bass is cutting off

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by bgmike, Dec 8, 2009.

1. bgmike

bgmike Full Member

i have a kenwood amp, and an ma audio sub. its not working it will but like once in a while, and then i will stop working. i had a different sub before and it did the same thing, i just bought the ma audio sub. the amp is on, but sometimes one of the lights blink(a red one).....could my amp be bad? i have many things but no success

2. bgmike

bgmike Full Member

it was working fine up until two weeks ago

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

what is the exact model of your amp and sub? links would be good...

4. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

All you checked all of your wiring? do you have a good ground to bare metal?

5. bgmike

bgmike Full Member

6. kingsuv

kingsuv Full Member

I would double check all your connections and then look at what your voltage drop is at the amp. Too much of a draw will cause the amp to go into protect or shut off. You might have early signs of a weak battery.

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

no one noticed he has a dual 4 ohm sub on an amp thats only 4 ohm mono stable?

you may have the amp going into protect due to it being wired into a load it cant handle.

how is the sub wired?

8. bgmike

bgmike Full Member

its bridged....the previous sub(unknown brand) i just threw it on and it worked until this happened....and i just got this new sub and its doing the same thing..... how much voltage should the amp be drawing?

how should i have it wired? i noticed the sub has two positive and negatives, one pair on each side....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok if you hooked up both positives and negatives to their respective speaker terminal then your sub is showing the amp a 2 ohm load. too low for that amp to handle.

you'll need to use only one lead from each sub terminal. the other two you wire together.

so you'll end up with an 8 ohm load, and the amp will put out half of its rated 4 ohm power.

so you only use a pos from one coil and a neg from the other coil. the other pos and neg you wire a jumper to connect them to each other.

10. bgmike

bgmike Full Member

^ i tried that today and no luck......i havent check the battery voltage since i dont have the tool....also today its not even cutting off any more no more bass at all, the amp still turns on though