Components-front or rear?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by wild-bill, Apr 19, 2008.

1. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

I've never had a set of components before. Would it be better to put them in the front or rear? And where is the best place to mount the tweeters?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

front. to save a little coaxial's in the rear. or comps all around. it up to you and your budget.

ive read that the tweet should be as close to the mid,but i have my tweet in the sail panel about 18 or so in away. sounds fine to me.

you can get some double sided tape and experiment with different locations.

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

components in the front and you can just put coax in the rear or like pedro said you can do components all around.

My tweets are on the dash but i would really like to put them on the sail panels like pedro has. My problem is that i forgot to get the box (left it at the shop) that had the flush mount for my tweets.

4. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Well, I wanted the Polk Audio components for the front, but did not want to spend that much right now. So I ordered some Kenwood 6X8 coaxials. With the $$$ I saved, it just about paid for the JVC head unit with HD tuner-can't wait to get it in the dash. For experimentation, I found some cheap tweets on ebay. Mounted them on the rear deck angled toward the front. They sound good, but are too loud. So I wired them in series to 2 8 ohm 20 watt resistors in series on each one-that did the trick quieting them down some. I'm surprised how good they sound for no name ebay stuff! They really give the rear factory speakers that good "aftermarket" sound ha ha. Maybe later I'll get the components for the front and move the Kenwoods to the rear.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

be cool to hear how they sound. post some videos if you can...

6. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Don't have that capability now. But here's some pics.

I should have painted them black before the install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were too loud at first. 16 ohms of resistance on each one made them just right. After making the first one, I learned that wrapping them with tape eliminates the need for a second and third coat of goop to insulate them.

[​IMG]

Mounted.

[​IMG]

7. pedro quiroga

so what does that equate to in db's. -3,-6,-9? or do you know.

i want to attenuate my rears cause i'm running them along with the front doors . i use my other channels hi pass crossover to keep my dash speakers from blowing.

i have 4ch's running 6 speakers,and the 6x9's can be a little more quiet.

8. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Don't know. A wild guess would be around 6dB, I'd say. If you use resistors on full range speakers, you may need some that are rated for more than 20 watts. I could be wrong, but that's my take on that.

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ummm lol did i miss something along the way of my audio journey?///
    Adding resistors? How do you figure lol. Are they hooked to a crossover too or straight power from the deck.

10. pedro quiroga

ok thanks. and yes they will have to handle over 100 watts.

11. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Electrotlytic, they're supposed to have built in crossovers, but I put 8400Hz bass blockers on them anyway.

12. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

oh ok, but wouldn't adding resistors change the ohm load that the amp sees or it's not enough to be a problem?

13. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Since they're wired in parallel with the rear speakers, the amp probably doesn't see much difference.

14. pedro quiroga

its suppose to change the load to give them less power. = less out put if they are too loud.

ive been looking and cant find a place that sells them already made.

guess i'll break out the hifonic's vulcan for the rears (50x2)and run my fronts off the nine.5.

15. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Yes it's better to have seperate amps. People told me to run all 4 off the Alpine so I wouldn't need a 3rd amp. I didn't want to because you have no control over front/rear balance.

16. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol ok, not trying to give him a hard time just want to understand, never saw it done before like that. Ok But haha, they are wired parallel with his rear speakers so wouldn't that lower the amps total output to both the rear speakers and the tweets at the same time?

17. pedro quiroga

yes and no.

the amp will put out more power with the 2 speakers wired to each ch,but if he has 2 4 ohm speaker and the tweet with the resistor shows the amp an 8 ohm load(thus less power). the 4 ohm speaker will get more of the amps power.

like my doors and rear speakers.instead of wireing them in parrallel. i have the rears wired in series @ 8 ohms mono. im running ch 3 and 4 in a stereo /mono set up.
    the rears have to share the 8 ohm power(less out put) and the doors get the full 4 ohm power.

so if i figured it right it will be 100 each to the front doors and 55 to the rears.each

but in my case i need less power to them. crap then my hifonics will putout the same power as they are getting now.

18. pedro quiroga

shoot! i'll have to get a good passive for the dash speakers so i can run them in parallel with the doors and run the rears with the gain set really low.

175x2 up front

100x2 rear

450 x1 sub

what i really need is an 8 or 7 ch amp.

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok i'm satisfied lol. Good luck with that! Change your rears to match the fronts power rating maybe would be better.