got a black light question

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by connerray2010, Nov 17, 2010.

1. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

I don't know if I'm in the right spot for this question but here it is. I have a black light laying around and it runs off 8AA batterys (not in a strait line "there 8 sidebyside" 4in one roll and 4 in a different roll) and I'm wanting to hard wire it to my car. I know that 8AA batterys =12 but I'm not sure if that means all 8 in a single line (series) or just 8 batterys any way I put them together. I'm kind of confused. Help....

2. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

Most likely series (all the AA's add up to 12 volts) So take the + wire and the - wire from the battery box and hook it up to preferable switch (could be headlights, or even the ignition if you want it on all the time, its user preference) If you wanted you could always attach a cigarette lighter end on and use that
    It shouldn't be too challenging

3. connerray2010

So It won't hurt the black light or any other problems will occur if I hook it up to the car battery? (Its going in the trunk and I will tap the wire to the light in the trunk and hook up some kind of toggle switch to alternate between the black light and regular (so if I need to see I can flip the switch and have normal light. Or If I want my sub to have that glow then flip the switch and I'll have black light...... So what's a way to have this set up I wrote above? Put the toggle after the tap(between light and wire tap )and put another toggle between power and black light? Any other ways?

4. connerray2010

Any other input on this? Will it work w/o blowing a perfectly good blacklight bulb?

5. connerray2010

O yeah what size fuse should I use? 5A? 10A? Lower? Higher?

6. Collapsednut

Collapsednut Member

I think, dont quote me, to get the fuse size you will do P / E = I
    P=power or Watts
    E=energy or voltage
    I= Current/Amp
    So figure out how many watt the light bulb is and divide that by the 12 volts, then you will know how many amps it will draw. Get that same size fuse.