Car locked in park

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by 92civicproblems, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

I pulled the Camry into the garage about 5 days ago and when I went in to take it out I quickly realized I couldn't start it or even put it into any gear besides park. It is locked in park and the battery is dead. Even if the battery is dead shouldn't you be able to put it into neutral? Anybody have any advice?

Thanks

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

pressing the brake pedal should release the gear lever.

3. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

That's what I thought. But it didn't. I guess the battery was so low it didn't have enough power to switch gears? I have no idea. I figured out it was a dead battery. I hit the override button to put it in neutral and backed it out of the garage. After I charged it up and everything is fine... for now... I just don't know why it went dead. Nothing was left on when I checked everything. Oh well. Hopefully it's fine. Thnx.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The car will not shift out of park without power, regardless of whether the brake is pressed or not.

Many cars (but not all) have an emergency release next to the shifter. Is there a small removable cover next to the shifter or a slot that the key will fit into. If there is a cover, remove it and there will be a small slot that the key will fit into. insert the key and then you can shift into gear.

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Ranger is right.. Had a blown fuse in my brother's mazda 3 and there was a small cover near the gearr shift and i took it out and put a screw driver in the slot and it released it.

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hmmm. i was working on my truck at a friends house and had to disconnect the batt. well someone needed to leave earier than expected and with my alt off i couldnt start my truck.

so i just turned the key and shifted into nutral and pushed it back the few feet it needed to move.

7. tepa13kreeper

tepa13kreeper Full Member

that happend to my camry and it was a blown fuse mine is a 94 and it was the 3rd fuse in the first row

8. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

Ranger is right on this one... we used that a lot when peoples cars died and they were stuck. We also drug the thing when we had owner consent but that is neither here nor there.

9. martyna

martyna New Member

May be its the naughtyness of some one...........

10. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

did you try this? put the key to the on position and then press the break and put it into gear?

11. viperfella

viperfella Full Member

my boss had a gmc jimmy and it did the same exact thing he called a chevy tech out there and he said it will do that as an anti theft device. his battery was also dead so it makes sense if its locked it park you can move it and with the battery dead its really not going anywhere