I'm Lost?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by josh99ta, Dec 8, 2003.

1. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Absolutely... I think people too often feel constrained by their degree...
    In the job market, the degree gets you in - therein may lie one constraint - but experience affords you flexibility and movement, even to a completely new career field.

Working for Great Lakes Bureau here in Buffalo, I was part of a strategic IT team, working with business analysts, and helping implement a unique data-mining technology to help drive corporate strategy...
    One of our primary consultants for teaching us this fascinating and high-tech technology had her PHD...

....in Linguistics. ;)

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Today, tomorrow...
    All day, all night...
    you know, the usual.. :bag:

3. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Just like them 1-900 numbers?
    :D

maybe it'll cost less to call u

maybe not... haha

I know which will be more enjoyable tho!

4. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

geolemon, aren't you on the inside of BEtter Audio? Whats been going on over there? Did the Brahma-like sub you guys had hit the market? What about the 1600.1? Anything new coming out from you guys?

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yep, VP, R&D, co-owner... :D

We did do the 1600M1, which unfortunately turned into a "limited production" amplifier, due to our buildhouse going through some internal reorganization. :(

We hadn't much luck getting our XBL^2 design turned into a properly built prototype with our original buildhouse, so we have turned to a new buildhouse that we are more comfortable with, and they've helped us evolve the design several times... but we hadn't released for many reasons... one being that we hadn't yet signed our XBL2 license, and hence didn't have our FEA software - all the prototypeing we were doing was not using Adire's prebuilt toolset. Another being we kept finding ways to push the thing farther in the direction that we wanted.

The final thing that's kept us away is that we've been (and still are) seeking funding, investors. We don't want to have to rely on pre-orders, because some recent pre-orders have taken astronomical periods of time to turn into delivery... 8, 9 months.. even longer. :rolleyes:
    Unfortunately, I think this puts a self-fulfilling curse on preordering at this point... not many people feel "really great" about the prospects.

We're going to largely leave our initial product launches to be a surprise, but one item that we've leaked as an "initial launch product" is going to be a basic subwoofer, a higher performance, lower cost entry level subwoofer. B)

6. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Welcome to the boards josh! I'm wondering if you're the josh that i talked to a while back about the magnum d2. So many damn joshes on these forums that i get confused a bunch about who the hell i'm talkin to. Either way, you are very welcome over here im sure. Glad to see ya...

7. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

Sweet geolemon, I just hadn't heard much out of BE at all lately and was wondering if the whole deal just fell through, or what. Glad to know you're still in there working.

flawlesskid, I do believe that was me man. I remember talking to you about all that a few months back. What did you end up going with anyways? The 10W7 right? Man, I was REALLY wanting one of those for my Trans Am but it's just so deep and needs so much airspace that it just didn't fit my needs. I needed more along the lines of under 6" mounting depth and 0.5-0.75 cubes, 10W7 just didn't do it for me. Was going to get the 8W7 but $300-$400 for an 8 is alot of money so I just picked up the used, old school 10W6 (which should be here tomorrow or Friday) and I'm going to run with that.

And to add on to my post, dropped off that $750 check for the Neon yesterday, man am I excited. Didn't think I'd be this happy over a little Neon but I cant wait to stop driving my TA all day every day, and also to put a sweet little stereo in the Neon. Gonna be a blast :)

And what the heck does this smily mean :ss:

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Not last night :angry:

I left you a message. I'll try to give you a buzz tonight.

Cort, It was this Josh who you were talking with. I remember you mentioning it.

Josh, speaking of the D2, what are you doing with it now?

9. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

Sold the D2. I'm just tired of the 40 lbs supersubs weighing my car down with all this potential for big bass, but me never tapping it. I just dont like loud bass, it bothers me. I just like a little low end fill, and I wanted something much lighter so it wouldn't weigh the TA down. Settled on a 10W6 since it was an awesome sub back in the day, and now I've got all JL speakers in the bird. Magnum D2 was and still is one of my fav subs out there on the market (D2, IDMAX, Brahma, E12A, W7), but it just doesn't suit my needs anymore. I'm waiting for Dan and Adire to hopefully release a 10" that weighs in under 20 lbs, has XBL2, works in around 0.75 cubes of space, drops really low like the Brahma does, and only needs about 250w-500w to really get it going.

