Help

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by Eclipsed, Jul 17, 2006.

1. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I've heard mixed opinions on this subject but...i've heard that if you are adding a nother battery it needs to be the same kind and replace both at the same time...so will it damage anything to just add another battery to my exhisting system???...battery under the hood is a duralast deep cycle 850 CCA

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Adding another battery to the car will only achive one thing in reality, it will allow longer play time at higher volumes, The alternator will not keep up. If it cant keep up with one battery and the loads on the electrical system, adding another will not improve the voltage/current draw situation.

But, your correct in the fact that if another battery is installed it should be the SAME. ideally, it should be 2 NEW batteries installed, otherwise the stronger battery will discharge ito the weakler one, not a good thing.

3. Eclipsed

Eclipsed Full Member

Well, the light in my box was blinking last night, so I just got off work and was going to fix it, but I popped off the fiberglass to find the top of the box has vibrated apart along with 3 screws vibrated out. The vibrations and heat from my subsbeing upsiade down have knocked the circuit board loose in my light which it doesn't work anymore, but I'll fix that. So now, I'm going to turn the subs the other way and hope they down light the box on fire, those bastards get hot!!!! But, I noticed something when just tweaking on my amp a bit, if I turn down my Crossover Freq. it plays louder longer that what it has been but I guess something gives and it goes.

4. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Lowering the crossover will help but not fix your problem. It allows the amp and subs to produce a norrower range of sound. Subs arent efficent at producing the higher frequencies in the sound they make. That is why you need midrange woofers.(the type in coaxil speakers) Elinating those frequencies from the subs job allows them to work better.

You will still need to solve the problem with the HU cutting out. I wouldnt suggest lowering the crossover all the way without hearing someone elses oppion on the matter. (to cover my own noobish ass)

5. TheViking

Did you ever test your cars electrical system? If not, dont waste our time, we are offering you advice, and knowledgable advice at that. So please do as we ask, or you are wasting everyones time.

Not tryin to ba an a-hole (even if i am), but we cant help you unless you help us....:)

6. Eclipsed

Eclipsed Full Member

Ok, I unhooked my amp completely from the battery and headunit, and bleh itwent out at high volume. So I assume the headunit is defective in some sort of way?

I also noticed that once I got it all back together my headlights were dimming when my subs hit (I was workingin the dark with a lil light) So, then my alternator isn't holding all the power good.

New alternator?

7. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Did you do the big 3?

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Yes...first big three...always

9. Eclipsed

Eclipsed Full Member

Elaborate on the big 3 please :p

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

if his radio is still shutting down couldnt it be a heat related issue with his radio.i used to have an s-15 with no a/c and in the summer it would stut down after 20 mins of listening.i took it out and held it in my hands and had a house fan blowing on it and it didnt shut down(engine running).so i got a 12volt fan from radio shack.attached it to the back of the radio and presto.no more problems.but definetly do the BIG 3 thing too.

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok i,ll check back tommorow.i hope you figure it out soon.(i.ll be back 6pm eastern time)good luck.

12. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I have found that most stock charging systems can easily handle multiple batteries provided they are not run down. The main purpose for adding an additional battery (near the amp) is to shorten the distance between the amp and its power source. In every case, the additional battery has helped (high output applications).

In fact both Hondas (tale of 2-1/2 Hondas) had 3 and 5 batteries on stock Honda Alternaters and neither owner ever reported a problem.

13. TheViking

I agree overall. My point is that the addition of a second (or third, fourth, etc) battery will not allow for long term gains in amplifier performance. The batteries will eventualy succomb to the lack of alternator output, and be in a low voltage state. Especially true when alot of folks run their sytems at full output and beyond while sitting in the parking lot, or just cruising.

But yes, a battery closer to the amp is the way to go, I agree. Better than a cap.

and this works great, especially for short term "crank it till your head is ripped off SPL systems"

I think we are on the same page here.........

14. Eclipsed

Eclipsed Full Member

Ok, found out my box has been vibrated to death and I think my amp bit it. It went into protection mode and never came out (About 15mins). So I have to take out my box and I plan on going in a trading my amp for a smaller one (Wattage). Maybe less watts will help the H/U and I'm checking in on the big 3.

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Sorry to threadjack this eclipsed...but...so, Viking and Ranger...if I add another battery in the back closer to the amp will it damage anything in the long run...From what you've say I still don't know...because I don't really have the money right now to buy two new batteries...I just got a new battery like 6 or 7 months ago...duralast deep cycle.

16. TheViking

Chances are, no. it wont damage anything. If you need advice on wiring it in, lets start anothr thread:)

17. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

no, it wont damage anything, and IMO, it's the way to go.. especially if you have a tight engine compartment.

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Sorry...im lazy...thats all I need...Don't need any more info on the wire...I already know how to do that...All I wanted to know is if it would F anything up.

Now Eclipse....back to you.

19. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I want to elaborate on something the Viking said. A second Battery will not hurt anything, but it is NOT a license to play your stereo all night with the engine off. While the alternator can keep 2 or more batteries charged, it cannot charge 2 really weak batteries, this WILL damage a stock alternator in short order.

Make sure any battery in the car with you is either a Gel Cell (no fumes) or in an approved and vented battery Box. With a proper hold Down. It must be fused at both ends.

If your amp normally requires a 4-ga wire run, then both batteries need to be connected with a 4-ga wire run. Both batteries need to be grounded with a short 4 ga wire. A second battery in not a excuse to short cut anything.