Desperate help needed finding mp3 based HU

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by gba88, Oct 13, 2010.

1. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Hi Guys,

short version:
    I am looking for a head unit with an interface that is user-friendly while driving without having to use a remote to navigate multiple folders of mp3s. Looking to use DVD or SD based mp3 libraries. Under $200 and single DIN preferred.

long version:
    I come from using primarily pioneer cd based mp3 units. I'm tired of carrying around a bunch of cds so I want to go dvd or sd and only have 1 or 2 dvds/cards. The biggest problem I've seen is navigating folders and reading titles while driving. I have a zune and ipod touch, but do not want the hassle of carrying them around and keeping them charged for the car. Basically I want an interface that is as intuitive as a zune or ipod, but based in a HU.

I recently bought an SPL SID-3201 off of ebay that supports the media that I want to use (and was cheap - 120) but... O.....M.....G... what a HORRIBLE interface and navigation system! I haven't even put this POS in my car yet, and might not even get that far. The text for folders/filenames is LITERALLY 2mm tall!! You couldn't read the track titles unless you are inches from the stupid thing. I cannot say enough BAD things about this unit and I haven't even installed it yet..how bad is that. Oh and you cannot jump folders without using the remote. Horrible, horrible interface.

I've seen a couple vids of some alpine units that looked to have awesome mp3 based interfaces, but it seemed they were integrated only when an ipod was connected?

Please post any advice or suggestions! Thanks :D

2. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I recently bought a new HU and did quite a bit of research on the models I was considering. I was bouncing back and forth whether to go single din or double din for my Santa Fe. My final decision ended up being a Pioneer double din FHP 8000BT but my second choice was a single din unit. A Kenwood Excelon KDC x994. That Kenwood is very highly rated and there is a x794 that is a lil cheaper than the 994 since it doesn't have BT.

Here is a link demo for the x794 that can show you how nice the Interface is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UihIhrM3jMk

I'm pretty sure there are some members here on this forum that own that Kenwood and can shed some more info about it.

Check out the link.

3. ericj

ericj Full Member

I have the Kenwood X794 and it works great with any USB device. You can choose how you want to navigate through the music folders on your devices (USB thumb drive, SD card, or iPod) and the text displays have different size options, so seeing it isn't a problem. It also works great with the iPhone.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but your iPod will also charge with this HU, so you don't have to worry about keeping it charged. It has full iPod control, so your iPod/iPhone functions through the HU just like in your hand. It also allows you the option to manually control your iPod itself by hand.

I haven't tried DVD or MP3 CDs yet, so I can't give any info on how that works. I mainly stick to the iPhone & iPod. For the price, IMO, it really can't be beat.

I had a X491 before getting this one and it worked great, too, and has a front USB port.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  4. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

5. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Thanks a lot for the replies so far! Unfortunately there is no way I can fit a double din since it's a limitation of the vehicle :(

I'll take some time and look into the Kenwood and JVC mentioned. Changing the text size definitely sounds like something I'd appreciate since when it comes to stuff like this I'm obsessive! I knew some units would charge the ipod, but it's also a matter of having to keep it in the car or have it on me all the time. Just looking to keep it self contained. Thanks again, I'll prob. post after I check out those models.

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I have the Alpine iDA X303 in my truck. It has a pretty good size screen and it will handle Flash Drives as well as iPods. Its navigation is really good and user friendly.

The iDA X305 has a cooler display, but its also user friendly

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Cool... another choice.... I think I saw a video of this one somewhere online... no optical disc though. Does anyone know if the 305 displays mp3 artwork and info even when loading from the USB connection? The demo i saw had an ipod connected to it, but it would be great if the same data was retrieved/displayed from the usb drive.

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I know it dispays album art from the iPod, but I'm not sure about from the USB Flash Drive. I might need to search the net this weekend.

And seriously, I dont miss the CD player at all. I got my first iPod interface (back when I had my Kenwood HU) back in 2005 or 2006, don't remember which, and I have Not used the CD player since. I got the Alpine for Christmas 2008 and never looked back.

You can stuff a huge amount of music on an 8 gig iPod.

9. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Yeah, I hear that (not missing the cd drive). I have practically all the music I own on a 32GB ipod. I didn't realize there were this many options out there. Man, I wish I would have found this forum before throwing the $120 down the toilet. I could have put it against something that was really what i wanted :( Oh well!

10. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Maybe you didn't read my post well:

11. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Cool, that's good to know. I did read your post well, I was just throwing that out there again about the single DIN b/c I originally said "preferred" in my post, not "required".

