Box For Wrangler

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by DatDude08, Aug 17, 2009.

1. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Ok so I am now the "speaker guy" to my friends apparently. My friend wants a ported box to go in his Wrangler, his current setup is 2 kicker comp 12s but he his going to upgrade to 2 cvr 12s in the near future so I'm trying to build a box to accomodate those.

The dimensions are (LxWxH) 30.5"x16"x17", I can play with the height up to 19 and probably the depth to 18.

He wants slot ports so I need some help with that. I say tuned around 38Hz should be nice, but opinions are always welcome. Also, just go with 30.5x17x18 and I think it should give us enough volume. And for future reference, how do you figure out the ports and tuning (if it can be explained reasonably)?

2. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Would two 3" round ports 5 1/4" at work out to be tuned to 38hz? Thats what winISD says but I want to make sure

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i wish i knew...let me know when someone explains tuning to you..lol.

ive seen suv's with the port firing back into the tailgate and subs up. or subs up and port up at the back window. either one works.

4. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

if I were you, I wouldn't go with anything less than 2 4" roundports atleast

5. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

yeah i kinda figured that would be a difficult thing to explain lol. It'll all be firing forward.

6. pedro quiroga

in an suv i've always seen them fire into the tail gate or up the back window. in mine when i turned my box forward to move somethings i lost most of my bass.

so im not sure your gonna like firing the ports forward.

7. 94f150

94f150 Full Member

don't fire the ports forward. fire them at something, (back glass, or tail gate) it gives the sound something to resonate off of. I would really consider firing subs up, and ports towards the tailgate for the best bass.

8. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Its a rag top so theres nothing hard for it to resonate from, but I can do subs forward and ports up even though I've always heard the port should be on the same face as the sub.

And just to say, with my box in my back seat I have a forward firing port and it gets loud though I've never tried it any other way.

9. 94f150

94f150 Full Member

i had a ported box in a single cab pickup truck that i had built and i had the subs facing the seat and the ports firing straight up at the roof, and it was super loud, two 12s ported at 34 hz. so idk.

10. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Yeah I get the concept, but this box is going in the backseat of a rag top wrangler so I don't know if there would be that noticeable of a gain, plus we can flip it and test it so I'll let you know.

11. 94f150

94f150 Full Member

aite man, let me know what works out the best. Good luck!

12. pedro quiroga

oh crap! you did say a wrangler. ok right, maybe a sealed box can work better for you

13. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Hmm. I know he wants basically the loudest bass he can get, definitely a SPL type guy. He wants ported for that reason. He has a sealed box right now and it sounds good, but I think he wants to try something new. Any other options?

14. pedro quiroga

fire the port to the side maybe? i know in a convertible its hard to get any good low end output when the top is down.

15. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Its rare that he takes the top off. How would ports to the back of the seats work?

16. pedro quiroga

ive never had luck with the ports firing forward. unless its in a wall. so built it with the ports on the same side as the subs and turn it around till it sounds good.

17. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Thats what I was thinking we'd prolly have to do.

18. pedro quiroga

OH OK. keep us posted.

oh man i totally forgot about this....about 18 years ago i was at a local sound advice show and came across a red wrangler with its top down and it was demoing its system.

now back then all they had was a spot for 4x6 in the dash firing forward.... so it sounded real nice. all you could see was the head and the stock locations for the mids/highs, and no bass from where i was standing.

but the mid bass was awesome! so i asked if i could sit in it and then boom! im hearing and feeling the bass. i had to do a double take as i could not see an enclosure or even any amps.

so i had to ask. this jeep had 4'' comps in the stock location and dual 5.25 mid bass speakers in a fiberglass pod in the foot well. not in the kicks but just under the doors. firing across from each other. real nice indeed.

all the amps were in a false floor in the back. now this jeep had no back seats due to the false floor and amp placement. amps were all soundstream reference series. i wanna say 3 2CH amps one for each set of speakers.

now i had to ask about this bass that came from nowhere. the owner said..you see that square cloth in the tail gate just in front of the spare?

yeah so? well its a blow thru for the 3 tens in the tire. i was like say waaaaa. really? so he pulls off the tire cover and in it were 3 10's with a plexi face so you can see em ( fake fiberglass tire). i wanna say sound stream subs but not sure since its been so long.

if you saw this in a parking lot you would not know anything was there. it was frickin sweet.

just wanted to say his bass was very directional as you heard nothing standing beside it only in front of it. not even behind it so much either.

19. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I would load the subs and port to the floor

20. pedro quiroga

never thought of that. that would work too