HB's new car!

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by Honest Bob, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

After my SE-R blew up I figured it was time for a brand new car.
    2005 Platinum Silver Metalic Subaru WRX Wagon.
    My first "quick" car. :D

Pics

2. DSM/137dbs

DSM/137dbs Full Member

Congrats. Turbos are wonderful things. What have you done to it yet?

3. Streetz

Streetz Full Member

Congrats! Looks like a real nice car. I'm hoping to be able to get a new car for myself soon as well.

4. macdaddy99gst

macdaddy99gst Full Member

Congrats on the new ride ....

5. LunarEclipse

LunarEclipse Full Member

you should look into upgrading the turbo on that....if you've seen it before, its TINY....sounds like a fun car though!

6. PORTnPOLISH97

PORTnPOLISH97 Full Member

You shouldgo race an evo and lose...J/k
    Sorry the 3 diamonds have me brain washed.
    sti are sweet and They are fun so you should go do some launches

7. brentalan

brentalan Full Member

Congrats, nice car! More importantly, what are you doing to the sound system!

8. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

HB, if you've got any questions, feel free to ask, I'm a tech at a subaru dealership.

BTW - DON'T upgrade the turbo without upgrading other parts first. The engine may take more boost, but the trans will live a very, very short life. Read up on the WRX weaknesses first before attempting upgrades. It'll make your car faster and more reliable in the long run.

www.nasioc.com.

I've pulled WRX tranny's wiht 25k miles and less that have had bent mainshafts and cooked clutches from idiots doing 6k rpm launches. If your goign to launch an AWD car - do it right. Learn how to load the clutch, and launch at a more normal rev like 3k (I'm not sure exactly what rpm, I never launched my Outback Sport, no point in it).

9. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

dont upgrade the turbo!!!

ditto on that last reply. I just sold my 99 GT (pre-WRX impreza turbo)...

the standard turbo can get you way past 1.2bar pressure, which also happens to be the "hurting" point of pistons and conrods of the standard weerex engine... actually, you have to decrease the pressure above 6000rpm to prevent the lump from melting... :rolleyes:

this means that increasing turbo size gets you NO more power :mad: up top, and less (sometimes WAY less, depending on turbo size) power down low.

The road to a bigger turbo::cool:

1. hollow out your first two catalyzers
    2. get a decent silencer (supersprint, magnex, etc)
    3. get rid of the intake resonator
    4. get a silk airfilter (oily filters are nasty for the MAF sensor)
    5. get a good aftermarket knock sensor (high frequency knock, due to high pressure at high rpm, is most common cause of scoob engine failure)
    6. get an electronic boost controller (aprexi avc-r) and raise boost to the tune of 1.3bar up to 5000rpm, 1.2 up to 6000 and lower linearly from there to 0.8 by 7500rpm.

Do NOT get (6) without (1-5), its costly to do so.

...that should let your engine live to see 200k miles and put a fat, fat smile on your face. You wont believe the difference :eek:. The above will cost about USD1500-2000, depending how smart you are getting parts, and how handy you're at installing, and are all very effective upgrades.

A first brake upgrade (ferodo pads and bremsa or tarox discs will ring in pretty soon, depending on your driving style and the amt of curves on the road)

then:

either import a "proper" japanese LHD STi, or:

a. get serious brakes (read: big discs and calipers)
    b. swaybars, strutbars, 12point welded cage, coilovers, MRT adjustable dome mounts (lots of negative caster up front is important!!), camber bolts, etc...
    c. STi tranny
    d. Intake upgrade (cone filter and samco inlet pipe)
    e. 2.5L bottom end
    f. racing headers (kills the subaru sound if theyre equal length, so think about this one :)
    g. ported heads

and by now, another USD12000+ later :eek::eek::eek: you can start thinking about a bigger turbo... and it wont be much bigger that the one on now, at least not visually :) and of course you then need a (h) apexi PowerFC ECU and a good remap. Now it costs USD15000+, dang!

However, if you should ever make it to this point, you will have the bloody fastest wagon around for a 100mile radius. Buddy with the lancer evo (or basically any car at this point) beside you will think you're runnig nitrous. Which of course you could, although you're already at 400hp+ :D:D

hope this was encouraging.
    realization of all the above and stiff swiss restrictions made me sell the car at point (4).

10. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

whoops...

...I also had the first brake upgrade (super good as well, highly recommended) and almost all the suspension mods i listed.

in switzerland this made a lot of sense, tons of curves everywhere - not only a ton more fun with a better suspension, it actually saved a lot of tire wear too.

in america, i dont know, you have to know. Hard damping can be a pain when driving long straight roads.....

11. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Sweet ride man.