Can A Knob Affect Sonics?

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by sandt38, Jun 8, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

This one can!!! Look at the price on the dang thing!

Holy crap man. I have seen and heard some utter horseshit in my life, but this is the be all end all. I even have a link to a $6,000/meter set of RCA cables that improved the imaging depth so much, this guy's wife heard it upstairs... and she's not an audiophile!!! :rolleyes: Lemme know if you want the link for that, I'll add it. But this knob is something else :p

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I had to add the cable link... for your amusement.

WTF is this dude thinking?

What's the old saying? "Put that in your pipe and smoke it." Holy crap fellas, I'd like to put what this friggin guy is smokin in my pipe

:blowup:

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Dude, that knob does make a difference. "Dieter Ennemoser" says so. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

I'm still waiting for someone to buy my Audiophile Polymonosophonicate hangers. They are precision designed to hang from the roof of you car and hold your speaker wires, RCA's, and Power wire (you don't want to induce noise into your power wire after all) suspended away from any metal. They are specifically designed so vibrations running down them are in phase with the signal running through the wires. This gives you added amplification when you are driving on a bumpy road. Price is $5000 a piece. I figure, all I need is one sucker and I'm set.

Or you can buy my precision designed for audiophiles beanie with a propeller on top. What that does is widen's the "sweet spot". Basically when you are sitting outside the sweet spot, the propeller turns and pulls the missing sonic cues from the sweet spot and adds it to what you are hearing. This will give you perfect imaging even when sitting behind the speakers.

But seriously, Dan told me today that he has a speaker that works on pixie dust. He will be showing it at CES, so keep watching.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

4. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

I think people who buy those can be called "knobs"

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

[Dr. Evil Voice]Come on now... Honestly, people...[/Dr. Evil Voice]

It's a freaking knob.
    It looks like it might even be pretty darn massive.

It's one thing to argue that a massive knob might "damp" the entire potentiometer... therefore causing some sonic differences.
    ...but the counterarguement would be, with all that weight hanging on the end of the potentiometer (which isn't designed to suppport much mass)... what SQ improvements come from having your potentiometer wear out faster? :p

But, a real audiophile, who would be so concerned about the potentiometer in the first place wouldn't be using potentiometers anyways... they'd buy into the magic of the stepped attenuator, which can be bought much less expensively than $500 worth of magic wood. :blink:

Personally, truthfully, I'm not in the least bit ashamed to say, I've got a LOT of things in home system to address before I feel that the "biggest areas of potential improvement" are knobs and cables... :rolleyes:

6. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Any body ever seen the awesome jars of rocks you can buy? You apparently place them on top of your speakers and the bass and clarity increases alot. :lmfao: :rolleyes: :huh: There was a big thread on hometheaterforum a few months back. Everybody got quite the laugh from it.

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I wish you had a link... I would love to compile a list of the most assinine upgreades ever.

I wish I could find them, I have seen some power cords (like those used on plate amps and high end gear, exactly the same as used on your computer) that run over $1500 a meter that supposedly allow greater transfer of power and they clain image depth virtually expoldes in the room...

8. texcon

texcon Full Member

Is this English? This is the biggest load of crap I have ever read!

Inserting one lone 1m pair between my Zanden DAC and Orthospectrum buffer, the Indra differences were neither subtle, tonal balance-oriented or merely different-but-so-bloody-what. In one fell swoop, the Indra changed the entire gestalt of the presentation in such a way as to be patently audible even to my wife in the upstairs area. Forget bass, midrange, treble. The instant change was two-fold. For one, three-dimensional space exploded, particularly in the depth domain. With the Gallo Reference III space meisters sans pareil, this was so obvious as to be silly: Huge space, cubits of air. Far more importantly though, insertion of the cable also removed electronic tension and effort. When you make a fist and press hard, the musculature constricts. Though your hand doesn't look edgier, it feels that way even to an onlooker. I'm using the word 'edgy' not in the tonal domain of treble forwardness. I'm not using it in the domain of image outlines either. I'm using it to describe a very tangible feel in which the music now propagated unfettered, through the air and into the listening room. It no longer felt as though being pressed through electronic piping in little bits and pieces of data

You could say that the Indra caused a kind of profound whole-body relaxation of the music. Music now appeared to be free of effort, free of former reminders of electronic artifacts. It floated in expanded space as pure sounds rather than being mechanically processed and thus left with a certain tension, grit or texture as part of that processing. Let's be clear that I'm not talking about dynamics or timbre or any of the other usual audiophile suspects except for spaciousness. I'm talking about the absence of a specific artificiality that was crystal-clear and not at all minor once removed.