Bucking Magnets....

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Poseur, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Okay, so I've got 4 4" vifas about to go into my car, and form jsut my initial messing around, It's become quite apparant to me that being able to lose the bucking magnets would VERYmuch improve my mounting.. as it is, they're a fairly deep speaker. and the extra 3/8" of bucking magnet is not very welcome...

My question then is A, will it adversely effect my performance to remove these, and B, How would I go about doingit? I've tried a quick screwdriver/hammer pop, but it's glued on pretty solid. Or, maybe I should just giveup and accept the extra depth?

These are the speakers I'm talking about.

Pics here: http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/attachment...achmentid=27767

apparantly they're discontinued now.. but this used to be a link to them: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=299-431

2. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

my understanding is the bucking magnets are only there for video shielding purposes, and won't hurt anything if removed.

problem is, "whacking" the speaker to remove it may cause adverse effects to the magnet you wish to keep.

hopefully someone can suggest a better method... but if they used epoxy, you'll probably need to throw the speaker in the freezer to get the joint very cold, then crack it by prying or with a strong tap on a screwdriver.

in my opinion, if they were'nt very expensive, it's worth trying on one, and then comparing the two for any noticeable differences. there should be none, but being able to replace a driver should you demagnetize it, would be the thing.

3. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Yea, I too am of the general idea that it's a videoshielding kind of deal. Butyes, remocing the thing's the tricky part. those bastards are on there pretty good. Fornow I'm just going to play around and see if I can get them sounding alright without removing the things...

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

They are likely held in place by an epoxy, and in that case, near impossible to remove without damage :(

5. objext

objext Full Member

I really doubt they're on there for shielding. Usually a cap covers the entire magnet to redirect the magnetic field.

6. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

YEa, I kinda gave up on getting them off. ANd these speakers are sounding pretty damn sweet as-is, hate to go messing it up, not to mention they're a polymer frame of some sort that'd likely break pretty easily) Anyways, here's where they seem to like to be places to imagage decent in my car... http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/attachment...achmentid=28185 http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/attachment...achmentid=28186

Sofar I'm very impressed with this setup, I'm not sure if the dual driver bit plays any role in anyhting, but it does sound very nice. especially in female vocals and strings. (I suspect they'll fill out a good bit once the kicks get built and more sealedup) Imagine as they sit in those picstures is pretty good. of course I'll be playing with aiming for quite awhile before I go making anything permanaent, but I'd bevery pleased as-is.

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

They are. Sometimes there is a non-magnetic sheild that covers the entire motor assembly (similar to the AV8 I had posted up, I will find it in a bit and post it). But a bucking magnet does it a bit differantly, and it is used for magnetic sheilding in HT applications.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Looks good bud... B)

9. objext

objext Full Member

I stand corrected :lol:

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Is that a CDT SatNet Xover on the floor I see? B)

I just picked up two of those... I was incredibly intrigued by the elliptical Xover design that the SatNet's used... and unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play with them yet.
    But they'll see their way into some custom thingie or another I'm bound to do at some point. :p

11. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Yep, well the eDi's came with them. that and the cdt 25mm silk tweet (which is really damn nice BTW) DO you by anychance know what the crossover frequency is on them? I've been kinda curious.

Crossovers and tweeters are pretty nice, but those mids... *ugh* well we all know that story. I'm kind of glad in a way it inspired me to get silly and I'm really really liking the results...

I've just switched everythign in the setup over to 3-way mode and WOW... the detail and imaging from kicks is awesome, but it's just not possible to get the midbass oomph without a large, semi-sealed area (say a heavily deadened door) So when you combine the two it's just magical... It's all new to me so I'm mostly just busy being fascinated by how incredible this sounds. I've only had door speakers before. At the moment everything's jsut crossedover off of my deck, kicks are highpassed at 200hz, 6db/o and my doors are playing from ther edown yo 63hz with 18db/o highpass and 12 low. This is jsut sorta a preliminary setup, but I'm very pleased. I'm going to wait to get everything glassed into permanance before I get too out of hand with the digital trickery.

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I dont' believe what you say about the midbass is true...

I think that the two 4" drivers in the kicks - if they are capable of it - can generate just as much midbass as a 6.5" midbass in the doors, if you do seal those kickpanels off!

The 5.25" speakers I had in my line array project had kick-your-ass midbass - and that was hardly an ideal baffle situation, nor particularly stellar midwoofers.

Give it a try! B)

13. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Hopefully that is the case, I'd Love to be able to cutout the middle speaker and just run the 4's, I've got my aiming more cemented, so as long as they still sound good to me where they're at, I'll hopefully be glassing 'em in within the week. At which point you can bet that I'll see how they sound by themselves. I really do suspect, though that I'll need the volume that doors offer inorder to get proper midbass oomph. But we shall see. I just picked up a pair of Kicker RMB6's for nothing on ebay, so they're here for me if I need 'em.