Brahma this, Brahma that...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kbog, Jul 30, 2002.

1. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

Not trying to be a dick here, but if you read my previous posts it explains everything.
    It made the noise from the get-go, even at low volumes.

2. bigsexxxy69

bigsexxxy69 Full Member

you think it would be loud enough to hear from the driver seat if being played in the back of an explorer? I seriously want to try a pair of b12's on my 2400d :D

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Prolly not. Even if it was as loud as mine was, you could correct it for under $10.

4. bigsexxxy69

bigsexxxy69 Full Member

I realize that its an easy fix but if Im gonna spend 700+ dollars I feel that I shouldnt have to jerry rig it to play at its full potential, thats a turn off to me, I would really love to see a revision from Dan to solve this problem and I wouldnt hesitate to give the brahma a try.

5. FaintReality

FaintReality Full Member

sandt38: So did your little fix completely stop the lead slap noise? Also, since you fixed it yourself, did it affect your warranty?

Dave

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It is quieter now than the day I installed it.

I doubt it. The initial fix, when the problem was found, was sent to me direct from Dan, Via E-mail. I followed his directions. Also, the fix will in no way affect the driver. The thought of creating any kind if mechanical or electrical failures with (2) 1 inch by 1/2 inch strips of felt is just not realistic.

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Bigsexxxy... what he said!

:D

8. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Hi all,

I know some will discount this as "damage control", but the truth is we've had VERY few (like in the few percent) complaints about lead slap. It IS a rare occurance, and as Geolemon points out, really only happens (if it does happen) when you're pumping the sub really hard.

We are looking at options to try to eliminate this, however. At this point, though, we've found VERY few subs that we can get to tap. It's a result of using a tinsel lead-in wire (even W7s can exhibit tap). At some frequency at high excursions, you will get the lead to tap the cone or spider. No two ways about it.

Some have asked about woven tinsel leads. Yes, that is an option; however, the #1 failure mode for spiders is tearing along seams in the fabric (cross-corrugation lines of a different density of fabric). I know several LARGE (we're talking 4+ million woofers a year) build houses that will not use woven leads because of the issue of failure rate.

Additionally, the use of woven leads limits your choices in spider fabrics and thicknesses. It is VERY hard to get a softer spider with woven leads. And in fact, the more stiffness in the spider you can control with phenolic versus fabric, the more progressive you can make your spider. Thus there is a tradeoff in terms of linear Kms force you can get when going to fabrics compatible with woven leads.

As usual, there is ALWAYS a tradeoff, and IMHO woven leads at this time are too much of a tradeoff in terms of what they limit you to in spiders. Especially for a pretty rare occurance as lead tap (the fact that Ryno's Brahma was making noise even at low levels leads me to believe it's not lead slap, but some other issue). We are investigating alternatives, though, and when we come up with something, I will let people know.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Dan,

I'll trade oyu mine for another if you really want one with signifigant slap:D .

10. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

You got it. E-mail me off-line, and we'll get it set up. We really do believe in customer satisfaction.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

11. syntekz

syntekz Full Member

Now Dan, you can ahead and send me 2 Brahmas to replace mine now. ;) I've been out of subs for a couple weeks now, I miss it.

It's great to see you posting on all these web forums though. I'd much rather buy from a company where the owner/rep actually participates in the community and takes the time to reply to individual questions and problems.

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Dan,
    You got mail.
    The slap is gone now, I just meant if you want one that does slap to investigate the problem, you can have mine. If not, I'm perfectly happy with what I have got...
    I hope you didn't misunderstand...

13. PointSource

PointSource Guest

You are an unbelievable human being. That right there is the best example of taking care of your customers.

People in the audio community should look up to you.

And no, I'm not sucking up to Mr. Wiggins. I don't own an Adire Audio product. I am simply amazed at his behavior.

Take care.:)

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I have a solution!

That I haven't ever seen implemented... (man I wish I were a patent attorney..) ;)

Rather than feeding the leads in to the VC through the side of the sub, through or near the spider..

Why not run the lead to the VC right out the front of the sub, out the dustcap basically?
    Maybe put the connection terminals mounted on the gasket area... Maybe have a little grille or arm to hold the wire safely off the cone...

Would look cool too... sort of all "Madd Maxx" or something...

Or even better.. why not have a wire running out the pole piece vent? Maybe have a coil up above the pole piece, under the dust cap there to allow for flex...
    I am sure it could be done!

Voila! No more lead slap

15. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Syntekz,

Shoot me an e-mail and we can talk...;)

Geolemon,

Interesting ideas! Out the front would look different, but you could still have lead slap. You have to have slack in the lead for cone motion - that's the limiting factor.

Out the pole would also be a problem - the slack would have to be in the air chamber under the dustcap, inside the former. Not a lot of volume in there, which means again you can have slap issues.

We're working on a few different ideas, but nothing is really beating leads out the back right now. There's commutated voice coils, but that's patented by Tom Danley (a genius in the speaker world), and it would also mean replacing brushes every year or so...

So we're focusing on making tinsel leads work better, and what can be done with woven leads to remove the limitations of that approach.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Haha... he's one person who makes me wish I were a patent attorney (or had a good one)... You know I have been playing with servo subs...
    With his servo motor background, it makes so much sense that HE would have come up with THAT solution!:D
    Bob Carver is another one who makes me wish I were a step ahead in the patent game.. even if everyone hated me afterwards! :D
    Apparently, if it's not patented already, it's free reign!:rolleyes:
    I agree...
    How about this then...

Rather than weaving the leads through the constantly moving spider assembly (which I would still think is a reasonably good solution regardless)...

What if you ran the leads up the cone? Have them molded right in to the plastic or paper!
    Then you could jump across right under the surround - or OVER the surround and put terminals on the gasket again? Bridge the gap with a piece of slightly larger surround foam to support the leads so they don't slap?

I wonder if you could get cone makers to make cones that had leads running up them.. might complicate assembly..

I am just having fun with ideas.. :D

17. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

That's one of the things wer're looking at. The shorter the free tinsel lead, the higher the resonant frequency of motion. The key is finding a good tradeoff in terms of attachment and excursion capability.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

18. QtRKoR

QtRKoR Full Member

Ryno,
    Did you get your sub fixed? What is the problem? I'm having problem with mine B-15 too. Just wondering if they are the same problem.

cheers.

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Ryans was a strange case, where I do believe it may have been a defect. If you look further up in the thread you will see a fix I have found does work for the more common tinsel/spider collision. I know Jacob (sundownz) as well as a few others had this issue with his B15 and my little fix cured it. If you look at the tinsels it will be noticeable where they are colliding with the spider. I guess it also works well with the REs as someone on SIN attempted this as a cure for the same issue. I feel it is a limitation of the 4 spoke basket coupled with the large outside roll of the progressive spider.

look at the picture link I provided above for a view of the tinsels and the fix.

20. QtRKoR

QtRKoR Full Member