? bout box size, porting, & values

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by abcgt, Dec 5, 2010.

1. abcgt

abcgt Member

Hi,
    I want to build a square ported box for an Alpine 1222D . It will go into a 2000 Impala. I'd like to keep it 13" high and 12" deep. I can go wide. Below is the speaker & amp specs. Also the box I want to build... Any sugestions or changes that I can make? I think the box below is @ 1.6 without the port. With the port it drops to 1.4.
    Ooh ya, I listen to R&B, Hip Hop/Rap

Thanks
    Alpine 1222D
    Gross internal volume. 1.7
    Net internal volume. 1.3
    Displacement. .071
    Mounting Depth. 7.7
    Tune. 36Hz

Hifonics Brutus BRZ 1700.1D
    600 x 1 @ 4 ohms

Box
    W 25x H 13x 12
    Port size. 1.5"
    Port lenght. 23.
    Box volume 1.4
    Tuned 35Hz
    (Does my box volume need to be more)

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Your box is too small, using your measurements, I'm getting 1.6 cu ft. Lets see if we can get closer to 2 cu ft.

Can we make a couple of minor adjustments? Lets increase the depth by 2-inches and the width by an inch. That will get us an outside measurement of 13-inches High, 14-inches Deep, and 26-inches Wide. This will give us an internal volume of 2 cu ft. (OK be picky, it 1.9965 cu ft)

Now for the port, lets use a 4-inch diameter port (standard PVC) with a length of around 11-inches.

I think your port size and length is a miss print, there is NO way that port will work

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. abcgt

abcgt Member

Thanks for your info. Those measurements you gave me are fine. As long as I am 13" high it works. As for the port, I want to try a Square Port. I think its called that. Is there any way I can still use those sizes and add a square port?

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

ya you can... Its the surface area of the port that is critical, not the shape. If I remember right, i think a 4 inch diameter port has an area 12.3 sq inches.....someone correct me if i am wrong!!!!!

5. abcgt

abcgt Member

I don't understand.. if I do a slot port how long will it need to be? I'm thinking it should be tuned to 35 or 36 Hz...

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK, then lets make a small adjustment. The port will need to be 11.5-inches tall and 1.5-inches wide. The port will also need to be 18-inches long. The turn is not included in the port length

Please follow the directions Here

7. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Well you have the right 2 guys helping you that's for sure.Ranger and Viking both know what they're doing.

8. abcgt

abcgt Member

Thanks a bunch.
    I knew my figures was off just didn't know which way to go.
    Thanks again.

9. abcgt

abcgt Member

If I change the size of the box but keep it @ 2 cu. Ft. Can I still use a slotted port of 1.5" x 18" long?

10. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as box volume stays the same as the original design, the same port design will work.

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The port is longer becuase the slot port takes up a little more room. Also that slot port has a little more cross sectional area than the round one. So everything will be fine. Those box measurements need to stay the same

12. abcgt

abcgt Member

I understand. Thanks :)