HT set-up discussion.

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by aznboi3644, Feb 23, 2008.

1. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

i have an onkyo tx-8222 reciever. simple 2 channel that i use for music. and its powering two polk r300s which have an msrp of 400$/pair but you can find them as cheap as 100$/pair around the internet. Im quite impressed at how they sound. one 6.5" driver digs down to below 45hz in a normal rear ported design.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

nice..

i also went back to my sony towers cause when we throw parties we like our music a little loud and the tiny bookshef units werent up to it

3. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

polks are always up to it! lol im addicted to polk.

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah...my sonys can get pretty loud. I'm sure they can take a solid 100 watts if high passed so they don't bottom out.

5. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Well this may or may not apply, but I have a set of Bose speakers....Now...

Back when I bought them, I checked out speakers at the time (Best Buy was brand new and the only thing close to me) for about $200.00 each...What I heard from these, surpassed the other stuff there...Now these are Bose 401 models...I rarely have seen them anywhere since I bought mine....They are about 30" tall floor speakers, and they are bipolar...From the top they are triangular shaped. When you space them, the triangle shape makes a natural tilt in towards the center...I believe under the front grill is a 5.25" woofer and a tweeter and I think out the back side is either a single tweeter or a single woofer (will have to check)....These speakers sound fantastic...very good sound throughout the range and I rattled many a thing off the wall with them. I ran them in two channel mode with my Sansui integrated amp and they always sounded good....These are nothing like the 201 & bookshelf models. Or that all in one system...Those are very overrated and overpriced, but these 401's are very nice speakers.....

Now my current main speakers are JBL L7's and they freakin rock...

Willy

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah...i've heard that the 401's are nice.

I'm just saying that all bose lifestyles surround sound sucks with the super small speakers...there's no way those can produce any midbass

7. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I agree.....For the average person who don't care about good audio (like my mom and dad, grandparents, etc)...they see this big pitch and these tiny speakers and buy the stuff....

I had some old neighbors that were older folks and they went and bought a whole surround package...Well the salesman didn't really get what their needs were...They had a mono VCR and just basic cable...They really were looking at just having the rear speakers near the sitting area to be able to hear what was on TV better...you know as well as I do, when you are watching "murder she wrote" there is not alot of info goin through the surround channels and using that as their main sound actually clouds the dialogue....So I set it up in stereo and put the front speakers near them...

they loved it

Willy