amp problems

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by mack21, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mack21

mack21 New Member

ok i have 3 memphis 12 subs model 15-PR124D hooked up 2 a x-file amp model X-XR1800D. the problem is the amp keeps going into protection mode once cut on. I took it back to the dealer and he had it looked at they said there was nothing wrong with it. I checked all teh wires to the amp and them seem fine can't understand why wit's not working.....I mean every now and then if im driving and it's on i might hear a thump then it shuts back off. The subs are almost new. I brought them new wail the amp was being looked at. I had them on a quantum 1500 and they were find no problems till it got wet. Don't know what to do please help if you can...thanks

2. danracer

danracer Full Member

how do u have the subs wired to the amp...series or parallel??

3. mack21

mack21 New Member

thats a good question i didn't wire it.....they are dvc the amp is wire one neg and one pos going to the 1 conector on the back of the box then each speaker is wired to it's self and directly out to the connector on the inside of the box can't find any pics hope this helps

sub one

+ - + -
    * l__l ^
    *-----^
    *-----^
    *-----^
    *-----^

sub two
    + - + -
    * l__l ^
    *-----^
    *-----^
    *-----^

sub three

+ - + -
    * l__l ^
    *-----^
    *-----^
    *-----^
    *-----^

*_____^
    pos neg
    amp

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

what impeadance(ohms) are the coils?

5. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

hmm well from the ur diagram im assuming that if they are dual 4ohm subs then the amp is running at 2.67 ohms, dual 2ohm would make it 1.32ohms at the amp. So i dont think its making it run too hard. hmmmmmm

6. mack21

mack21 New Member

ok i read threw some other post and found one alot like mine.....post on there said something about the ground wire.....so i moved mine around and got a sound on diffrent spots of my car. thinkit was because it wasn't grounded good. so i sanded and cleaned a diffrent spot in the truck adn hooked it back up and ill be damed if i didn't hear sum thump. im thinking it worked fine b4 with other amp because they are so diffrent this one i think pulls more power so it need a better ground then the other. now just worried about how the subs are wired.....