Cutlass

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by jonnyv713, Aug 16, 2008.

1. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

I tried to find the length of a port that was 13.5" x 6" at 17 hz and it came out to be 114 inches long so I dont know how i would tune my box that low. it will end up being about 9 to 10 cubic feet. do you think the mack 5 would hit low to mid 140's off my nine.1 in the backseat?

And, so I have to much power for the 187's?

2. jonnyv713

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

4. jonnyv713

lol. Ok, I think Jon will be looking at getting a couple 187's then.

I also read about a guy powering a pair with a Sundown 1k, and we all know that amp is very underrated.

5. pedro quiroga

good luck to you.

6. jonnyv713

thanks... I will start with the gain real low and see how it goes from there. what size should i use for 2 15's? never had any before...after port displacement i can have up to 9 cubic ft.

7. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

depends on the 15..i looked on IA's site and they didnt have any recommended enclosure specs for the 187, but i have my lvl 4 in 3.95 cu ft box, so i guess its about 4 cu ft. it works great and pounds. so im sure 9 cu ft from your trunk should be fine. im not too sure about the 187s tho, i would go bigger :)

8. jonnyv713

What do you recommend Kvo? DC is too expensive too! lol

9. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

hmm you should try 3.5 cu ft each tuned low, like 32 :)

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Not if you have it tuned to 17 Hz. Get real, you would be lucky to do middle 130's.

11. jonnyv713

I would never tune that low. I aint like that guy Kryptonitewhite or whoever he is... I would tune prolly around high 20's to low 30's. I dont know if that sub is what I am looking for though. Its pretty much ruled out.

How would it perform if it was tuned to like 32 or 33 though?

12. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Seriously, if you want loud, build the box big and tune it higher. If you don't believe me, download WinISD, load any woofer in the program and use a box size between 2 and 3 cu ft. Now change the port tuning. As the port tuning goes higher so does the relative gain (it gets louder). As tuning goes lower, relative gain decreases.

Most boxes I built for customers was tuned between 40 and 45 Hz, and not one ever complained.

While your at it, use WinISD to see what happens when you change box size. Set port tuning to 35 HZ and change only the size, watch the graph. Let me know what you see.

13. jonnyv713

I cant download it because its a school computer and it wont allow me.

I believe you Ranger. But wont the powerhandling go down as the box gets bigger?

14. pedro quiroga

15. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

You are of course correct, but only if you get too big. Most 15-inch woofers should work well in a 3 to 3-1/2 cu ft. The Cutlass I did had a huge box (I don't remember the exact size) around 8 to 9 cu ft. I always kept my tuning for the 15 around 38 to 42Hz. In other words, I tune to 40.

16. jonnyv713

Well I am able to get about 9.25 cubes after port displacement at 38ish Hz. I think that may be a bit too big, especially when i am feeding the 187s double their RMS even though i have heard they could handle it in multiple occasions.

17. jonnyv713

Well guys, good news! I get my lisence back finally on Wednesday for sure!
    This means that I have alot of work to do tomorrow. I found some 2AWG wire in my garage so I'm gonna do a BIG "big 3" to hopefully help with my voltage drop and redo all my wiring to my amps and speakers. I will take a bunch of pictures and I will be making my own ring terminals! So, I will have a tutorial for everyone.

The fun will begin at 5:00 PM Central time haha

18. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Man your lucky.. I still have 25 days til' I get my license back.. lol,
    but looking forward to some pics ha

19. jonnyv713

I got some pics for you guys. Nothing too exciting but something to look at.

GUTS!
    [​IMG]

And, I got some supplies and I started using them on my new 1/0 Big 3.
    [​IMG]

20. jonnyv713

Have any of you seen these anywehere for sale used or cheaper? I think they would be a good set of comps. The price is a bit out of my range but dang! 3" coils and 25mm SILK tweeter. I have put alot of time into listening to my JBLs and I have came to the conclusion that I dont like my titanium tweets. They are far too bright for me. I think I need to switch to a silk tweeter, and these look good.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6030/CVL6K--Cadence-65"-2Way-Component-Speakers.htm