Help with base JBL Amp Adjustments

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by suuperfrk, Mar 28, 2010.

1. suuperfrk

suuperfrk New Member

Relative newbie to all this. I have a JBL GTO 5355 5 channel amp and am confused by the settings. All the settings for gain and freq came out of the box cranked wide open and I am sure that is not right.

So I wonder were the base freq setting should be for..........

I have up front 6.5 components and adustment from 32-320HZ

In the deack I have 6 X 9 Coaxial and adustment from 32-320HZ

And I have a 10" Sub that says it work 23-400HZ, and settings on the.....

LP 20-200HZ

and HP 10- 100HZ

Also, on the speakers, I have LPF - Flat - HPF switches?

Adnd I assume I should start with all the levels in the middle?

I am almost ready to fire it up but it will be a little hard to adjust it all once it is mounted.

Thanks in advance

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Well the 6.5 comps will have crossovers and the 6x9 will be full range so on the amp they should be flat. As for the subwoofer set on lp and set it around 400hz

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

fstrfvo: 400hz on a sub? kinda high don't you think?

your 6.5' on a HP filter between 80-120hz - you have to listen to the speakers to see if they can handle 80hz though. personally i would put it up to 120hz with a HP filter to be safe.

6x9's like fstrfvo said on full range (flat)

for the 10" sub that you got i would keep it on a LP filter to about 80hz.

all your gains, you should start from ZERO!!! get a multimeter and adjust your gains from there. the level or gain is NOT a volume knob, it's to match the voltage or wattage that your speakers can handle.

here's a video to help you out on how to set your gain on your amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm4aaC87ARg

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

dont you think higher than 80 cc, id say at least where the other speakers cut off.

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

all depends on where he'll crossover the components. if he crosses over at 80 then 80 for the subs too, unless he wants to overlap the points then 100hz. :)

6. suuperfrk

suuperfrk New Member

Thanks guys. I will be playing with it today. At least now I have some idea where to set it.