Amplifier Discussion

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by _gonz_, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Those are definatly some intresting points Geo. :eek:

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hehe....
    Swear at them, or swear on them? :oops:

:lmfao:

3. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

Gonz - I found the perfect amp for you! Click Here This thing is 800 WRMS at a great price! It even has *Gold Plated* connectors. I love how the amp itself says "Up to 800 watts"... I think this thing would :blowup: :D

4. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

800w RMS I.L.S. = If Lightning Strikes it.

i've seen them (Cuspid) and while i'm the curious type of person who would buy something like that just to open it up, look around inside, see how it would perform etc...

in this case you are rather stuck with it. if it was wal-mart or $20 at a flea market, might be another story altogether.

On another note, do you think Cuspid, or wal-mart brand VR3, varies that much in design and componentry from this Planet Audio amp?

http://arawndark.netfirms.com/PAP475/index.htm

does'nt really look like something to Swear upon to me??
    maybe they've taken a dive since his^ or gotten better since this amp pictured?

5. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Hey make that 4, depending on timeline and final price, I'll be needing something in the kw+ range to replace my tsunami, and likely capable of pushing a brahma

6. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Cool Poseur,
    I appreciate your participation :)

don't know where this is going, if anywhere, right now tho...
    i'm really looking at Kole Audio by Power Acoustik, for better or worse.
    Problem is, whether or not anyone else wants this?

are there any particular amps or price ranges you have in mind?

another thought i had was Cerwin Vega, but their selection is limited at usacaraudio.

If we have four guys buying amps from him at once, i'd be willing to try talking to him about some sort of deal, even if they're different amplifiers.

In fact, i'd be willing to shop around a good bit in order to find someone who would cut us all a break.

7. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

If you're looking in the kW range, look no farther than this amp.
    And it's related discussion on the Polk forum...

8. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Aside from class A/B amps... i'm looking at the

HiFonics Brutus BX1500D
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/HIFBX1500D

Steamhammer mentioned this one in his list. (he's on vacation for two weeks)

Typically these sell for around $250 and are pretty highly regarded. Considering we're all looking at subwoofer use, i don't think Class D will be horrible, and the positives are efficiency plus cost effectiveness. 1500w @ 1ohm or 500w @ 1ohm

I think this one could be a contender :boxing:
    Is there anyone here who has needs which this amp would'nt apply? Please speak up.

9. explicit6486

explicit6486 Full Member

I believe that Rockford's 1501bd has great bang for the buck.. I've had it for about a year and a half now..

It cost about $550 (including shipping - I bought it online)
    I'm pretty sure this is what it runs:
    750 watts at 4 Ohm RMS

And I'm positive it does:
    1500 watts at 2 Ohm RMS

Then again, I'm not really that aware of what other brands offer..
    Anyone got a different opinion of the RF 1501bd?

10. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

I have only one opinion of the RF 1501bd....

it blows everyone's budget right out the water :)

thanks for the input tho, maybe when i hit the lottery, i'll include it in the 300 amps i'll buy just to benchtest outta boredom. B)

on another unrelated note...
    damn them pics of your g/f dude, DAMN THEM!
    can't bring myself to close the friggin page!

11. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

I have a Planet Audio dealer that's on my way to work (here in SoCal, car audio places are as common as 7-11's). Not only is it the de facto recommendation when someone asks "I need an amp. I need it cheap. What should I get?", but it also has a 3 year warranty for those who install it themselves...and a 5 year warranty if the shop installs it. I've heard a few positive testimonials on PA amps in person and online. They are one of the few amp lines I'd have on my short list of budget amps to look at.

As geo mentioned, you don't necessarily "need" a super duper mega amp. Manipulating the enclosure size can save you some bucks. On my Brahma clone, my sub out was at -6 and my gain is well under the half way point for my typical daily driving listening...they don't need a buttload of power :)

12. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

LMFAO!! 6000 watt 6 channel. And on the specs it says 95 watts rms/channel. WTF.

13. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

"1. Class A is not strictly for tubes.
    2. 6000W... class a is about 10% efficient.... 60000W sucked up!!! Reminds me of Tru amps. They have something like a 500W Class A amp which has teflon on the outside. Makes a perfect frying pan if you ask me. Make an omelet while you're waiting to get judged at a competition."

Please tell me I didn't just read that.

14. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

my only real need isthat I'm trying to fit this under a seat,and will onl hav about 22" width-wise to play with. I've got decent room both other ways to play with for most standard amp designs. As far as price, etc, obviously less$ is better, but more than anythign else I'd just like to have something nice and stable. ClassD is actualyl prefeerred as Alternaters aren't an easy thing to et for my car (read noone has really gotten a higher output one to work right)

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Cadence Z9000? About $300, but simply amazing and efficient

16. SteamHammer

SteamHammer Full Member

Almost forgot about this thread. :p

I'm still hunting but I've learned a great deal since I first started. I now have both of my TC SOunds subs installed in a box built not to BassBoxPro specs but to what the Engineer at TC SOunds told me. Sealed, 1.0ft3 per sub (BBoxpro wanted .75ft3 per).
    So I havae my trusty USX600F running stereo now instead of bridged and it does 200x2 @4ohms. I was running it at 600x1 @4ohms. ALl I can say is HOLY CRAP. Two subs with less power is laying an ass woopin on one sub with more power. Just as loud with much more weight in the bottom end. These two subs sealed hit just as low as my old Dayton Audio DVC did in a ported box tuned to 27hz. Amazing. I wasn't sure when Stephen from TC SOunds told me to do 2 12s with less power vs a big ass 12 with tons of power but I'm a beleiver now. I am a happy camper for sure and these subs sound amazing.

