help on subs and amp

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by speedracer008, Dec 20, 2006.

1. speedracer008

speedracer008 Full Member

what do u think would be better for the money then..thoes two infinity's? or the single jl?

and should i be looking for a two chanel amp?

2. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

a class D monoblock that is 2 ohm stable is all you need with 2 of those Infinities. There is no way that JL can match the output vs 2 Infinity Kappa Perfects, all other variables being equal.

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Dave...all other variables cannot be equal lol way too many.

It is POSSIBLE for the JL to have more output....it depends on THE BOX!!!!

Arghh!!!!!

But for this situation I'd go for the two Infinities..I've heard them in person and damn do they sound nice

4. speedracer008

would this 10" kicker be better than theese other subs...let me know which are going to be my best bet. im trying to narrow down my choices :p

10" kicker
    http://www.millionbuy.com/kik06s10l54.html

2 12" mtx
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qw9n6WPeHU7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=236T4512

2 12" kickers
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qw9n6WPeHU7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=2065C124

with the single kicker...if you guys say it is ok and i try it out and i like it i might end up getting two...just to let you know...

as for amps...whats the rule for how much rms u want an amp to have..slightly over the rms of the sub? help me out please:huh:

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

thats a nice ass sub.(kicker) i should know i have one in a 2.25 cu ft box.it sounded as loud as two pioneer 12's with about 500 watts going to them.(heard them in a friends trunk)

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Out those three I'd suggest that L7 over the other two any day

Put it in a nice ported box with about 500-600 clean watts and you're good.

7. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

L7 yeah much better than comps or 4500's

8. speedracer008

ok just to get this straight..if i wanted 500 wats would i be able to get a 2 chanel amp that puts out 250 each? and the bridge them?

9. pedro quiroga

yes you can.but you have to take the subs impeadence(ohm load) into consideration.what is the subs final load going to be on the amp?when you know that. you can pick an amp that can handle it.

10. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

I would prefer to get a monoblock Class D amp to power subs.

11. speedracer008

could you guys help in sugesting some? links are helpful aswell...nothing too expensive...like 150 and under if i could?

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Speedy it depends on the final impedance you'll have with your woofer(s).

13. speedracer008

alright gotchya...i have no clue what that is? please explain

14. pedro quiroga

what subs do you have again?

15. speedracer008

im leaning towards that 10" kicker (its square..there is a link to it on the previous page)

16. pedro quiroga

ok then it's a dual 4 ohm sub.just like mine.so look for an amp that is 2 ohm mono stable.somewere in the 400 to 500 watt range rms.

17. pedro quiroga

18. speedracer008

mk...im gonna need 2 find some plans for a box next... :/

19. speedracer008

not bad dave..i like that...well im going to bed now ill probably have more questions in the morning..thanks for the help guys!