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Doesn't have to be Dan and Adire to release such a product, does it? B)

:lol:

11. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Yea Josh, the 10w7 most likely has a permanent home in my hands. I love this sub. I was moments away from getting the Magnum D2, but my good ol buddy chris hipped me to a sweet ass deal on a 10w7. I dont regret a thing. Its easily the loudest sub i've ever owned, but that isn't my biggest concern. It sounds awesome! It blends oh so well with the PL's when i want it to, and it pounds out when i want to listen to my most bass heavy hip hop. There are of course draw backs. Its huge, its heavy, and it demands plenty of space. Space i dont mind giving it. And the weight of the woofer doesn't bother me. My car is slow as it is. :yes:

Those old dub sixes are great sounding woofers. Your decision was good. OOOOHHHH and the tantrums. :gunsmilie: Me Loves those amps. GREAT crossover, does rated power, and as clean as they need to be. I just took a 600.4 out of my car after using it for my thanksgiving traveling. I Highpassed my mid and tweets on the 1&2 channels. Bandpassed the midbass on the 3&4 channels all with the amps crossover. I thought the ability to bandpass the 3&4 channels was sweet. With my Tru T4.65 that will be here next week, i'll have to use the amps crossover in conjunction with my HU's crossover to bandpass my midbass. In the end i plan to be running PG titaniums. Got the 600.2 and i'll probably have the 500.4 in a few months.

And yes seth, its nice to have somebody here who likes what i like. :D Running JL subs, PG amps. :love:

12. trifle

trifle Full Member

Yea Josh, the 10w7 most likely has a permanent home in my hands. I love this sub. I was moments away from getting the Magnum D2, but my good ol buddy chris hipped me to a sweet ass deal on a 10w7. I dont regret a thing. Its easily the loudest sub i've ever owned, but that isn't my biggest concern. It sounds awesome! It blends oh so well with the PL's when i want it to, and it pounds out when i want to listen to my most bass heavy hip hop. There are of course draw backs. Its huge, its heavy, and it demands plenty of space. Space i dont mind giving it. And the weight of the woofer doesn't bother me. My car is slow as it is. :yes:

Those old dub sixes are great sounding woofers. Your decision was good. OOOOHHHH and the tantrums. :gunsmilie: Me Loves those amps. GREAT crossover, does rated power, and as clean as they need to be. I just took a 600.4 out of my car after using it for my thanksgiving traveling. I Highpassed my mid and tweets on the 1&2 channels. Bandpassed the midbass on the 3&4 channels all with the amps crossover. I thought the ability to bandpass the 3&4 channels was sweet. With my Tru T4.65 that will be here next week, i'll have to use the amps crossover in conjunction with my HU's crossover to bandpass my midbass. In the end i plan to be running PG titaniums. Got the 600.2 and i'll probably have the 500.4 in a few months.

And yes seth, its nice to have somebody here who likes what i like. :D Running JL subs, PG amps. :love: [/b][/quote]
    uh oh...adire is getting competition..

13. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

Got my 10W6 in today, little monster that thing is. I was very surprised by the size. Never hear anyone badmouthing PG amps, bur I hear alot of JL bashing. I used to be one of those people because JL was "overpriced" and "overhyped" but my God, look at some of the net companies. Most people I talk to about audio (over the net) are more hyped up over Adire, RE, ED, etc than JL. After hearing and then owning JL Audio equipment, I LOVE the stuff. Yes you do pay a premium, but it's well worth it. Absolutely amazing R&D put into all that JL does. Once I get the T/A paid off and really decide to get crazy with the install again and do some glass work instead of sticking with my stealth stuff, I'll be running a 10W7 without a doubt. Stuff it over in the pass side and let it wang again. But for now, it's 10W6 in driver's side since the W7 wont fit.

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I've always been a JL fan myself, actually.

Part of that is because my own trio of 10W6's is still thumping along... they are headed toward their 9th birthday, how's that? B)

We also have a 10W7 in our testing arsenal... I'm not ashamed to say that we use it as a benchmark to compare our own products against.
    Bart also has a 300/2 and a 500/1 that I believe he's actually got permanently installed in his own vehicle... and I've got a JL 6.5" XR set permanently installed in my own personal ride.
    I've also done countless installs with 10W0's (including a Nissan minitruck that I've owned for the past few years), and other JL subs...
    I don't have a negative story to tell, which is more than I can say for my experiences with companies like MA Audio, Audiobahn, and others like them.

15. I8apony19

I8apony19 Full Member

I, for one, can say that I've seen this woofer already....and it's going to give both the XXX and the Brahma some HEAVY competition...sounds good too...

16. Brian

Brian Guest

I love your system. I just beed to know how i can tweak mine out so that i have godd overall sound with alot of bass.

17. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hi, Brian!

Surprised it allowed you to post, under an "unregistered"status... :huh:

Get yourself registered, and make a post in the "New Member Introductions" forum!
    Always glad to see new people.

We can ABSOLUTELY help you reach your goals of both good overall sound and tons of bass...
    And better yet, we can tell you the best/least expensive/easiest/most practical path to get there... we just need to know your goals.
    Welcome to the team! B)