HU Sound goes out

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by CadillacETC1997, Oct 18, 2006.

1. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

no onstar
    i am using it for chime and to avoid having the cars computer go funny and not allow diagnostics

2. Rodny

Rodny Full Member

How about the fact amp did you bypass the fact amp?

3. CadillacETC1997

i had bose
    gmos-06 is for bose systems
    if you used the gmos-03 you rewire bypassing bose which is what i did...

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

did you get your resistors yet?

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Stay with the adapter, you need it. Have you run the 12 ga power wire from the battery? The GMOS should provide you with an ignition line because a data controlled GM does NOT have one at the radio.

If I remember right your Bose speakers have been replaced. Their impedence is not compatible with anything other than Bose Amps.

6. Rodny

Rodny Full Member

Can you disconet d speaker wires behind d radio and run a wire strait 2 d speakers (door or rear deck) just 2 make sure is not d gmos

7. CadillacETC1997

i ran my OWN wires from the hu to the speaks they do not go through the gmoso3 or through the factory amps
    yes i have replaced all my speaks
    no i havent bought the resistors yet i was major busy today
    no i havent ran new wire
    plan on doing both tomarrow after work at 1 pm
    thanks guys keep ideas commin!

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Run the wire and what did I miss, whats with the resistor?

9. CadillacETC1997

viking gave me some intel about 100 ohm resistors read back a bit
    and wire is the constant im thinking it may be 18 or smaller so it prob isnt big enough

10. TheViking

Hey Caddy................still waiting!!!!!!!!

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I'm waiting too

12. TheViking

Hey ranger? have you not heard of what i am reffering too as far as the resitors are concerned?

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Viking, in your post about the passives, you said that if you blow a speaker it will show a dead short and screw up your amp...couldn't you hook up a 100 ohm 1/4 resistor in parallel with the crossover network so if you blow a speak it won't show a dead short???

14. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Actually no, but I see no reason it won't work. And as a diagnostic method its a good idea. I have an oscilloscope, so your method is something I would have never thought of.

I usually never suspect crossovers. Capacitors just don't go bad unless you exceed their working voltage. The same can be said for coils, they don't like DC at all. (I'll post a pick of an Infinity Perfect Crossover attached to a Planet Amp, that crossovers toast).

Most of the time, when I loose audio, I suspect the speakers.

I think Cadillac got lost

15. TheViking

true, caps rarely go bad on thier own, usually overvoltage is the culprit. I have never seen a mylar or polypropolyne cap vent, electrolytics, seen ALOT of them spew guts!!!

And Azn...The idea of useing the resistors in parallel with a tweeter for example, to eliminate a toasty amp condition.........Sounds like an idea, but dammit!!!!!!!! whats it called???????????????

ZOBEL!!!!! thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO, That NOT it!!!!!!!!!! CRAP, Cant remember the name of it!!!!!!!!!!

A light bulb and a resistor of a specific value wired in parallel with the tweeter after the x-over, will ELIMINATE a blown tweeter for the most part..and if it does cook the Voice coil, the load of the circuit will eliminate the amp from launching itself into the depths of hell...Orion used it extensivley in the xtr 1 s X-overs, and so did a few others...rarely saw a blown tweet with them, due to the circuit basically taking the DC current from a clipped amp and turning it into light......dammit i wish i couod remember what it was called!!!!

16. CadillacETC1997

dude you have no idea lol
    ive been getting slaughtered at work and have alot of crap going on...
    believe me im not happy about this at all
    ill bought everything and plan to dig in tomarrow after classes....
    i had a real horrid weekend
    thanks alot guys sorry ive been lackin in my mod duties...

17. TheViking

You freekin SLACKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey we all got priorities, no problem!! i wiill be in and out of this internet thing tommorrow, so post if ypu have issues.....you damned slacker!! if I had admin priveledges, you would have benn renamed as a resident phucktard!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

18. CadillacETC1997

ok guys
    so today about 10 mins ago i finished reinstalling and driving my car to test out and recalibrate the navi system heres the deal
    i installed the 12 gague and the speakers no longer cut out HOWEVER the passenger side front upon start up of the hu and shut down makes a pop sound, also when stopped at a light and the system cranked up as loud as it was when it used to cut out, the Speedo on the hu jumps up to like 20 then back to 0 then back up and down continually until i turn the volume down somewhat.

No before you ask viking i didnt install the resistors yet didnt have time for that yet especiall to get the door speaks out i need to pull the door panel then the bose boxes which is like 15 mins a door, but its on the plans for tomarrow

just thought id update you guys thus far THANKS!