Ebonics....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by AbRaKaDaVa, May 1, 2002.

1. ILLCOMM

ILLCOMM Full Member

Point - sorry i've been gone so long, i can't believe you've had to defend yourself like this.

The agrument the others are making is equal to the following:

"I can't stand it when I go into a public forum in America and see everyone mispelling words and incorrectly applying grammer. This form of slang is simply lazy and should not be allowed. If you are going to be in America and on a forum use correct grammer, no abbreviations, and make sure nothing is mispelled. Otherwise you're a worthless moron who does stupid things."

You see, we in this forum, are a community. Together as such we have found convienent ways in which we communicate that either increases our efficiency or allows us an online "ethos." If an english teacher who has had no experience on the internet or in this forum were to read it I am certain they could not understand the lack of formality. Yet, our community deems it acceptable. Now, I could be the ignorant fool who says, "GUYS THIS IS OUR FORUM AND ITS IN AMERICA AND WE SPEAK ENGLISH, THERE SHOULD BE NO SLANG, NO ABBREVIATIONS, NO INFORMALITIES." But, how stupid would that sound.

My point is that we are degrading the english language as much as anyone speaking ebonics...

To assert the truth and acknowledge the other side I must point out that it is widely known that many african american civil rights activists decry the use of ebonics. They see the language as demeaning. And they, like you, are entitled to their opinion. However, not one of these leaders calls for the explusion or mistreatment of individuals who choose to use ebonics. IT'S AMERICA, the fundamental rights of the people are based on such freedoms.

If you would like to remain ignorant and claim that everyone in America speak english then go right ahead. What you've accomplished is completely anti-american. You might consider going outside and burning a flag because by even hinting at the idea that you believe people who don't speak english are somehow wrong or worse off than any other individual you are grossly mistaken.

I suggest both of you (especially the 16 year old) go culture yourselves a little. Spend an evening in a project in NYC. Face the hardships some of the minorities in this nation wake up every day to deal with. Then when you're back let me know if you can't understand why some of these people strive to create and maintain their own cultural identity.

And most of all, find another way to waste your time.

:flag:

2. superman

superman Guest

If there is not a universal language to speak to your neighbor or fellow man with, then how are you supposed to communicate? I keep trying to break this down to a basic level, IF YOU CAN NOT COMMUNICATE THEN YOU ARE DOOMED TO BE MISUNDERSTOOD!!! English is the dominant language of america, no doubt, so USE IT TO COMMUNICATE TO OTHERS! THAT is what I am screaming. Those that CHOSE to not speak english (people that speak in ebonics) are chosing to be misunderstood by the masses, a choice that bleeds ignorance.
    It is not anti american to want to communicate with your neighbor, in fact it is 100% american!! I don't go out an burn flags, or curse america I LOVE AMERICA!! The fact that I love america is evident in me even chosing to debate this topic.
    You may say that this is a waste of my time, well it isn't as long as I am stating what I feel is right, and as long as people are still subscribing to this thread.

3. AbRaKaDaVa

AbRaKaDaVa Full Member

You know..I was going to go into a nice drawn out ten paragraph long argument about how I never said that everything should be proper or that a LITTLE slang isn't any kind of a problem, or about how I said that it is only an annoyance when it gets to the point of not being able to understand the person...or about how it's not my goddamn problem if a bunch of idiots that live in the NYC projects decide its a good idea to deal with their problem by hitting the crackpipe and beating their kids and fucking their...whatever lives in the apartment with them...and making more stupid worthless welfare requiring lazy fucks that will never amount to anything because their parents are pieces of shit that smoke crack and beat on their sibilings and don't pay the electric bill because they waste all their money on fucking dope...

But instead...i'll shorten it up..

Shut up :D

4. PointSource

PointSource Guest

Thanks for the support ILLCOMM.

I find it absolutely amazing what has come out of some people's minds in this thread. It is truly unfortunate.

Thanks again.

5. ILLCOMM

ILLCOMM Full Member

you can't be serious.

6. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

Have you ever done a study on welfare? I took a Soc class that examined Welfare extensively, and the results were rather interesting. While there are those that refuse to work, the greater majority of people on Welfare want to get off Welfare. However, many times by coming off Welfare the people are much worse off. They lose housing subsidies and make less money. And for those that have kids, they are barely making it as it is on Welfare. Hell, if anything, we should be trying to spend more to get these people trained.

In terms of the language barriers, yes it would be nice if everyone could speak English. However, notice that the First Amendment protects our freedom of speech, not our freedom of only speaking English. Those immigrants who come here have EVERY right to speak whatever language they want. It's their loss if they can't interact with the general populace. However, I guarantee my ancestors in Iowa could not speak a lick of English when they came here. That doesn't mean future generations didn't. I wish I could speak Bohemian. It's something no one in the family can do today, and that is a shame.

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

that is soo true, I know a person just like that, she is a single mother that gets a $500/mo life insurance settlement from the babies father, plus get subsidied housing and food stamps

becasue of the $500 income/mo if she gets any job she loses 50% of the welfare, and has to pay 2X more in rent, and that lose would be greater than the job she would get, so she has not choice really

Ok Let me Reveiw my point of veiw, I am not saying that everyone MUST ONLY speak english, but anyone wanting to be a productive member of our socity it is pretty much neccissary for them to learn english in order both communitcate with the pubilc and to be aware of things going on in the world around them, such as Street Signs, Cautions of road hazards, and to communitcate with rescue and police personel

if they can not do those things not only are the endangering themsevles but me and my family

8. ILLCOMM

ILLCOMM Full Member

you've toned down your argument and i think its of use now. i agree that learning english is useful. but there definitely shouldn't be requirements, etc...especially in the public sector.