I'm leaning towards the x994 or the jvc kd-r810. I like that the r810 supports up to 20k songs (from the manual) I couldn't see how large of a drive it supports though. Strangely, it says not to start the car with a usb drive plugged in. I'm thinking this is due to ESD or a jolt from the system possibly corrupting or erasing the drive.

12. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Ok, a question about the KDC x994: can you set it up so that the text is colored on a black background like the jvc? Some of the videos I see on youtube seem to show the screen background color changing and then the text looks white? The main stock image I see for it though shows a black background with blue text. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, on the JVC you press the up or down arrow to jump folders... I read in the 994 manual that you hit the "search mode" button on the right to skip folders. Is there any other way to go back and forth between folders, or would you just have to keep hitting that button until it cycled back through the list? Thanks for any info!

13. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Thanks for the info, this helps a lot! I definitely have it narrowed down to the x994 or the r810.

14. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Hmm... yeah, I thought somewhere I saw that the Alpine did alphabetical. As far as the album art, I spent about a month or so tagging my mp3 library and embedding the thumbnails directly in the mp3s. So, I'm assuming they'd display on the Alpine?

Concerning my decision, I'm leaning more towards the jvc at this point because I've been reading about a lot of "read error" issues with the x994 where usb and cds are concerned. If you search google, there are quite a few instances of this. I think I might take another look at the Alpine b/c I don't really care about an optical drive. I really wish I could check some of these out in an actual store, but I don't have many local options.

15. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes definately do your own research. The iDA X305 does do album art.

You can see basic info here
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s/

If you wanna look at the owner manual look here
    http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM iDA-X305S English.pdf

But remember, in the end it will be in your car, so do the research and pick what you like. Base your decision on accurate information. I know Apline and own an Alpine, the information posted by TE5LA is completely inaccurate.

I really does not matter to me if you choose Pioneer, Alpine, JVC or any other brand. All that matters to me is that your given good info so that you can make an informed decision.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  16. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Awesome, Thanks for the convenient links :) Yeah, I had it down to the kenwood and jvc, but then started reading about the read errors on the kenwood and it started to not look so good anymore. It wasn't just 1 or 2 guys either, I found several forums where there were threads about the issue. I honestly discounted the alpine to some extent after reading the post about folder organization, but I'm definitely looking into it again.

I'm pretty particular about what I want/don't want so not being able to get "hands on" with these makes it even tougher. I hope to decide this weekend though so that I can order and then have one to install next weekend.

17. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The iDA X100 is a 2008 model that is no longer available. On Alpines website the iDA X100M is available for watercraft.

Yes it will display album art, and it will play a USB device. And yes, I can also change the order that it dispalys information.

I will stand by what I say. I have owned Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood and Sony. I owned the Sony for 2-months, what a piece of Junk. I took it back and they replaced it with the Kenwood.

I base my information on real usage, not because I'm an Alpine dealer, I'M NOT, I'm a Math Teacher.

As far as I'm concerned your information is inaccurate and based on some personal gain or motivation. I cannot comment on JVC because none of the Car Audio dealers here carry it.

Also from personal experience, Alpine is an awesome company concerned with customer service
    http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=7045

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  18. gba88

gba88 Full Member

Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to post an update and what I ended up doing... I went with the jvc kd-a815. I couldn't be happier so far! This thing is great....exactly what I wanted in an mp3 head unit.

I went with this over the r810 b/c this one has a full black faceplate. I was down to the alpine and the jvc but in the end went with the jvc b/c you could jump up and down mp3 folders easier, and I really don't plan on having an ipod tied to it all the time. It seemed like a waste to get a unit that was totally built around the ipod if I was only going to be using a flash drive.

I thought the multi color display thing would be gimmicky, but man, it's awesome! It's a small aspect of the unit, but I appreciate it much more than I thought I would. I haven't tried the bluetooth yet, but could care less if it works good or not...all I cared about was multiple folder mp3 support on an external device, and easy navigation.

There is only 1 thing that I don't care for much: you need to go into the menu to get to the audio menu to adjust the fader. I'm sure it's more of a personal thing, but I mess with the fader quite a bit and would like a quicker route to it. No big deal though, if that turns out being the worst part of it I'll be really happy :) Thanks again for all of the input!

19. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Glad we could have been some help and thank you for the update, it is appreciated

20. gba88

gba88 Full Member

No problem! I always hate it when I stumble upon a thread like this, then the OP never does a follow up :)