So I'm looking for a smaller amp, something that does 400x2@4ohms or 800-900x1@2ohms. Don't need anything more than that. Here is what I've drummed up:

- MTX1501D. Might be too much power and quality is unknown. Most of the local shops dropped MTX.
    - MA Audio H2K-TP. Stereo Class T amp that does 450x2 @ 13.5v. I spent some time talking with Anabas engineer about this amp and it is very nice and has lots of features like a crossover you can turn OFF (what a novel concept, I have an external Xover that i want to use)
    Power Acoustics PA1800DB - Little bother of the PA2400DB.
    Kole 2400D - I spoke to Power Acoustiks tech support regarding thier class D amps. PA makes PA, Kole and SPL and all three have common models. THe differenc is in the # of tests and the tolerances done on the amps before shipping. Kole has the highrest standards and the most tests. So the Kole should be the most relable of the three brands. Longevity is an unknown. Could be too much power but I'm guessing it wont hit it's numbers given it's rated at 14.4.

Any other inputs?

17. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

My main opinion on "bang for your buck" is US Amps... they're not inexpensive but you're getting a great amp for the price.

for the guys looking to power 1 brahma i'd reccoment the US Amps USA-1000x

Two Channel Class AB Amplifier
    Total Power Output: 1000 Watts RMS
    THD at Rated Power: <0.006%
    Stereo Separation: >98dB
    Signal/Noise Ratio: 105dBA
    Frequency Response: 5Hz-50KHz
    Fuse Rating: 135 Amps
    Dimensions: (Including Terminals)

62mm / 2.44in High
    229mm / 9.0in Wide
    451mm / 17.75in Long

Weight: 4.76kg / 10.5lb
    Variable 24dB Low-Pass Active Crossover
    MSRP: $819 USD
    Two Ohm Stable
    300 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    400 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
    500 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
    1000 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
    Available in Black or Chrome

it's not terribly large, lots of power at a low distortion rating, bridge the vc's up to a 4ohm load and there's your 1000w continuous

MSRP is 819 but you can order them from speedsound.com (an authorized dealer with a legitimate storefront registered with the BBB) for 609.95 + shipping

for those running 2 brahma's i'd reccomend the US Amps USA-2000

Total Power Output: 2000 Watts RMS
    Fuse Rating: 300 Amps

62mm / 2.44in High
    229mm / 9.0in Wide
    654mm / 25.75in Long

Weight: 7.26kg / 16.00lb
    MSRP: $1,599 USD
    One Ohm Stable
    250 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    330 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
    500 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
    1000 Watts x 2 into 1 Ohms
    1000 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
    1328 Watts Bridged into 3 Ohms
    2000 Watts Bridged into 2 Ohms

MSRP is 1599 but it can be found at speedsound.com for 989.95

for a 600w amp for the pair of subs previously mentioned i'd go with the USA-600 or 600x (the difference between the x model and the regular model is the ohm load it hits peak power output at, USA-600 =600x1@2ohms ; USA-600X =600x1@4ohms) depending on your bridged ohm load...

USA-600 and USA-600X
    Total Power Output: 600 Watts RMS
    Fuse Rating: 75 Amps

62mm / 2.44in High
    229mm / 9.0in Wide
    368mm / 14.50in Long

Weight: 3.63kg / 8.00lb
    MSRP: $569 USD

USA-600 Only
    One Ohm Stable
    75 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    98 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
    150 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
    300 Watts x 2 into 1 Ohms
    300 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
    390 Watts Bridged into 3 Ohms
    600 Watts Bridged into 2 Ohms

USA-600X Only
    Two Ohm Stable
    150 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    195 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
    300 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
    600 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms

*MSRP is 569 but speedsound has it for 459

US Amps site is www.usamps.com if you want more info. as you can see by my sig i have one of their tube amps powering my mm6 component set and it sounds gorgeous :D

*edit

18. SteamHammer

SteamHammer Full Member

I know all about US amps. I used to run zapco. I 'm not willing to afford 600+ for a one amp regardless of how good it is. I'd consider a used USA-1000 if the price was right becuase it can bridge down to 1ohm but otherwise I'm looking at more midrange amps, not high end which is where US Amps is at, regardless of the value I get for that, it's still 600. I don't nor ever will have that kind of budget for an amp. My car aduio budget for the amp is fixed, and much lower. No saving money longer to increase the budget. Such is life when you have a house, kid, wife, etc. If I can spend 350.00 I'm doing good. But I appreciate the info none the less. :)

I've added the Cadence Z5000 to my pile of amps and took the MTX out. Too much power. Might add the Brutus 1500D as well. Not sure. The cadence does 750x1 @ 2ohms, is class A/B and I can get it for 300 shipped. BUt its a f00kin surfboard it's soo long. 19" is big for my Saturn's trunk :ranting: .

19. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

lol, i too know the pains of the saturn, mine's a 96 SC1 lol... not much to work with space wise but they're supposed to have good acoustics...

You might want to watch this link for the 1000x on ebay, it's the one that's 1000w @4ohms

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Here's a 2000x
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

they pop up from time to time on ebay and go for realy good prices sometimes, as most of the car audio world is entirely too mainstream.... not enough of us who want the best (or at least as close to best as we can get for under 10g for a system :blink: )

20. SteamHammer

SteamHammer Full Member

I Decided to go with the MA Audio H2K-TP. I can get it at dealer cost, it has all the features I want, is the size I need, does 450x2@4ohms 13.5v, the dealer offers layaway, and the dealer has had very good success with MA amps over the past 2 years so I'm sold on it. I should ahve it in time for Xmas :)