Big subwoofer box help!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by DeltaSoldier, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DeltaSoldier

DeltaSoldier Member

Ok, this is a big one... just bare with me... ok, i have a 1999 chevrolet silverado 1500 ext. cab. and i am wanting to put 2 alpine type-x's and a RE Audio SXX18D2 and i am having alot of trouble finding out how to build the box, how big to make it... and also, what do people mean when they say the tuned the box to like 35hz... i thought you could only tweak the amplifier, not the box... any clarification on that?? thanks HELP ME IF YOU CAN ALL INPUT IS HELPFUL!!:)

2. DeltaSoldier

DeltaSoldier Member

i also know the box HAS TO BE VENTED... ik that already... :)

3. deepbass

deepbass Full Member

well, google is your friend. theres many websites explaining these very simple answers. also goggling the subwoofers specifications will tell you the recommended box size, and then theres plently of info on how to build a box, how long and bit to make the port to effect tuning.

if you dont know even the basic answers ie: how to build a box, then get some one else to do it for you. having a small understanding at least with woodworking is needed. unles building an elaborate box. and not even knowing that you can tune a box via porting, means you need to look up these qestions on google, know were you want to start, knowing how much space you have and how to work out cuft, and then which by sounds you dont know, how to wire up and install the drivers and wiring for the amps, and then set the amp to the correct levels.

now i could spill the answers out for you just to read here,but i would have gone to google/youtube to find the very infomation/articles and videos you need to answer the qestions
    but using the search button here, and google and youtube will 100% answer every qestion you just asked

ie:
    alpine typex (model no) .... specs
    how to build a subwoofer box
    how to tune a subwoofer box

simples ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. DeltaSoldier

DeltaSoldier Member

but when i google that, it tells me how to make each individual box, but i want to make 1 big box with 3 seperate channels in it: 1 channel for a type x, one channel for the SX18 and another channel for the other type x and everything i google just gives me specs for a 1 sub box not the 3 sub box im looking for

5. deepbass

deepbass Full Member

channels??

i gather your running two 12" and 1 15" sub?

if you want there own chambers then it wouldnt matter if you made single boxes or one box.

a big box is just a small box with larger dementions and a wall divider between subs

6. DeltaSoldier

DeltaSoldier Member

its 2 12's and an 18 and i mean channels as in air channels because each sub slot has to be ported

7. deepbass

deepbass Full Member

google..........................

8. DeltaSoldier

DeltaSoldier Member

here ill spell it out: G O O G L E D O E S N T T E L L M E A N Y T H I N G T H A T I N E E D T O K N O W!

9. deepbass

deepbass Full Member

**** me ill spell it out to you

find the speakers specs. itll say whats the best size. then using a sub box calculator and messurements made from the area you have avalible. find your box size.

then go to you tube, put in, how to make a box, tuning a box is the port length but guess what google tells you all of this, dont belive me here we go. ill provide the god dam links for your lazy arse

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rf0EXPOBl4T/p_500SWX1242/Alpine-Type-X-SWX-1242D.html
    states
    sealed box volume: 0.65-1.25 cubic feet
    ported box volume: 1.0-2.0 cubic feet

so 0.8 sealed or 1.5 ported

and
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27322_RE-Audio-SX18D2.html

states
    Minimum Ported Box Volume 5.5 cubic feet
    Maximum Ported Box Volume 8.0 cubic feet

no option for sealed,

now go here

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

11x11x18 = 0.88 cuft or 14x14x19 all in inches and using 3/4" mdf (18mm) for your 12"s
    22x19.5x29 = 5.58cuft, if you were to use 8.cuft you would need to wall your car OR only use the 18" in to boot and install the 12" as passive subs. 18"

then go here

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...8l2156l0l2568l13l10l0l3l3l0l230l537l2.1.1l4l0

and **** me walla you have your awnsers, all from google like i told you

10. DeltaSoldier

DeltaSoldier Member

most sub box calculators arent worth a **** when i try to use them and yes, i do know how to read them and input the information, but thank you for spelling it out (its alot easier than beatin around the bush)

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

either way.. running two different sub sizes will only lead to cancellation issues. either run the 12's or the 18.

years ago when i first started competing i beat out this kid with 3 subs..one 12 and two 10'' on roughly 1000w in two diff sized enclosures.

i had one 10'' on 280w.

my highest score on the Audio Control was a 136.xx db.. his.... 133.xx.. cancelation was working on my side that day.

just my 2 cents