amp kicks to overprotect

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by kerri_birtch, Dec 22, 2006.

1. kerri_birtch

kerri_birtch Full Member

First off I work at a consumer electronics shop and do the audio work out of the back... recently i've been approached with an odd question... I've encountered the following problem a couple of times without any diagnosis...

day 1: 600w amp runs DVC 12" and BOOMS (1990 chev s10 new alt, new batt, 8ga pwr)

day 7: Still BOOMING but there is a spot 3/4 up the vol. where amp kicks to protect circuit.

day 14: the "death" spot is 1/2 way up the vol on head unit.

day 21: the spot is now literally about 5 increments into the volume controll.

day 30: turning the stereo on, results in a noise for about 1/2 second, then amp turns off...

My instincts here are 1) weak battery causes voltage drop, dropped voltage is below amps minimu, kicks off? meter bounces from 12.5 to about low 11v(engine off) or 14.2 to about 11.5 (engine on)

2) bad ground slowly corroding causes the amp to kick to a short quicker and quicker....

needless to say, the batt has just been replaced brand new.. new alt as well... and somehow problem gets worse again.... replaced amp with new in box of same... resistance tested grounds around the truck... any ideas oh great viking leader?? much appreaciated input, I am MECP and taking in knowledge in bucketfulls everyday, thanks for your time.

kerri birtch

2. kerri_birtch

kerri_birtch Full Member

update

in the last hour i have done the following

1) redone the amp ground to chasis, bored out hole, cleaned, resistance tested OK

2) installed a capacitor 8in from amp... 4ga ground to same chasis point

3) client purchased new batt, with knowledge that old batt was insufficient

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

What amp is it??

How is the gain set??

Is the bass boost turned up??

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

check your PM........

also, ditch the cap.........