insulation project

Discussion in 'Pictures and funny Stuff.' started by cccullen, Feb 24, 2008.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

over the weekend I did a little project. I insulated the ceiling of my expy cuz I was getting rattles their. WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE!! My car is soo much quieter now. I was also able to do the front doors, I still have the the rear doors and back hatch. Taking down the headliner wasn't an easy task. The job took me and a guy helping me about 8 hours to do the whole thing. Im glad it's finished!
    Here's a few pics:

Attached Files:

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

what kind of insulation is that??

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

don't know if you remember but I had mentioned that the only stuff i can get here is linda like foil on both sides with a kind of foam in the middle. Works pretty good. I had to glue it in place though.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

kinda like acoustical foam? hope it doesnt come unglued soon.what did you use?super77?

looks good btw

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

It's not going anywhere. I used rubber cement. I put it on the foam as well as on the metal. The rubber cement that i used is good stuff and I was told that it won't come unglued. I'll just have to see.

It is kinda like acoustic foam.

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

Sweet.........

7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice!! Looks like a lot of work.

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

taking down the headliner was a pain in th arse. took a good 3 hrs just to drop it. It was a big job, for me. I cut up my hands on the sharp metal edges while putting up the insulation but it turned out good. I have more mid bass in my expy now and there are no more rattles at all now.

9. Adrian

Adrian Full Member

t do u guys think of this stuff called fatmat i was thinking of getting 50ft of it for the trunk and a lil in the floor pan or how much do u guys think i need i have a 4 door cavi

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

you can use fatmat if you want...it is still rubberized asphalt. Don't plan on it lasting forever like butyl will. It will eventually fail after a few years

11. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Is that stuff less expensive than Dynamat? If not, then it must have set you back quite a few bucks for that much of it. Nice job on the install.