All the bass stuck in the trunk, but i need it in the cabin!

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by playapimppro, Sep 6, 2006.

1. playapimppro

playapimppro Full Member

hey whats up guys i've been askin around to see wha people think and suggest, i have 3 12" bazooka p miller subs in a sealed enclosure at a cubic ft each (which is the standard specifications on the subs) they pound hard and sound real good but the problem is i own a 95 cadillac deville and from what everyone tells me this is a common problem about all of the bass staying in the trunk and not going into the cabin for cadillacs, but what if i were to make a custom bandpass enclosure where the port(s) leads into the cabin and where the sound would come out through, let me know what you guys think and these are the responses i have gottin in other forums and opinions..

(which is what im not what im not going to do:)

1. go with better stuff (not gonna happen cuz like i said it sounds amazing when you open the trunk so the problem is transfering that into the cabin)

2. build a ported box (thats not a bad idea but i dont want to eliminate that much space in the trunk because the standard specifications for the ported box on these subs is 2 cubic ft for each sub meaning 6 in total which would leave me with no trunk at all)

3.dynamat the trunk (good idea but thats still not going to solve the problem)

now here is what i have done so far, i went and cut 2 4" holes on the top deck in order for the bass in the trunk to travel and at first it wasnt all that great because the car had been hit in the past so the air would just leak through the sides and bottom which then i fixed with window foam seal which actually worked great and now i can actually feel an air flow coming into the cabin but very small. then i played around with "bass box pro" and basically designed a box over mine which means i would be using my old one and some how attach another box to it but just 6" more of depth and not separated cahmbers and have four 4" ports at 2" in length each and there, there was an increase of about 1 to 2 db's which basically fell in the middle of a ported box (i calculated the sealed and the ported according to the specifications on the program in order to see the difference on the graph, and the bandpass fell in the middle, which would actually come out the cheapest if i could just work with the one i have) and lets the air flow of the subs only come out through the ports which are leading them into the cabin, so it basically doesnt stay in the trunk and has only one place to go.

let me know what you guys think..:confused:

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

A properly built bandpass enclosure vented up through the rear deck would be an excellent way to go. The reflection off the window will add more to the transfer fucntion of the bass in your car.

3. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

the bandpass is a good way to go. Will sound very nice BUT you will have no turnk left. I had one in my wifes car that was ported through the center armrest, sounded very good, no trunk rattle, all the bass goes into the cabin of the car. But with the amps mounted on the rear of the box it took up at least 3/4 of her trunk. Her car is a Taurus and its trunk should be about the same size as your caddys.

4. playapimppro

playapimppro Full Member

thank you, thank you i feel very gassed right now lol, but um have any of you guys used "bass box pro" or any similar subwoofer enclosure design programs, where you could check if my calculations are right or if im pretty good with the design im planning to go with as described above?

also what do you guys think about me using the existing box, because i honestly rather use the one i have and some how attach the new second chamber to my existing sealed box (i paid 100 for it on ebay, and it would suck to have to leave it in the closet or sell it for cheaper) which would only be 6 more inches of depth.

also for the space in the trunk, yea fstrfvo your right, but atleast i'll have 1/4 of the trunk which isnt that bad, because i can still store small things like the tool bag and booster cables etc. just no more picking people up at the airport lol, oh well lol..

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I really liked that box but the problem I had is that my wife got a flat and the box was so big the autoclub could not get the spare tire out. Just something for you to think about. You should call Bazooka and make sure those subs will work in a bandpass application, no sense in building something if your subs wont work in that type of box. Also they can give you spec as to what size you box should be. Bandpasses need to be built right to work properly.

6. playapimppro

playapimppro Full Member

oh wow i didnt think there would be a problem building a bandpass for them considering they can work in a ported box, and i figured since it was sealed in the first chamber to a sealed enclosure's specs, that it wouldnt be a problem, but i think i might have to call bazooka to get the specs on what the first and second chambers should be..

7. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

dude it is a very common problem but you have a major way around it. remove the rear seat, then remove the leather and stuffing that is behind it, around the arm rest hole. it then makes a direct port right into the trunk. did it on my 97 Eldorado

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  8. playapimppro

playapimppro Full Member

caddy your right but the problem i have with my car is that it has a brace that forms an X right where the arm rest is, so if i were to remove that leather then the X which is the color of the car would show, which i honestly dont think looks the best, and the only thing i can think of is cutting the X so that it doesnt show through the arm rest, but i honestly didnt want to go through the trouble of cutting all the leather and removing the seat etc. to see if it actually improves, because remember i cut two 4" ports on the top and it only got a tad better, but not even nothing actually noticable, so this time i want to do it where it actually works, so thats why i've been thinking of the custom bandpass enclosure..

9. CadillacETC1997

dude you only see the x with the armrest down keep it up and youll still notice a difference trust me
    i have 3 jl 12w6s with a 2000 watt usamps de-1000
    opening that up really made a difference...
    it blew my sunroof off its track...

10. playapimppro

playapimppro Full Member

lol dam i got the colgate smile right now lol because i really want it to pound harder in the cabin, so im definitely gonna try taken that leather off, now i just gotta go to the cadillac forums to see how them dam rear seats come off of the deville (right there i'll change the 6x9's also)

11. CadillacETC1997

dude
    im part of the cadillacforums.com
    im the audio advisor over there (check the upper right)
    heres my profile
    believe me i can tell you anything about caddy audio!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=32920

no offence though i doubt youll sound anywhere near as loud or good as mine bazooka aint well anything choice and jl is almost the best you can get

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Hey...my first system had two 10 inch Bazooka CS series subs in a dual sealed box run by a CS150.1 amp.....lol...got it all for 200 from Circuit City...made me happy...that system was SOOOO BALANCED and clean

13. playapimppro

playapimppro Full Member

ok caddy, thanks for the help but i wasnt tryin to compete with anyone, and believe me ive had jl audio before, i know exactly what jl audio is because the minute there first amp came out which was the 500/1 i bought it brand new for 475 over 4 or 5 years ago, with 2 12w3's to it, when jl audio wasnt repped by funkmaster flex and all these tv shows, so i definitely know what jl is, my piont this time was to prove to people that i can come by with some cheap ass subs and amp and hit hard, caddy i paid 325 for my whole bass set up, 100 for all 3 subs, 125 for the rsa800.1d and 100 for the box, all off of ebay, mind u with 325 i wouldnt have been able to get 2 12w6's on canal st. out hea in ny, so im pretty proud with the gay set up i have, as long as it turns heads when i pass by thats all i need..

14. tech12volt

tech12volt Full Member

just a quick question. have you tried reversing the polarity on the subs . all of them out of phase. bmws and mercedes have the same problem . this works sometimes.

15. playapimppro

playapimppro Full Member

yeap i tried that also, and really didnt notice any difference in the sound or spl

16. CadillacETC1997

dont in our lacs
    your 2 best options are remove the rear 6x9s or to remove the arm rest
    oh and also a little known secreat if you remove the rear door panels theres a spot in both doors for a 5 1/4 speaker in each
    my suggestion remove the rear 6x9s and install a set of 5 1/4s in the doors

17. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

OK. bottom line.....you wanna go BOOM BOOM to impress all the little 15 year old hot chicks........fine and dandy............

Caddy, your car.....its simple really..............

IB subs, done, end of story.................

Why FIGHT the cars acoustics when they can WORK for you???????????

An IB installation done PROPERLY can achieve some of the best SPL levels!!!!!!

Case in point.....

1986 buick, 4 rockford series one 10 inch subs. desigened to be in a box, instqlled on a IB, running on a punch 150...............134 dB.....suck that down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wha I am gettint at is dont fight the car, use the car to ENHANCE the sound........

LOTS of fibreglasse, some creative wood working, and you can have a IB system that is KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!

Did 4 IB 12 inch orions on a 225 HCCAback in 94, would embarrass most of you phucking kuunts in this day and age!!!! the phucker hit 143 dB if I remember right......suck that down!!!!!

i would do an IB install on that car if i were You!!!!!!!! Caddys alyways performed good with that type of install

Just my 3.4 cents on the subject, and i dont know anything......

18. CadillacETC1997

im engaged man
    i dont try to impress anyone but myself.

19. CadillacETC1997

whats an IB installation?

20. the727kid

the727kid New Member

Ok...first of what the hell is an IB install?

Second off if you hit 143dB with 4 12s....don't talk please. My one 12 is right around that ballpark (going to get it metered in a few weeks).