Converting Power

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by jonnyv713, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

i found an adapter thing and it says output=18.75V 3.15A

2. jonnyv713

i just wanted to try it tonight and i have the adapter right in front of me. so will that work?

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

That's too much voltage, it has to be 12 volts, the amperage is descent though lol.

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

you would probably need a multimeter too, so you know which wire is positive and which is negative, otherwise you will be frying stuff.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

you would fry stuff with 18 volts.

funny thing is that those adapters aren't that accurate for the target output voltage.

I have some 12 volt adapters that put out 15 volts.

6. jonnyv713

well i can just try to hook stuff up with my fried amp and find out which one is positive and which is negative cause it is already fried but when it is hooked up right it goes into protect but how do i hook it up?

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

find out which one is power and ground with a voltmeter

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hey jonny lol, what exactly do you want to do with this amp, it's blown and you don't have a voltmeter or multimeter to test the circuits anyways?

9. jonnyv713

i dont wanna do anything with it i was just gonna use it to test which was + and which was -

10. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

use the amp to test which is positive or negative? lol and if your wrong? Well i guess the amp is toasted anyways. But that 18volt adapter is too much anyways you need another one, or a power supply.

11. jonnyv713

please explain! lol what do u mean by a power supply? can u give me a link?

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

13. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

I use the old computer power supplies AT style not ATX, you won't get an ATX power supply to turn on because the motherboard turns it on. The old style AT power supplies have a switch that goes to the front of the computer case so it is nice to be able to turn it on and off. The proper one if you want to pump a little would be azns link i think i saw a 25 amp there but these work too for testing stuff.

YouTube - JENSEN CAR STEREO TESTING

14. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

got any burn marks on the board or transistors? lol

Attached Files:

16. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Didn't help me much, i failed at the repair.

Attached Files:

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

do you not have an electronics repair shop near you???

18. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Who me? I'm sure there is lot's but just not sure if it's worth it. I do still have two of them Bazooka RSA150.2HC

19. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

if you don't think its worth it than send those amps my way if you don't mind LOL