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

But if it is not a requirement and they dont volentarly do it then they are a danger

Ok, let me make a comprimise

Do you arge that in order for a person to obtain a Drivers license they should be reqired to read and speak english?

10. jlylereeves

jlylereeves Full Member

Yes, even a requirement for citizenship
    - my $0.02 as i interupt the conversation :D

11. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

that is the way I feel as well, but that is what started this aurgment

12. LuckyT

LuckyT New Member

ILLCOMM I think you have made some great points, allthough I personally do not like ebonics myself.

Pointsource I do not see why you think ILLCOMM is sticking up for you because you have made no points of your own to this debate. All you have done is tried to start some shit w/ Micheal. While I may not agree with him on this subject I think you should still respect peoples opinion. All you have done is try to bash every that is opposed to ebonics. I still have no idea where you stand on the subject. For all I know you agree 100% w/ Micheal and just wanted to start something. So what is your opinion on the subject at hand.

As for me I know this is a free country and everone has a right to do pretty much what they want(within legal boundaries). So if someone wants to speak ebonics, let him. But I do agree that if he wants something from me he is not going to get it if I can not understand what he wants. Especially when most people that speak ebonics know how to speak english. But for people that just do not speak english it is different. I can speak a little spanish and french so we can try to communicate w/ each other. I do not believe ebonics is a real language.

13. PointSource

PointSource Guest

No. Perhaps you should re-read the thread LuckyT?

I simply called Michael P out on his stupid ass remarks. I have not taken a side in this debate.

Michael P said something very, very offensive..........and he could of, and might of, offended a lot of people........me being one of them....

Like said before, does Michael know the race, religion, culture of everyone reading this forum? I don't think he does Lucky. He was out of line, and I personally don't care if this is his forum or not.

However, he thinks to seem that I enjoy breaking his balls. I just call him out on his stupid ass remarks, and he gets upset. Upset enough to where it apparently "raises his blood pressure", which is not my problem..........

So no, Lucky, I am not trying to start shit with Michael.........once again, whoever it may of been, someone would of stomped on his stupid ass comments..........you think I actually give a motherfuck about starting shit with Michael..........??

God I hope not.........

14. superman

superman Guest

I think that maybe Pointsource needs to settle down, maybe clean up the ranting and raving a little, and make some good points (hahaha, get it, POINT out some good POINTS POINTsource :D ) Just getting mad and pissy about someone elses comments may mask a reluctance to admit that the said coments are right. Where are you coming from Pointsource? You have yet to really tell us why you disagree with us, or is it just Mike's comments, do you disagree with my comments? Have a civil conversation with us, I myself won't resort to name calling, I am perfectly willing to hear your side, you just have to explain it to us, in non generalized terms.

15. Hobopenguin

Hobopenguin New Member

ebonics are so retarded. I was disgusted when they tried passing a bill to teach it in school. It's just an improper type of english. How about if they taught Cajun, too. I can never understand what those gator guys are sayin...heheh

16. PointSource

PointSource Guest

I'm not calling Michael names at all.......he was the one who had to make threatening remarks.....

Go back and re-read the first two pages, and you'll understand why I got offended.........it's right there people......

1) Read
    2) Comprehend
    3) Evaluate
    4) Understand
    5) Conclude

17. superman

superman Guest

Is this what you are talking about? So you beef is just with Mike.

18. ILLCOMM

ILLCOMM Full Member

This argument is not about whether anyone "likes" ebonics. Many civil liberties leaders have openly said they don't. The following is a synopsis of what this is about:

ABRA:

"I swear it's just a bunch of lazy idiots that can't speak English correctly trying to sound "cool"."

"How fucking stupid can these people get??"

"it just enrages me to the point of wants to stab people."

"Ebonics came from the fact that black slaves were unable to pronounce the English language correctly...well the black community demands their equal rights and their respect and their unity with everyone else, but yet they still speak in "slavery slang"? That’s completely idiotic."

"But here, they change the fucking road signs to accommodate the Cubans who have taken over many parts of Miami..."

"I never said that all "African Americans" (What kind of bullshit term is that anyway, they're just people who's decedents are from Africa who just happen to live in America...they're fucking Americans)"

MICHAELP:

"I am in the FIRM belief that is you can not speak AMERICAN english you do not need to be here"

"Mexicans that can not speck english need to go back to mexico or LEARN english"

"English is our lang. so immigarnts should WANT to learn this lang and most do, but there are a few that would prefer all americans to learn THEIR lang vs them learning OUR lang. and that is not going to happen, if they want to live and communitacte in our country they need to read write and speak out lang."

AND THE MOST UTTERLY STUPID UNEDUCATED RACIST STEROTYPED COMMENT I'VE EVER HEARD SOMEONE MAKE AND DEFEND: by ABRA

"or about how it's not my goddamn problem if a bunch of idiots that live in the NYC projects decide its a good idea to deal with their problem by hitting the crackpipe and beating their kids and fucking their...whatever lives in the apartment with them...and making more stupid worthless welfare requiring lazy fucks that will never amount to anything because their parents are pieces of shit that smoke crack and beat on their sibilings and don't pay the electric bill because they waste all their money on fucking dope..."

That's what this is about. I'd love to have those comments posted in public, or maybe aired on CNN.

19. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

What's that spell???

RCEUC!

That's that, I got me a new slang word for education, yo!

"Check it bra, nobody gonna lay a bigga rap on me, man...
    Got to be runnin cold upside the head, u-kno...
    I say hey, sky.. somma say I wanna say, hey..
    Prady jay I get the same-o same-o...
    Gonna nock yo-self a little RCEUC u-kno!
    Shiiiiitttttt...."

20. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Full Member

hahahah, whatt???