Hey all. I have one :D

Discussion in 'Automotive PC (Computer)' started by saahild, Apr 29, 2008.

1. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Sweet, i wasn't messing around, i was thinking instead of using the liliput touch screen, get a 15" or 17" regular home pc flat screen then you can have a small keyboard and wireless mouse and use it like a home pc. I have an amd 3800+ dual core tower with 3 firewire hard drives for 700 gigs. How much is the touchscreen roughly?

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Attached Files:

3. saahild

saahild Full Member

Between $200-300 would be a good price to pay. Keep in mind though that the most powerful car power supply for computers is only 220W. What is the power requirement of your rig?

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

oh that sucks, i have a 550 watt power supply in my tower and the monitor i'm guessing 100 watts? I don't know. There is an alternator i saw one time it converted dc to ac and had a harness with plugins like the wall outlets 120 volts. You sure there's nothing more powerful than the 220 watt?

5. saahild

saahild Full Member

I know they are working on more powerful ones atm. Maybe in a couple months there might be? Buy no where near 550 I don't think. Those inverters provide very unclean power tbh mate. No good for running a computer. If you give me an idea of a basic budget I could sort you out a nice little shopping list if you want.

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

LOL, i just thought of something, the computer takes 12 volts and 6 volts dc in the motherboard right?........//////// So i bet it's possible to bypass the power supply in the tower and wire direct from the car's power 12v with a little transformer to make another 6 volts straight to the motherboard.

7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

No it's ok, i'd rather build something with what i have, but i am very interested in this lol.

8. saahild

saahild Full Member

Hmm that is true. Not really looked into it too much from that side of things. In essence all the power supply does at home is convert AC to DC and give the 12v 5v and 1.5v lines the power they need when they ask for it. So would be possible just to connect directly to the battery. But then again I think it is not as simple as that otherwise people would not bother using dedicated car power supplies.

I am sure if you got ride of a couple of your hard disks and used a slightly older (read slower) processor then you should be fine. There is a 320w power supply avaliable not a 220. Well that is your maximum atm anyway. But even then 320w is quite alot in a car environment as far as power goes. And also considering a decently fast system can be made that needs less then 110w, you don't really need a system that requires more. This is in a car after all. it just really has to play music and decode videos and possibly a bit of sat nav here or there too. My system is currently fast enough to do data logging from an aftermarket ECU and it currently uses, or atleast is supposed to be using 120w.

9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

will the liliput work for a laptop?

oh dont need it. i'll show you guys my caputer in a bit.lol

have to walk the dog and shower...13 hours of work tend to get a person a bit gamey. lol

10. pedro quiroga

mac and me. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

it hangs up some times. i never use it.it gets confused too easily. it is cool tho

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

That's cool pedro.. WTF is that? I want one of those. voice recognition is neat.

12. pedro quiroga

its my apple macbook.

it was plugged into my aux in on my pioneer head.thru the headphone out.

13. saahild

saahild Full Member

The liliput would work with that if it has a vga out and a usb in :D

14. pedro quiroga

no vga just the weird little apple monitor plug. has 2 usb ins.

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

100 watts up to 3000 watts

DC to AC Power Inverter, Car Power Inverter, Kingson Electronics

Model Number KV-3300 KV-3000

DC TO AC POWER INVERTER

Specifications
    Voltage In 12VDC or 24VDC
    Voltage Out 115V, 220V, 230V or 240V
    Continuous Power 3300W 3000W
    Peak Power 6600W 6000W
    Frequency 60Hz +/-3Hz 50Hz or 60Hz +/-3Hz
    No Load Current Draw 2.5A 2.5A
    Efficiency >80% >80%
    Fuse 40A x 8 40A x 8
    Cooling Fan Cooling Fan x2 Cooling Fan x2
    Operating Temperture -30°C~40°C -30°C~40°C
    Storage Temperature -30°C~70°C -30°C~70°C
    Weight 5kg 5kg
    Dimension 440 x 190 x 95mm (LxWxH) 440 x 190 x 95mm (LxWxH)

16. saahild

saahild Full Member

Was advised against using those by the guys over at digital-car.co.uk and mp3car.com. Don't know the exact scientific reason but it goes something along the lines of the power they give is very unclean and will fry a motherboard.

17. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hmm, ok can you post the model number of the one your using?

18. saahild

saahild Full Member

M2-Atx. It is a 160w power supply. But it is more then sufficient for what I am using it for atm.

M2-ATX power supply.

There is a really good website that tells you how much power things take. I will find it asap.

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Sweet !! I'll have to put something together, i have lots of older crap here, like you said it just has to play music and vids. Can you post the link for the highest power rated supply. Thanks

20. saahild

saahild Full Member