I finally did the big 3

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by cccullen, Feb 1, 2009.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

yup, I got mine at a local car audio shop for about $20.

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I haven't hooked it up yet but I will be doing it this weekeend. I will let you know how it goes. I have my fingers crossed

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well, i got everything hooked up already... Bad news is that I get voltage drops playing at full tilt with bass heavy music. sometimes down to 12.4V which ****ed me off. I also still have slight dimming which also ****es me off.

I'm I going to have to go with a HO alternator? or a new battery? need some advice here.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

even at full tilt i get voltage drops too. it happens. maybe one more batt can help.

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

what kind of voltage drops do you get? at regular volume i'm getting 14.1V but at full tilt there is a big difference...

6. pedro quiroga

mine has gone down to 12.5 a few times. i really need to get a good voltage meter tho. mine is a lil off.

i'll have to get my dmm on the amp to see what it does exactly.

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well, what i did now is I dropped the gain to zero on the audiocontrol. I didn't realize that it was up almost half way. Now, my dimming or voltage drop isn't that bad now but when I bring the sub level up a bit it will still dim the lights and you can really notice it. I know my ground is to bare metal, all of them.

my voltage meter must not be that good, it's made in china. lol but now i'm maintaining about 13.4 even when the volume is high now. I guess the gain was too high. I still have a dimming problem though.

I hate to ask this but do i need a cap? I know the big three was done right with all 1/0 awg wires. my ground for the amps is at a common point and grounded to bare metal as well.

advice?

8. pedro quiroga

you should be smacked! lol.

your truck can only support so much current draw. bigger alt, or another batt.

9. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

another battery for sure. my friend with a nine.1@1ohm never dips below 14v with the stock battery under the hood and an optima yellow top in the back. his alternator was tiny and it still kept the nine.1 punchin away. no dimming whatsoever. not too mention it was a chevy aveo.

10. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Ya CC, you can go get another battery from a salvage yard for like $20.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

If I get another battery, it's going to cost a lot here. the yellow/red tops cost about $600 here (I know, they're real expensive here). I can't throw down $600, I don't have that kind of money to waste. what other batteries could i use?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009