3i8/c...00&I=130DEHP460

IMO all of these are less "bling" than the sony you posted a link to

as far as things not being as "simple" well Simple does not sell in todays market

I see it through out Retail not just Car Audio, Things are Getting "cheaper" (while saying the same selling price) and more "bling" that is what is currently selling the most, majority rules in Retail

18. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

You know, mike, those 2 JVC's, I've never seen either of them in any of the catalogue's I've been looking at. They are 'simple' like the older JVC's, too. The Blaupunkt makes me wonder, I don't know anybody thats ever had one, how are they, are they actually a dcetn quality unit? I'd say the better of the 2 JVC's, the blaupunkt, and the panasonic, are my 3 choices, which would you recommend, any particular one? Again, thanks, mike, I appreciate it.

19. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Blapunkt is a real big german brand, they are on par with the Other names

I would take the JVC's over them though

and the reason you did not see the ones I posted at other site is they are part of the "arsenal" line which is very strict distribution, meaning it is hard for unauthorized dealers to get their hands on them

20. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

OK, here's another one for ya then - With JVC, whats the difference between teh AR400, and the G400? They both look exactly the same.