Hooking up fans?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by cccullen, Mar 10, 2008.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

ok, I'm totally ignorant when it comes to stuff like this. I have no idea how to hook up fans for the push/pull method. All I know is that I gotta buy 4 fans (2 pushing and 2 pulling) or maybe more and i know i'm going to need relays (don't know how many i need though).

How would i go about hooking the fans up? I'm going to need some detailed instructions cuz i'm going to TRY to do it myself. Do i have to run a separate power and ground line for them or do i just tap it off the amp power/ground? I know that i should tap into the remote but i just don't know the exact steps.

I'm going to need some help...

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

found this on the12volt.com. is this what i have to do?

Attached Files:

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

that looks about right.

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Wire the fans out of phase in relation to each other for the push pull

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

but the remote and power, do i just tap at the amp?

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

for power tap into the ignition/accessory wire or just run a new 16-12 gauge wire.

For the remote wire just tap into the remote lead from the head unit. You can wire a simple switch between the remote and the relay so you can turn it off whenever you don't need it like in the winter

7. pedro quiroga

huh?wouldnt it be easier to just turn the fans around?

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

This is perfect, i don't think hooking up 3 or 4 fans on the remote wires power is a good thing. Wasn't meant for that. The fans? lol i just have mine blasting at the fins and underneath on the circuitboard. I don't know how you can wire them differently, can only do it one way as far as i know, they are meant to spin one way too.

Attached Files:

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

didn't think of putting a fan under the circuit board. I was just think of putting 2 pushing on one side of the the false floor and 2 pulling on the other side. Do they have to be right near the amp or can it be like 1 foot away from the amps?
    well i know that i'll always need the fans here cuz we don't have winter. We have two seasons here, DRY and WET and it's always hot as hell here. So i won't screwing anything up by tapping into the remote lead from the head unit?

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

lol I wasn't being serious...just trying to be confusing haha

11. pedro quiroga

oh.then it worked.lol

12. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol, got me too. Use the remote from the head unit just to turn on the relay. Then if you have another power wire acc like azn said run that to the relay like in your pic. That way the fans are running off of your acc wire not the remote wire for your deck.

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

this is how it should be from the diagram

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I tried to draw something up so you can have an idea of what i THINK i should do. I don't know if i'm on the right track or i'm just complicating things. I suck a making things like this, but the little blocks represent the fans, the big blocks the amps. I have it so the two fans on either side will be pushing cool air and the two fans in the middle will be pulling hot air. Does it seem ok???

I know the drawing sucks but it's the best i could do. lol

Attached Files:

15. pedro quiroga

just those 2 amps?whats that on top of them?

other than that it looks like it should work fine.

16. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

there will be 1/2" MDF on top of the whole false floor. that's just a view so can see how the fans will be configured. hahaha, told you it wasn't a good sketch.

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

this may be a little better. Again, i'm not good at this. The red blocks are the fans. the whole thing will be covered with 1/2 MDF with just windows to see the Amps so everything else will be hidden. the outer fans will be pulling cool air and the fans in the middle will be pushing the hot air out. Don't pay attention to the guy standing there, i didn't know how to get rid of him. LOL

Attached Files:

18. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

he lives there...Looks good man, nice design!

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

which amps are you using?

20. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

this is for the HIFONICS BXi1206D and the HIFONICS ZXI6406. they supposedly run cool.