Got My Imagination Going...

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by geolemon, Jan 5, 2004.

1. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I've always liked classic cars... (mostly customs, hot-rods)
    I've always liked custom trucks (mostly lowriders, minis)
    I've always liked unique vehicles, over common vehicles
    I've always liked boosted little motors over big-block solutions.
    I've always been a classic VW fan also.

I've always had this thought in my head, that apparantly no other custom builders have... :p

Why not restore an older vehicle, trick it out, customize it... take advantage of all the style of yesterday...
    ...but then add all the luxury items and interior features of a car of today!
    What I mean is in the sense of a transplant of a newer car's interior, right into the older car... regardless of make or model...
    Modify the dash and seat tracks to make them fit. Seen it done in mini-trucks a hundred times, why not other hot rods?

And the other part of my vision...
    Different than the usual hot-rod, built usually for drag racing...
    Why not put a modern powertrain on it?
    I'm thinking something like a Subaru WRX (doesn't even need to be the STi) drivetrain...
    ...in the vehicle I'm thinking of, it would have to be done 'backwards'... but you'll see why in a minute...

I always thought these trucks were cool...
    They are also pretty rare, unique, it's a VW...
    It would look damn cool lowered (and wouldn't require a body-drop to get there) over custom chromies....
    It's got a big cab, and a big empty compartment under the bed... can you say "system?" (also came in extended-cab and crew cab)
    Check it out:
    [​IMG]

So I'm picturing that truck, with something like a Lincoln Aviator interior... as OEM looking as possible (with no Lincoln badges inside, of course)...
    With a Subaru drivetrain... floor-pan modified as necessary to accomodate.

Obviously, this is without regard to budget or time...

Other people might dream of "If I had a million dollars.. I'd have a Ferarri!"
    This is MY dream... I dream in terms of custom, not stock. B)

2. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Give it your best but that car looks like ass....if you make it pimp more kudos to you!

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Not to burst your bubble GEO but from what I've read the regular WRX tranny's dont hold up to well to drag racing. I'd go with the STI drivetrain. I've been looking into possibly purchasing a WRX. Even dispite the lacking tranny. Otherwise I think that would be pimp! :yes:

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Oh, I'm no drag racer. ;)

And this is more conceptually something I've been pondering...

Take a very classic car, something with a very cool style, do it up however you want with the bodywork, paint, suspension, etc...

And transplant either a newer car interior, or base it off a newer car interior...

...with a newer car powerplant (a capable one like the WRX would be fun is all)...

...so that you'd have a hot-rod that would have all the ergonomics and power and handling of a modern car.

Functionally, a modern car, with a unique and classic style.

I like unique, trucks, light car performance, turbos, all-wheel drive, and lowriders, and custom cars that actually have practicality... so I thought this particular combo would just fit me well.

If you've never seen a classic VW bus or truck (granted, they are rarer) done up cal-look style, you are missing out.

A little customization and they are damn cool. :cool:

But it's still more the concept that I'm hot on..
    not this particular permutation, per se. ;)

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Check it out...

Here is a cool one that someone actually converted into an electric vehicle!

Anyone that knows anything about these old VW busses (and trucks) knows that can really only be an improvement... the stock engine was good for about 36 HP or so in the 50's. :blink:

[​IMG]

6. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

ROTFLMAO! :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

It'd be funny to see a 5 foot tall dude driving that thing :lol: :eek:

J/K Chris

Please don't chastize me :blush: