Good HT receiver

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by cccullen, Apr 23, 2008.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I know nothing about HT so I really need your help.

My father is looking for a very good receiver for his home theater. He wants something that an ipod or a SD card (don't know if these kind of receivers exist) can be connected into so he can just take the music from the ipod or SD card.

He has an onkyo right now but it took a crap on him and blew out all the tweets so he just wants to upgrade.

As I said before, I know nothing about HT so I really need your help.

In his upstairs theater he's using all paradigm HT speakers 7.1 and the downstairs he's just using Bic (He just wanted ok sound for there).

2. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

which model onkyo did he have? I havent seen anything with SD yet... but I wouldnt go with anything else than Onkyo... best bang for the buck... denon is overrated... yamaha mediocre... Harman Kardon good if you get a deal on one... Sony high end is good... Pioneer has some good stuff their Elite line is awesome.

3. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I have the Onkyo TX-SR705 and its a nice unit. I dont have an IPOD (dont laugh) so I have not tried out that feature of the unit. You do need to buy a docking port or somthing like that but it does have a feature for a IPOD. By the way I have Paradigm Titan speakers all the around and the sound is awesome, your father has good taste in speakers. You might want to check out Denon also, im sure they have a model that has IPOD input. Just as in car audio id stay away from Sony except for the ES models.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

yamaha is good too.

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

The model is a Onkyo TX-SR603 he had that took a crap. well, i just talked to him again. This is what he wants:

1. of course a 5.1 or 7.1 it doesn't have to be THX certified.
    2. He wants to be able to put an ipod to it (via docking station)
    3. 80-100 watts per channel
    4. he also has an amp so he wants to be able to connect that amp to the receiver.
    5. budget around $350-$600

Throw some models my way. I think he likes onkyo cuz his receiver in the Av room is onkyo and the receiver in the basement is an onkyo. I just didn't know if they were any good.

He's leaving for the U.S. next week so He wants me to find him a decent amp. lol I have no idea on how to do this, that's why I need your help...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I'm just throwing models out there but what about the Onkyo TX-SR605? can another amp be connected into this receiver?

It's supposed to be a good receiver, very highly rated. but again, i really don't know. Damn, i got to learn about HT. I hate not knowing a thing about this.lol

7. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

What is it that he is amping in the system... fronts? My brother has the 605 and he got it for 400 or so... good features plus hdmi... he should try the 705. most every brand can be hooked up to an ipod with a dock which is another 100 bucks.

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

he's got another amp to power speakers in his wine tasting room. the basement (where the amp will be) has a 5.1 set up, an additional 2 speakers in the billiard room, and another 2 speakers in the wine tasting room.

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Can't go wrong with Onkyo, worth every penny. I have an older model hooked up to my computer but it's loud and clean and deep too lol.

Attached Files:

10. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

HT-SR800 free ipod dock included !! lol

Onkyo HT-SR800 - 7.1-Channel Receiver/ Speaker Package | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Amplifier

# Channels 7.1
    Total System Power 1000W
    Power (8ohms 1kHz 0.9%) /Ch 110W/ch x 7ch
    Subwoofer Power 230W
    THX Certified -
    Speaker A/+B

Processing

DOLBY Decoder PLIIx, DD, DD-EX
    DTS Decoder DTS, ES, NEO6, 96/24
    Music Optimizer -
    Audyssey Dynamic EQ -
    Neural Surround

Connectivity

Audio I/O 6 / 2
    Digital Audio IN (OPT/COAX) 2 / 2
    Digital Audio OUT (OPT/COAX) -
    Composite I/O 4 / 1
    S-Video I/O 3 / 1
    Component Video / Bandwidth 3 / 50MHz
    HDMI I/O 2 / 1
    HDMI Version V1.3 Pass Through
    HDMI Bandwidth 1080p
    Component Video Upconversion -
    Analog to HDMI Upconversion -
    480i to 480p Processing -
    Multi-Channel Input 7.1
    Powered Zone2 -
    iPod Ready (DS-A2x, DS-A2, DS-A1)
    XM Radio Ready
    SIRIUS Radio Ready

DVD Player

DVD Player Type -
    Analog Audio Output -
    Digital Audio Output (OPT/COAX) -
    Composite Output -
    S-Video Output -
    Component Video Output -
    HDMI Output -
    720p / 1080i Upscaling -
    1080p Upscaling -

Speaker

Front Speaker 2Way, Dual woofer
    Center Speaker 2Way, Dual woofer
    Surround Speaker 1Way
    Subwoofer 10" Down Firing
    Cabinet Type Wood

Miscellaneous

Pre-Pro/Learning Remote / -
    Free HDMI Cable Included -
    Free iPod Dock Included -
    Color-Coded Speaker Terminals
    Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic. (Audyssey 2EQ)
    OSD Out -
    Warranty 2 YEARS

11. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Problem is, he doesn't need a package like that. he already has speakers for the whole system. He just wants to change the receiver.

