did anyone go to this school?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by connerray2010, Sep 2, 2010.

1. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

Has any one here done this school "mobile dynamics" online? It is a car audio school if you were wondering. Just curious cause I'm thinking about doing this and getting a good education on car audio and possibly start my own little set up installing stereos. I know the basics of installing head units amps etc but I'm sure it would pay better wityh an education amd some sort of degree. But any way just asking around to see if this is actually worth my time. Thanks

2. connerray2010

Anyone? Hmm now I'm beginning to wonder if it is a joke... Well I'll give it a shot anyways.

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I was a professional installer for a little over 12 years and I never attended any school for installing. I am completely self taught as far as installing goes

The biggest problem with finding shop help was finding people with just basic skills and knowledge. For example, many people could find 8, 9, or 10-inches on a ruler, but ask them to find 8-5/8, or 9-7/8 or any fractional value...forget it. I'm not kidding

And forget teaching just basic Ohms Law. E = IR is beyond most peoples ability to understand.

I'm not sure about an "online school". Being able to meet with or talk to your teacher is so important. Interaction between student and teacher is very helpful in promoting student understanding. (I'm a High School Math Teacher).

Learning online is not a good idea unless your really self motivated.

My 10-cents worth

4. connerray2010

im not realy smart about the ohms law and all that good stuff but iv installed two systems (head unit,amp, subs, and speakers) and both worked great. When it comes to amp and sub matching I do know that you want to over power you'r subs just a little. I know in most cases that blacks ground red's hot blue is remote then a veritiy of colors for the speakes ect ect..... like i sed i know basics thats it. Iv even built two boxes (with the tools i had)they wasnt very great but they work great. but any way thanks for you;r input

5. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I don't know anything about that school, but I've been around a lil while and have been burnt a few times.

IMO, unless its an accredited college that gives actual accredited degrees, I would say Buyer Beware!
    Ask if any credits are transferrable to state colleges. Probably not.
    Most "schools" either online or B&M have "counselors" that are basically slick car salesmen that want your money.

Will you learn stuff? ..... Yes

Will it get you a job?....Possibly.....Its probably not as valuable and necessary as the school wants you to believe it is.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this school or the audio installation profession.(I've never been a pro at this) , but I have been suckered into an Accounting school that you see on afternoon local TV that is geared to unemployed people, that seemed like it was a good idea. Yes I graduated, but I really didn't learn more than I already knew and I was a few grand lighter in my pocket.

Once I signed those loan papers to the school, the relationship between myself and the "Counselor" was exactly like the relationship of buying a car. They could care less since they got their cash in hand. As for the "Job Placement" alot of schools offer, that is a joke. Read the fine print. I was suckered into the school by them saying I could get a job starting at 35k /year (back in early 90s), but most graduates that found jobs through the school were working as accounting clerks(at best) making $8/ per hour. About $2 /hour over the minimum wage back then.

Caveat Emptor

6. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I just googled that school and it looks kinda shady to me.

http://www.mobiledynamics.com/

Ya gotta wonder why they discontinued their in-house training???

Seems like a basic webpage. Any decent school would pay a web designer to make a nice page to sell their product.

I saw a thread somewhere else that stated it was $10,000 for an 11 week program!!!!!

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole even it was only $50.

If you contact them, ask them for a few references and check the BBB.

Good Luck!!

7. ericj

ericj Full Member

I'd probably stay away from that school, too. A few hundred bucks for some basic electronics courses at your local tech college/school would probably benefit you more, as would some hands-on experience working in an install shop. It'd take you a long time for that payment of $10K to the online college to ever pay off, if it even ever did.

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I completely agree. A local tech school or college would be a great idea. Shoot for a minimum of an associates degree, in something to do with electronics.

9. connerray2010

thats just it i cant quit my job for any period of time to go to school. I have a kid and girlfriend to feed clothe and keep a roof over. So going to a school that you have to go to for 8 hr's a day or more wont "jive" so maby i can look around for any local shops that pay more than 15 an hr and slowly work into my own shop :)

10. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

Many local Colleges around me offer online classes and night school for working adults. I don't see why that wouldn't be an option. If you had an associates degree in electronics like ranger said, that could be used in many different fields, even if its not even electronics.

An Associate's degree is worth its weight in gold when it comes to hiring time for ANY job if its between you and someone with no degree.

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

That sounds like an excuse to me, I worked full time, took care of my family, went to school part time and got my degree. It may have took me 12 years to get my degree, but I did it.

It was Really tough but I DID IT