Debadging (take A Look Geo)

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by Civic96, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Boy oh Boy do I hate debadging cars. It looks like an easy job but that adhesive shit is almost as bad as crazy glue. Nonetheless, with a heat gun, floss, Goo Gone, Soap and water I was able to finish the job. It took a little longer than my other civic but the results are much better. Although the Goo Gone doesnt work miracles, it did help out a lot towards the end. You cant even tell the tags were there in the first place, and my car is white.

I still have to take off the anti-scratch rubber on my doors and fenders. I fear that it may take me the whole day, judging on how much adhesive needs to come off. After that Ill install the Short Ram and give the car a wash.

Geo, how do you like the performance of your Supercharger?
    How much did it cost? What mods do you have on your civic?

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get the red/clear taillights from the 99-00 Ex/Si

B)

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Before you remove those door-rub strips - I'd advise not doing that! :huh:

The door actually has an indent in it, so removing it won't get rid of a body liine...
    It'll just make the car look like the cheaper model that doesn't include the door strips, IMO.
    Not to mention, there may be holes.

I had them painted, on my car (along with the lower rocker of the car, which comes black, stock, also).
    It didn't cost much to have done - and believe it or not, people keep coming up to me and asking where I got the body kit... "I like it.. it's not so boy-racer like all those other ones" :lol: ...body kit...heh

It looks very good painted. ;)

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The supercharger costs $2800 brand new, and it's a very good complete kit.

I bought mine off of someone that I found that wrecked their Civic...
    For $1400 I got the supercharger, and a huge number of other parts from their car that was being scrapped...
    Stainless brake lines, rear disk conversion kit (I opted for no ABS, and hence no rear disks), slotted rotors all around, the whole gauge cluster with indiglo gauges installed (I don't use them, I sold them), and a bunch of little things he threw in.
    It was a good deal, since I was considering the GReddy turbo kit that is also good (a friend of mine had one), it's only like $1900, complete, gives about the same HP.
    I've got a Neuspeed header, and a modified (for the supercharger) RS Akimoto intake, and an RS*R exhaust. The RS*R is great, because it's quiet. Deep in tone, but only about as loud as stock. 2.5" piping I believe, and the entire center section is a resonator, sort of looks like a gigantic cherry-bomb, but it's all polished stainless.

I started with my suspension though...
    I'd definitely recommend what I have, although it sure wasn't the cheapest way out...
    The springs weren't terribly expensive - Neuspeed Sport springs, only lower the car about 1.5" on their own.
    I bought Koni/Neuspeed adjustable struts, they were a little more expensive.
    But, they have spring perches that are adjustable in 1/2" increments (I have mine lowered about another inch), and adjustable compression via a little knob.

I really opted for these to help balance my car, with the weight of a stereo in the back.
    I've got my front spring perches set down 1" I believe, and the rear actually at a stock level, and the car balances out perfect. :cool:

I don't know about your car, but the Suspension Techniques anti-sway bar kit for my car includes a rear bar where there was none stock, and uses a unique 3-position end link to retain the stock front bar, and augment it with a second front bar. The stock rear sway bar on my car goes towards the cab of the car, with the new ultra-low-hanging (well, the fact that my car is about 2.5" lowered doesn't help :p) anti sway bar installed facing forward.

The handling mods do make the car outhandle most everything...
    But honestly, they make most driving less eventful. The car feels calm and like *yawn* even doing 80mph+.
    However, exiting ramps at nearly the speed limit is truly a joy...
    Particularly when you get "that guy" behind you that is convinced that everyone on the road he must pass or tailgate... watching them suffer behind you as you zip off the ramp is entertaining. :lol:

...even still, tires ARE the most important thing, and if you do modify the suspension, you'll truly appreciate the extra feel, the extra connection that low profile tires give you. :cool:

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

all i have to say is

[​IMG]

ROFL

back to your imports now :p

5. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Geo, These are not stock rubber thingy magingies!
    I have only seen a few hondas that have these. It looks like weather stripping. The car actually looks much better without them. I think we are talking about 2 different things.

Geo, what does your car run? DO you have numbers?

6. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Geo, any recommendations on other suspension setups for the civic??
    I've been thinking of getting Tein SS coilovers.... A friend recommended
    Endless/Zeals...

Which tires are good?

7. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Ugh... me no likey those taillights...

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I only ever went to a drag strip when I first bought the car...
    It was bone stock, save for the springs, coils, and a set of 16" Boyds rims at the time... and a heavy stereo in the trunk.
    It wasn't terrible though, I could do a 15.9, which was pretty on-par with stock for my car.
    I had a lot of fun... I was racing a friend of mine in this stock old 70's Oldsmobile Cutlass that had a 455 cu.in. big block in it, and he'd consistently beat me by about 1/10th of a second...
    I'd get him off the line pretty good, and then suddenly he'd be in my window, and then just slightly in front of me by the end. :cool:

+ on the tires
    - on the stereo weight
    that's my guess. :lol:

The stock Civic with a supercharger is in the mid 14's, low 14's if you do some other tweaking.
    But those aren't my numbers, those are JR's numbers.

I'd expect the GReddy turbo kit to be very similar...
    They both have about the same boost level, both supposed to yield around the same HP.

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

man I can WALK faster than that ;) :p

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

man I can WALK faster than that ;) :p [/b][/quote]
    You have no right to speak considering you drive a truck that is probably slower than a civic dx :lol:

Stop being an idiot Mike. American Civics arent meant to be sports cars in stock form. If you want a fast civic, you go to Japan and buy a Type R with 200 hp or just import the engine.

You are such a partisan about everything :lol: