Brahma this, Brahma that...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kbog, Jul 30, 2002.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Ahhh...

Listen, try to run your fingernail under all of the dustcap. The glue used on these high excursion drivers does have a tendancy to run and not correctly adhere to the cap. I have seen it before (in fact, a customer of mine has a replacement headed his way right now). I only read your first post and that was what came to my mind immediately. If you do notice it getting worse over time, I'd suggest that is the culprit, as the pressure on the dustcap will force it further apart.

Another thing that has come to mind is a small airleak in the enclosure. It is ported, and a common misconception is that ported enclosures don't need to be airtight. Due to the near doubleing of pressure in the enclosure (compared to sealed) they are more likely to be a problem. The leak may be causing a loss of cone controll and they do tend to sound like they are bottoming when this occurs.

Lemme know how you fare with these ideas in mind. Good luck...

Seth

2. QtRKoR

QtRKoR Full Member

Seth,
    I don't have long fingernail, so i can't do it :D
    However, i can fit in a piece of paper into three different areas. The gaps are around 2" in circumference. I have email Dan Wiggins on how to fix it. Is it better for me to send it back to Ampman (i paid it last year but i just got it after they broke up with Adire)? The problem is i live in the Far East and shipping is damn costly. The war is going on and i believe it will take a very very long time to get it fixed.
    How do you cut open the dustcap nicely? I feel like doing it so that the dustcap will be properly glued. Also i can clean the internals from any pieces of glue that may rattle inside.

cheers.

3. QtRKoR

QtRKoR Full Member

Is your customer sub a Brahma?
    The sub is out of the box for days now since the first time i came across that noise. So i can't tell if it has deteriorate.

cheers.

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Is your customer sub a Brahma?
    The sub is out of the box for days now since the first time i came across that noise. So i can't tell if it has deteriorate.

cheers.[/b][/quote]
    yeah, I thought that was it. I don't suggest you cut the cap off. I do suggest you contact your vendor for a replacement. I'm just glad we could figure it out so quickly, and the Brahmas should be back in stock today or tomorrow. Good luck!!

5. QtRKoR

QtRKoR Full Member

Seth,
    Is you customer Brahma problem same as mine? I bought mine from Ampman and with them "divorced", i'm not sure how's the warranty going to work out.

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Yes, he does own a Brahma. I suggest you contact Ampman first, regaurding the warranty and they will tell you the route to take. It is up to the dealer to handle the warranty claims, so I cannot say for sure how this is to be handled.