Hooking up fans?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by cccullen, Mar 10, 2008.

1. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

oh ok then the mtx amps are for your wife's car?

maybe you can get the little man to set the gains when its put together.lol

he'll be your assistant.

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

lol. maybe i should just trash the fans and give the little guy a fan to keep them cool. He's small so it wouldn't cost much at all to feed him. lol

Yes, the MTX amps are for my wife's car. She wants a little bass so I'm just going to set her up along with my car. I'm going to put a simple false floor in her car too and just put the sub on top of the false floor. She'll be very happy with that and i will too. I already put new seps in her car and coax in the rear doors. All i need now is all the stuff i bought.

3. pedro quiroga

cool. what kind of box for the trunk of her car

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well i'm just going to use the 12" crappy sony xplod for her CRV. It will fit fine but it's a sealed box.

5. pedro quiroga

as long as it sounds good.i'm sure she will be happy

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Cool program! A little complicated though. My guy's name is george, he watches over my system and lives inside the sub box!

Attached Files:

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

your pretty good with google sketch. I'm not a very artistic person so my knowledge with things like that is VERY limited. nice! you did all the drawings? that's real good electro

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

no, this was my first time trying it, all i drew was the sub box, everything else is just pasted in through the program. I don't like how its set up but i'm sure it can do amazing things if you want to put the time in. I use adobe illustrator pretty well every day for work so i'm used to that program and like how it's set up.

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

I did draw this though from a picture, with adobe illustrator.

Attached Files:

10. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

more..I've done lot's like this. I didn't draw the trees in this one.

Attached Files:

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's really good. I could never do anything near that let alone think up something like that.lol Are you an architect?

12. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

If you buy some fans at radioshack, they work nice....Just make sure they are DC voltage fans and not AC....I would just power and ground the relay from your amp power and ground, then use the remote turn on wire to turn the relay on...That is how I did it in the past and it worked perfect...you can either turn the fans around to push or pull, or you can wire them in reverse, either way it will probably not make any difference....

If it were me, I would probably put two on each end...Two pushing air in and two pulling air out...The way you have it should work fine too...As long as you are moving air around them...Make sure you lave a little air gap on top of the amps so air can get up around there...Even if the gap is 1/4"..just don't sit the MDF directly on the heat sink (top) of the amp...

Willy

13. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

in terms of fan placement. think of a computer. the intake fan is at the bottom and in the front and the exhaust fan is at the top in the rear. Heat rises so as the cool air comes in it circulates over the components causing the air to become hot so it rises to the top fan and is easily removed. So just try to position the fans in a way that will allow nature to help out with the cooling. forcing the air where it doesnt want to go will restrict your cooling. im willing to say you could get by with just one fan being used as an exhaust with vents around the bottom of the false floor.

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Thanks for you input. I'm going to try first without the fans, the nine.1 has an internal fan so i'm going to see if it will stay cool without the fans. If it doesn't then i'll put the fans in.

15. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

16. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

my friends nine.1 pushin two 13ov.2s at 1ohm is always cool to the touch.

17. pedro quiroga

it doesnt run hot.

didnt check after todays beating.will do it tomorrow tho.

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's what i've heard. I really don't want to runs fans but if i have to then i will. Seems like a real pain in the ass to do it, especially cuz it will be my first time.

19. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

My Nine.1 runs pretty cool. It'll get warm but never hot. That one little fan does a lot. I can feel the air moving out the sides if I try