Intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Electrodynamic, Dec 12, 2003.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Pardon me for asking, but I see no mention of Le. Any spec?

Also, I saw mention of SQ app, but I'm looking at the drivers params thinking, you couldn't pay me to seal that. With that in mind, the Brahma 12 MKI is totally indicative of a sealed driver, yet it performs remarkably well in ported apps as well. I am aware that sealing a driver better suited for ported apps is more likely to dump low end all to hell, but maybe this driver is similar to the Brahma MKI in the respect that it destroys the general rule of thumb. Any opinion or insight? Or do you just wanna send me one to beat the hell out of for a while :p .

2. Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic Full Member

Well the EBP is pretty high on the Magnum's, which makes them lean towards vented enclosures that's for sure. Sealed, however, the in-car response is remarkably flat. I'll have to check the build sheet when I get back home tomorrow for the inductance (Le), but it probably won't make you really happy - the coil is 2.3" tall and 3" diameter. The Brahma's work so well ported because they keep their T/S's through the entire range of it's linear BL (XBL^2 is the shizzle).

But it might just be because I'm an SQeer ;), but I like the Mag's ported. If anyone has any doubts all they need to do (if they're local) is hear my buddies silver Camaro with a sealed Mag in 0.8 cubes. :D

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I agree completely.

The XBL^2's motor seems to be the equalizing factor, having prototyped up a few XBL^2 drivers with different suspensions.

We were most surprised in our testing when we decided to take a 12" XBL^2 driver that we had, which was installed in a dual-chamber vented enclosure (with it's inherently peaky plot shape... almost SPL-fart-box peaky)... and decided to shut off ALL the filters on the amp... subsonic, and LP filters.
    And listened to some Dream Theater drum solo action.
    We were shocked at how detailed and realistic it remained, despite the enclosure design... it honestly didn't even sound as peaky as it was, the motor is indeed able to just (as I put it) "brute force" the cone into remaining exactly where it's supposed to be at any point in that signal.
    And that was with a pretty middle-of-the-road Qts driver.

It's as though with most drivers, you can have a decently smooth frequency response with compromised detail and transient response...
    And with these, we compromised the frequency response smoothness, but the detail and transient response just couldn't be compromised.
    That's why I was impressed.

And what you say about factoring in "in car" response is also very true.
    I have a modeling program here that is Excel based..
    I use it quite often, because it has the transfer function plot of an "average" car in it (I could edit it if I liked), and it'll generate not only the 'anechoic' plot (as most software does), but also applies that correction curve to the plot, and gives you an approximate "in car" plot.
    Very nice feature to have, I'm surprised more tools don't have this feature... it's not even that difficult to measure your own vehicle's tranfer function. B)

4. Electrodynamic

I meant to say that I like the Magnum's sealed, not ported, for my own personal preference. 'wanna talk about tight bass...listen to a Magnum sealed. :)

*Still a little confused as to why I can't edit my own posts.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'm not sure myself.. do you have an "edit" button at the top of your posts?

I think new members may have somewhat restricted rights until they've reached 10 or 20 posts... I don't remember the limit, I've been here a LONG time, and only remember those limits when everyone else was facing them when the forum was born...
    Couldn't edit our signatures or titles either...
    Give it a few more posts, see if the button appears.

6. Electrodynamic

Yeah, there is no edit button. There was when I first registered, but it's not there anymore. Maybe I tried editing too much. ;)

7. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Yeah Nick, Clarke told me he's getting your name tatted on his chest! And how about those Mags in IB???

8. hoss

hoss Full Member

might i just add (to tell yall more about me)...

i am hollis. hollis is me.

and to go out for tirfryr... those mags in IB will be my car... prepare for it, thats all i have to say :) . and nick already has clarke tattod on his chest (long story) :p

by the way, i gotta add, this is the most fun forum i have joined. i love it :D

9. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Koo! Lemme know how they work. MY next purchase depends on it!

10. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

I prefer the term "ED user". I'm not blinded enough to be a "fan". If I hear something better, while still remaining affordable (why I chose 15A over the B15), I'll grab it.

Of course, I think I'm one of the very few on this board that thinks most people "overuse" their sub. I like music systems, not sub systems...but that was another thread :D Anyways, Nick, glad you're here. So...uh...when ya' gonna have another $200/driver sale...or 6.5" comps :yes:

P.S. The only thing I remember hearing about Nick's appearance was that he was 3 feet tall. Any truth to that :lmfao:

11. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Wow, the caliber of the company here keeps growing every hour it seems. It is great to have more people here, especially industry leaders like yourselves. I love learning something new, and it's hard to learn stuff when the questions are "Will a Sony 2500 watt sub be louder than a Boss 4500 watt sub?".

I remember you Electrodynamic from SI.N. Nice to see you venture over here. I am definitely one of the other Adire groupies, but try to give credit to other companies great designs. Those parameters look really good, and should bode well. I didn't see it listed, but was that an overhung unit? I have heard the magnum name many times, but never really looked into it. I will definitely have to check it out now.

:bye:

12. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

It's funny you mention that. My head unit finally broke on me, and it took me a while to get a new one. So I was without music for a long time. Well now it works, and I find myself selecting orchestra music more. I am definitely not using close to my subs, or it's amps potential. I have never been a big bass head, but I did enjoy my subs boosted a little bit over SQ levels. But now I have been turning it down more. So I guess I'm starting to agree more and more with you. A great set of components along with orchestra music played at reference levels is a much better experience than 150 dB's of 55 Hz burps from woofers. When you find yourself with an ear-to-ear smile during an exciting part of 1812 Overture you realize what sonic bliss truely is.

BTW, regular members have a limited amount of time to edit their post. It can be a real pain at times. But think of it this way, it is a great way to get free posts.

13. hoss

hoss Full Member

here is where i disagree...

SPL is so much more fun... i am so sad about leaving the SPL lanes... Sq sucks ;)

(however, i will be joining the SQ groups in the near future... so i suck)

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Nick, non-elite members are only allowed 10 minutes to edit their posts. I think Mike is working on doing something about that as several members have brought that up.