help. built a sealed box too big. want to port it

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by mvp2765, Dec 16, 2010.

1. mvp2765

mvp2765 Member

ok, so i've built a box outta 3/4 mdf.. Dimensions are 27x18x10 and volume is about 2.05 cub inches. I basically built the box to fit snug in spare tire well not paying too close attention to volume specs. THe box is currently sealed for a single 12' sub facing upwards. I have an alpine type R 12' sub that i am going to use.

What i want to do now is port the box since i have too much extra air space in the box. Like everyone else, i want a tune of around 35 hertz.

Here is where i need opinions and help. Does a 4 inch tube diameter sound right with a length of 15 inches? Also where do i put this vent or port? On top and elbow the rest of the tubing toward the sub or away from the sub? Do i put the vent on the front of the box facing towards the cabin, or on any of the sides? How do i secure the the tubing down in the box? Note: THe box is built and carpeted already.

Also are there any good sites that sell these porting vents and tubing? Would i need more than one vent. Also are flared type vents the best? Any recommendations on a type would be helpful also. Thanks a ton

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Actually a 4-inch vent would need to be between 11.25 to 11.5 inches. That will get you your 35Hz tuning. As far as what to use, PVC is what I use for round ports.

The ideal placement is always on the baffle board with the speaker, but the side of the box will also work well. The port will need to be screwed to the MDF and sealed from the back side using chaulk.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. mvp2765

mvp2765 Member

u mean 11.25 - 11.5 inches in length? And is it fine to elbow the tube because i only have like 8inches for height if i place the vent up top. Also does the opening part of the tube need to be facing a wall inside the sub box? thanks for the help

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes,that is what I meant. Yes, it is OK to have a turn in the port. Do not use the turn as part of the length. Only use the straight parts for calculating the length of the port