is my amp over powered for my sub if so what can I do??

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by Rspoon, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Rspoon

Rspoon Member

i have recently purchased a pyle 2 channel 1000 watt amp to push 3 rockford fostgate 10's that are 300 rms. but my dad says he only wants one of the subs in the boat for the sake of free space. i still want to use this amp on the one sub but im afraid ill blow it with the high watt amp. the amp has a remote bass control dial that can be used to control the bass, if this in turned all the way down and i keep the settings on the amp and the stereo deck low will this be okay? i bought the amp used and cant return it so i need to be able to use it, what can i do? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Ryan.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

without knowing the subs impedance (ohm) we can't help you.

3. Rspoon

Rspoon Member

its going in a boat, i have 2 kenwood 6x9' 4 pyle 5 1/4's 2 all on a 1000 watt 4 channel pyle amp being fed by a new kenwood head unit. i have a 1000 watt pyle 2 channel amp, 2 sony 10's that are 4 ohm 300 watt rms and 1100 peak and 1 rockford 10 that is 4 ohm and 300 watt rms and 100 watt peak power. the sonys are in a box and the rockford is open. the 2 channel has a remote bass control knob. the boat is wired with dual batteries, a high cranking amp starter battery only used to start the motor and a deep cycle battery feeding the system. the batteries have an automatic charging relay between them, a perko switch also. i also plan to install an onboard battery charger to support the excessive pull on the battery so it can recharge between uses. the two sonys might not always be in use fir the sake of space on the boat.
    i need to know how to wire the three up to the one amp so the amp doesnt over heat.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you still didn't tell me the speakers impedance. so i will assume 4 ohms each. if you wire the two 6x9's to two channels of the amp then wire the remaining 4 pyles to the final two channels (2 per channel) your 4 channel should be fine.

as far as this... ditch the one open sub and just run your sonys.

5. Rspoon

Rspoon Member

the subs are all 4 ohms. and the open one is the only one that has to stay, its built in.