Got a question... His receiver now blew out all the Bic tweeters. He figured that the amp was oscillating. After the tweets blew out the amp kept on going into protect and and shutting down by itself. I brought it to the place he bought it from and he said there's nothing wrong with it. Then we had it shipped to Manila and they put a oscilloscope to it and they said it fine.

Long story short, my dad got ****ed cuz the wiring is perfect, nothing wrong at all. In fact it was professionally wired. The guy said that because my dad has a karaoke (computer) hooked up to it, it was the analog mic that blew out the tweets. It still doesn't explain why the amp was going into protect and shutting down.

Any ideas?

13. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Hey, some good deals here, they have lots of onkyo, pick your price lol.

Receivers at Crutchfield.com

A live signal from microphones will definitely blow the tweets, mid range, subs, amp, ...real quick lol, it's not designed for a live signal. Not many home amps could stand up to that. If the tweeters smoked the amp shuts down or goes to protect when it sees the ohm load change in the speakers.

14. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I dont think you can hook an external amp up to the receivers, they are all self powered and as far as the ones I have seen do not have any inputs or outputs for amps.
    Your dad should just by a preamp and hook up his amp to it. I know some receivers can listen in 2 different rooms at the same time, get one of those and sell the amp.

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

I believe you can hook up other amps..May have to buy the ipod dock separately, don't know if it comes with it.

Onkyo TX-SR605

Onkyo TX-SR605 Home theater receiver with HDMI switching and video conversion at Crutchfield.com

Multi-Zone: The TX-SR605 features the following Zone 2 connections so you can listen to one input source in your main room and a different source in another room.

* Line Out: By using the line-level outputs on the TX-SR605 you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1 surround in the main room and play a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp.
    * Speaker Out: By using the speaker-level outputs on the TX-SR605 you can directly connect a secondary pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to listen to 5.1 surround sound in your main room and play a different audio source in the other room. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the TX-SR605 receiver.

16. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

with the receiver he has now, it can take another amp. I read it over before i connected it. The tweets blew before i connected the other amp to it.

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's how i did it. I used the zone 2.

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Electro, My dad spent a lot of money on this karaoke system (it's all computerized) so what kind of amp should i be looking for so it won't blow the tweets again. I guess the amp is ok then, it was just because the tweets blew out.

should i be looking for a separate amp for the mics? I really don't know what to do now...

19. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Here is the problem with a live mic input....It is VERY easy to overdrive the signal and make it clip...When you are using and exsisting recording of music, it has been mixed and mastered and it is free of clipping (I am talking about the signal)....With a live mic in a karaoke machine, it is usually an inexpensive mic and can easily be overdriven with a voice causing severe clip...

With pro audio (PA systems, etc)..there is always an input gain knob at the input of each channel on a mixer..First thing that needs to be done is have the source do it's thing and you watch the meters and set the gain (to match strength of the signal) Mixing boards have built in headroom to allow the signal to go into the red before it is really a hard clip....The voice going through a mic can clip tremndously in a very short time...Your speakers only reproduce what signal they get...Clipped signal and the speakers try to reproduce it...Speaker doesn't know any better...

Pro audio speakers are a little more robust and can take the abuse..Home speakers are not used to producing these transients and they will blow...

Willy

20. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

If you run a live mic through that type of set up, you really should have a compressor/limiter on the input, but even then it is hard to know because on a mixing console, you have lights and/or meters that measure the input and give you indication of clip before you hear the clip...On home audio, you have no indicator lights for clip...That is because in home audio you are dealing with amplifying pre-recorded sources that should be free of signals too hot to overload the input...

Your dads computer set up may have a place in the program to set up such a limiter...What it does is it monitors the input level and it may automatically or manually compress or limit the amount of signal allowed to pass through...

Once the signal goes beyond normal, it limits any more of the signal to go through..Kinda grabs and squeezes the signal...They can be very complicated to set up in a PA system...I don't know anything about karaoke stuff..

Willy