First Time Fiberglassing.

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by csiple, Jun 6, 2004.

1. csiple

csiple Full Member

This is my first time trying to post with images so im not sure if it will work. The preview doesn't seem to work for images or I have done something wrong. :p

This is my attempt at door pods
    [​IMG]

Another angle
    [​IMG]

Here is where the problems begin. I wrapped the fleese around the bottom mold this is how I though it was suppose to be done.
    [​IMG]

This is after a lot of sanding...
    [​IMG]

As of right now I think I might have to start over. The bottom was molded to the door but now it doesn't seem to fit quite right. Before I wrapped with fleese and resin'd the mold seemed to fit pretty good but now even after sanding it seems as if its no use.

Just thought I would share...

2. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Save yourself the trouble of starting over and make a mold of your door where you want it to go. Then attach what you already have to it.

Or you could just make the mold and then build off it.

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Or you could make what you have work with body filler. This is how I got my head unit enclosure to mold perfectly with the dash. What you do is apply tape over the door. Then place the pods on the doors where you want them. Now mix up a lot of body filler and apply it around the edge of the pod where it meets the door. Make sure the filler is pushed under the pod so it is thick. When it get's too thin, it can break. Also be sure you apply it farther than you need. You can always sand off the excess later. Now let it harden. Remove it and start to sand the sides, molding them how you want them to look. What you will get is an edge all around that will mold perfectly with the door.

As a recomendation use Duraglass, or better yet Mar-glass. They are fiberglass reinforced body fillers, so they will be much stronger. Duraglass uses small particles of fiberglass, while Mar-glass uses strands of fiberglass. Because of this, Mar-glass is the strongest, but also hardest to work with. But then, except for the thin back lip, I never had a problem with regular body filler (Rage Gold specifically).

Good luck!

Steven Kephart
    Adire audio

4. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

One other thing to try in the future. A lot of people use fleece to stretch their base, but I prefer grill cloth. It is much thinner, so you don't need even close to as much resin. It is also easier to work with IMO. Plus your finished project will be thinner, but just as strong.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

5. csiple

csiple Full Member

Awesome! Thanks for replying, I was getting pretty discouraged but feel there is hope for now. :p I haven’t been able to find duraglass or Rage Gold here locally. So I went ahead and purchased this  http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.a....asp?itemNbr=42
    Do you think I would be better off ordering that duraglass online or just use what I have?

I will definitely use the grill cloth next time! I had always read about people using fleece so I figured that was the best to use for all situations. I now think that it might be ok for projects that aren’t requiring such precision. I was thinking of using an old t-shirt instead of making a trip out at Joann’s fabric for the fleece, after looking back on it I wish I did.

6. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Be careful. Body filler isnt meant to build up too much. I would have to advise against making it thick as suggested. If you have more than a 1/4" to fill i would avoid Bondo brand at all costs. Its just cheap.

Evercoat is my brand of choice. And again if you are building up to more than 1/4" use reinforced filler. And I would probably lay a single layer of cloth on the inside around where you used the filler for strength.

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Duraglass is nice. It can usually be found in the automotive department at any Wal-Mart.

Looks great. I suggest you listen to Steven, he does nice glass work.