Adding an aux input?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by ICANSEEYOU7687, Dec 31, 2009.

1. ICANSEEYOU7687

ICANSEEYOU7687 Full Member

I have some decent wiring and soldering knowledge and im trying to figure out how to put an aux cable into a 08' honda ridgeline.

Its a basic system, so what ive found online is that there are no aux input or rca inputs hidden in the back of the unit...

(PLUS, i dont wanna spend 60-150$ on a box that works with an ipod and has an aux... I dont have an ipod)

And since I prob wont be using the cd player, or XM i was hoping there was some way of just using those. Something as simple as basically a switch and a cable with the input.

But I dont think I could just wire in an aux cable and a switch to connect it and disable the CD audio cables for instance.... Dont know if that would work. Any ideas?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

if you dont have an ipod or will be using the cd player or xm them why do you need an aux in?

you could get an outboard EQ with aux inputs in it, but you'll need a line out converter to connect it to the eq.

or find one with speaker level inputs and go that route.

3. ICANSEEYOU7687

haha thats lots of other music devices out there besides ipod's....
    I have a zune and my phone also can play music and use pandora. But I dont want to pay all the extra money for an ipod module that also has an aux input... when mostly wut im paying for is the ipod connection.

I think im just gonna shell out some money for something like
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469HO0...anger-Adapter.html?showAll=N&c=3&tp=422&avf=N

or
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA1...NDORID581&ssi=0&searchdisplay=USA+Spec&tp=120

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I wonder how much Hondas are alike. Do some research and lets find out

Here is what I know. Civics, even the base model have an Aux input plug, its located behind the console.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pin 1 : Right Channel Audio
    Pin 2 : Left Channel Audio
    Pin 3 : Audio Ground
    Pin 4 : not used
    Pin 5 : Connect To Pin 6 (might need to be connected through a resister, dont know for sure yet)
    Pin 6 : Connect To Pin 5

These wires go to the 20-pin connector at the back of the radio. It goes to pins 3, 4, 5, 13, 14, and 15.

These colors and info are correct for a Civic, but are they correct for your truck. While colors might be different, wire position will be correct.

B3 - Brown - Auxiliary Jack Assembly (Aux SGND)
    B4 - Gray(1) - Shield for terminals No. 3, No. 5, No. 13, No. 14, and No. 15 (Aux Shield GND)
    B5 - Blue - Auxiliary Jack Assembly (Aux GND)

B13 - Yellow - Auxiliary Jack Assembly (Aux L)
    B14 - Green - Auxiliary Jack Assembly (Aux R)
    B15 - White - Auxiliary Jack Assembly (Aux Det)

Do some research, do you have a 20-pin connector at the back of your radio?
    Civics have 2 plugs, a 17-pin and a 20-pin. The 17-pin is the power, ground and speakers. The 20-pin is for accessories.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. ICANSEEYOU7687

from the research I found and looked up, you cannot connect an aux in just by tapping into an unused aux.... which was what I was hoping for. I dont have time to look at it now... but in a few days Ill try to take off my dash board and take some pictures....

but from what i've heard there is nothing I can just solder in. So unfortunately it looks like im going to have to drop 70 bucks... but I think I might prefer that over the hassle of the FM transmitter thing I have going now

*EDIT*

Found this from a thread....
    http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24615&highlight=isimple
    [​IMG]

so it looks very similar.... But could it be as simple as cutting some wires and connecting them to a jack?

But also, while looking at http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA1...isplay=USA+Spec&tp=120&tab=features_and_specs

it attaches to the 14pin cable... not the 20 one it seems.
    in addition, I changed my car make and model to an 08' civic, and the USA spec is still compatible with it (acording to the site) so they must have the same plugs....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I agree, we need more info. I almost forgot here are the colors at the input plug

Aux Input Plug
    1 - White - Head Unit (Aux Det)
    2 - Blue - Head Unit (Aux GND)
    3 - Brown - Head Unit (Aux SGND)
    4 - Yellow - Head Unit (Aux L)
    5 - Green - Head Unit (Aux R)

Need to double check my info, its a six pin not five. Colors are correct for civic

7. ICANSEEYOU7687

I asked someone on the ridgelineowners forums, and I got this (14 pin connector)

But basically something I was thinking... would be with

1 ----- Not used
    2 ORN XM receiver (SAT SYSTEM ACC)
    3 GRY XM receiver (SAT BUS (GA-NET) shield)
    4 GRY XM receiver (SAT shield GND)
    5 WHT XM receiver (SAT R+)
    6 RED XM receiver (SAT L+)
    7 ----- Not used
    8 ----- Not used
    9 BLU XM receiver (SAT BUS+ (GA-NET))
    10 PNK XM receiver (SAT BUS- (GA-NET))
    11 ----- Not used
    12 ----- Not used
    13 BLK XM receiver (SAT R-)
    14 GRN XM receiver (SAT L-)

because I do not have XM installed but it should be XM ready... im not sure I will have to check.

But basically with a headphone jack you will have three inputs.... Right, Left, and Ground. But before you do this, the system has to have a way to know (or think it knows) that the XM radio is there, which im fairly sure would be through
    2 ORN XM receiver (SAT SYSTEM ACC)

which would explain why when I push my XM button nothing happens. But give that cable power and it would probably turn on. And sense you do not need to worry about the antennae i would just ignore this. so that leave

5 WHT XM receiver (SAT R+)
    6 RED XM receiver (SAT L+)

13 BLK XM receiver (SAT R-)
    14 GRN XM receiver (SAT L-)

The left and right should be the audio signals, while the (-)'s should both use the same ground. this would ultimately mean that you would need to hook up the acc power, the two inputs, and the ground.

but this is just me thinking im really not sure. I dont know if the setup is different for... "No nav/no xm". And to be honest I dont even know if my ridgeline is XM capable...

8. ICANSEEYOU7687

Sorry for double post

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. ViewTech

ViewTech New Member

what i found special car dvd for Honda CR-V

Best quality and reasonable price, espcially excellent service

http://www.szviewtech.com/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=349[/IMG

7 inch digital LCD (800*480pixels)
    * Play DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/MPEG4/DIVX/CD-R/WMA/JPEG
    * Built in TV/FM/AM/Bluetooth
    * With RDS function
    * USB / SD / iPod ready
    * Video input / output
    * 4x 50W amplifer
    * Built in GPS navigation system (WINCE 5.0)
    * dual Zone

10. ICANSEEYOU7687

Sorry I dont need all that. And that's probably definitely worth a lot moe then im willing to spend, especially since the prices are not listed.

I just want an audio jack. Also if I can find the part number for the plastic connector I might be able to buy it straight from honda.