Amp Shutting Off

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by randy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ericj

ericj Full Member

Nah, it would be easy. Have another look at the pic. Each sub box would only have a positive & a negative wire running into it.

EDIT: Sorry, you're right. Your amp isn't 2ohm stable bridged. Oops. :p

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. randy

randy Full Member

well thats how i changed my sub tonight, except with just 1 sub.

DVC 1 I wired together with a shorty piece. DVC i ran to the amp in bridged mode, which should be 450x1 @ 4 ohms and the sub being wired for 4 ohm load. so basically if i do this wiring scheme on TWO subs it nets a 2ohm load? kind of confusing unless im NOT running a 4ohm load currently like i think. according to my sub book im running 4 ohms and according to my amp book it is only stable at 4 ohms bridged. im confused :S

ok read your edit, so what do YOU personally think i should do to run 2 of these subs?

3. ericj

ericj Full Member

If you got two 4ohm DVC subs (instead of 2ohm), you could run them at 4ohm bridged to your current amp.

Another option would be just to use one 2ohm DVC sub wired in series to net 4ohms and bridge your amp.

Other than those ideas, you could sell your current amp and get a new one.

I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm mis-stating something. I don't think your amp can handle two 2ohm DVC subs since it isn't 2ohm stable when bridged.

4. randy

randy Full Member

guess so, looking for a new amp as we speak. but there lies another problem...lol a 1000x1 @ 1 ohm amp prolly wont run on 8ga power/ground

5. ericj

ericj Full Member

Yeah, you should probably upgrade your wire to at least 4awg.

It'd also be a good idea to do the "Big 3". There are some threads on here about it if you're not sure what you'd need to do.

6. randy

randy Full Member

What you think about running this amp? BAMF2000/1D PowerAcoustik Mono block amp. ive had their gothic series amps before and had really good luck. just thinking for 140 bucks + new power/ground wires i would be set for a while running them at 1 ohm. resell my zx450.2 for 150-170.

7. ericj

ericj Full Member

Sure, that amp is 2ohm stable, so it'd be a decent choice for two 2ohm DVC subs. I have a Power Acoustic amp that's now in my closet that I ran for awhile and really liked it.

I haven't looked at new amps in awhile, so I'll have to defer to others on this board for info about other choices.

8. randy

randy Full Member

wouldnt it be better to wire the subs for 1ohm impedance and bridge the 2 subs together on the amp since its 1200x1 @ 1 ohm?

also, any other amp recommendations would be appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  9. ericj

ericj Full Member

10. randy

randy Full Member

here is the link to my subs:

http://kicker.com/sites/default/files/2010 CompVR f01.pdf

on page 2 it shows the wiring schemes. i would be wiring in Parallel. My question is WHY would i not be running a 1ohm load? if i wired each sub completely seperately and ran them on the same channel bridged ( which would be 1200x1 @ 1 ohm on the power acoustik amp ) and both subs be on a 1 ohm load?

BY THE WAY, i really appreciate all the help. i know im being difficult, i am just trying to fully understand.

11. ericj

ericj Full Member

You can't wire it that way for a one ohm load. If you connected multiple pairs of wires to the same input, this would change the resistance. The amp wouldn't see 1 ohm that way, I believe it would see 0.5 ohms. Unless I'm incorrect.

It would essentially be the same as wiring it like in the first picture here:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22#results

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  12. randy

randy Full Member

ok, while browsing kickers website, i learned what i needed i think.
    ultimately, I AM wiring each sub for 1 ohm each but when bridged together, the amp KNOWS there are 2 subs by the strength they are pulling i guess u could say, and switches to operate on 2 ohms?

here is a pretty good wiring scheme, helped me a lot more than the one posted.

http://kicker.com/dvc_wiring

13. randy

randy Full Member

you are correct, look at the scheme i posted, makes it much more clear to me on what i need to do.

im really glad i did more research before i bought an amp solely on its 1 ohm output ability. when all i really need to to buy a mono block amp that makes good power at 2 ohms.

ericj i truely appreciate the help.

14. randy

randy Full Member

This should be my last question.

looking at this wiring scheme http://kicker.com/dvc_wiring

which way is better in a dual sub setup?

1 ohm + 1 ohm = 2 ohms ( paralleled voice coils / subs wired in series )

OR

4 ohm + 4 ohm = 2 ohms ( series voice coils / subs wired in parallel )

just SEEMS that the first one would be better.

15. monster71

monster71 Full Member

In an earlier post u said that 450x1 might b too weak. Well I thought the same thing. But i just hooked up two 10 in Type Rs @ 4 ohms to my MTX Thunder 500 d ( which is 250 watts rms x 1 at 4 ohms) and the bass is incredible. I have had systems with four 12 in subs and I can honestly say that what I have now at 250 watts (actually the birth cert for my amp says 446 w at 14.4 volts-dynamic) will amaze u. I say play with what u have before spending more money. Be sure to look at enclosures. I have 2 seperate boxes but again crazy bass. My boxes are 1.25 cu tuned to 42. As I have learned the right enclosure will make a big difference.

16. ericj

ericj Full Member

I would think a net 2 ohms is 2 ohms, so the same amount of wattage would be going to your subs either way. I don't think it matters which you use, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

17. randy

randy Full Member

well blew the 1 sub i was running this morning. didnt even have it up too loud. sending back to kicker for repair. sounds kind of crackly. hopefully ill have it back in a week. swapping the sub out this evening with my other cvr to be for sure its the sub but the amp looks perfectly fine. no protection light or anything and the power light is lit up.