Bump On A Budget

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DatDude08, Mar 30, 2009.

1. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Don't have enough room for two and I don't really want to take up my back seat. Would just one of those be good in a ported box?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

yes it would.

3. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok would this amp fit the bill nicely?

4. pedro quiroga

that'll work but isnt that a lil pricey?

5. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

uhh, suggestion?

6. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

7. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok I think I have my system in order now.

What I'm getting
    Sub: eD 11Ov.2 (93.50 shipped)
    Amp: Alpine MRP-M500 (169 shipped)
    Wiring: Knukonceptz Complete 8 Guage Kit (29.99 shipped)

So, that comes in under $300 and I can upgrade components later. Sound good? I also believe I have enough wood to go on and build a ported box, just got to work out the design.

8. pedro quiroga

8 gauge will work for now but its a good rule of thumb to get the largest wire you can so you wont have to upgrade later.

9. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ordered the sub yesterday and I was planning on ordering the rest of the stuff this week, but I got a ticket to pay for now so I don't know when I'll get the chance. Any idea how much a "racing on the highway" ticket is (even though its BS)?

10. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok so I got the sub earlier this week and my friend is loaning me a MTX Thunder 4202 amp to use temporarily. How should I wire the sub to the amp it says 100WRms x 2 into 2 ohms, 200WRms bridged into 4 ohms and I have heard they are pretty underrated so how should I wire it? 8ohms bridged or some other way?

11. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

No suggestions on wiring?

12. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

8 ohms bridged is really the only way you can do it on a 2ch amp. That's what sucks about ed's D4 sales. I ran mine on a 2ch at 2ohms, which was not good at all, and it blew up the amp. So yes the only way you can do it is 8ohms bridged

13. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Its only temporary until I get my amp, but I guess it'll do for now.

14. pedro quiroga

8 ohms bridged and 4 ohm stereo would have the same power output.

15. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

We got everything hooked up and it sounds good even though its vastly underpowered, but the sub is flexxing and beats pretty good. I just ordered that alpine amp so hopefully it gets here before i go on vacation.

I have to get some better stuff for rear fill. Those audiopipes are just not cutting it and the terminals keep coming off. I was thinking maybe just convert them to 6.5's and usung the e3.65i comp system from eD or maybe some kicker stuff.

16. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok lets see what you guys can do with this. Time to upgrade front stage looking for 6.5s and a new pair of 6x8s. Would like to keep them same brand. Also need amp to power them and wiring for under 200.

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

for your rearfill i would just suggest some good coax speakers. you don't need to put a comp set in the rear...

you want to keep the front and rears the same brand? haha, you're anal like me... what's your budget for the comps for the front and possibly coax in the rear?

18. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

The 6x8s are for the rear and coax's
    Whats the difference between coax and comp for the front?
    Under 200 would be great, but 250 max I suppose.

I've already got 100 toward sound deadening and those kick panels plus I might have to upgrade battery and alternator with this stuff. Right now my electrical is fine, but its anybody's guess after this is added.

19. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

go with comps for the front for sure... i thought you wanted to put comps in the rear as well, that's not needed...

take a look at polk. they're within your budget and they sound really good.

20. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

whats the difference? comps just have tweeters and the crossover thing dont they?

also where are you finiding the polk stuff for my budget. what ive seen is $70 for coax and $130 for comps which eats right through the 200 and doesn't leave enough for an amp.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009