A little help please...

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by damuworld, Sep 7, 2010.

1. damuworld

damuworld Member

I'm new to this big bass thing, but I've recently purchased 8 12" 2 ohm kicker l7s and two 2500.1 amps and I have a few ?s...A. is there enough watts for my woofers?
    B. How do I power up my amps?
    C. How should I wire up my woofers?

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

2500.1 amps???? who makes em and what is the wattage? I am guessing they are "big" amps.....if so we need to go a bit further in this

And let this be known....you can run 50 subwoofers off of 10 watts of power...so the only real question to you is this....do you want to drive these speakers to the limits of there capacity?

3. ericj

ericj Full Member

They're Kicker Class D 1-channel amps that can be run at 2 or 4 ohm that output around 1200-1500 watts RMS, IIRC. I don't think the 2500.1 is 1 ohm stable.

I hope you have an upgraded electrical system to run these beasts.

Since the L7s are dual 2 ohm subs, I think your only choice with this amp/sub combo is to run 4 subs to each amp. If you wire the voice coils in parallel and the subs in series, each amp will see a 4 ohm load. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. TheViking

If the amps are 2 ohm stable...then the subs will need wired series/parellel... series 2 subs, then parellel them the second set of subs that are also wired in series. this will yield a 2 ohm load to the amp.

As for electrical systems go...look into our section on the big three....this is the first step. But if your putting all this into a little rice grinder with a little 50 amp alternator and a lawn mower sized battery...forget about going boom boom down the street for more than about 30 seconds on a fully charged battery....You will need a REAL alternator and some back up from a few batteries to do this right....end of story

5. ericj

ericj Full Member

I'd love to see someone fit 8 L7's in a rice rocket! :D

6. damuworld

damuworld Member

2 300 amp alternators...2 optima batteries....and an 0 gauge wiring kit...is this enough electricity for my 2 kicker 2500.1 amps?

7. ericj

ericj Full Member

Should be plenty.

Maybe I'm missing it, but what exactly are you trying to find out? Seems like you're asking pretty basic stuff for someone who just bought such specific, expensive equipment.

8. damuworld

damuworld Member

I'm installing it my self (1st install)....i know the basics but just can't be careful...i just wanna know what all I'm a need to get the most out of both my amps and subs...

9. TheViking

TWO 300 amp alternators......plz post a company that has a 300 amp alternator....I would love to see that be for real! especially on a continuous basis.

but if you can have a continuous 600 amps of charge current...and a few batteries....go for it...... dont forget the fuses....an electrical fire is an Awesome site in a car from about 100 yds away! LOL!

10. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

Maybe it "fell off a truck?" :p

11. damuworld

damuworld Member

I don't know the name of the company who makes the alternators but I found them on ebay......one more ?...should I run the system on 2 ohm or 4 ohm load for max bass

12. TheViking

post a link to the alternators plz.........we are here to help....

13. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

He offered to help you and asked you for a link. How hard is it to post the link of the EXACT alternator auction you won?

Its not his job to do extra work trying to help you out. :confused:

Also the cutting and pasting of the same question is awfully confusing and annoying as well :rolleyes:

14. damuworld

damuworld Member

Like I said I found them on ebay...

15. ericj

ericj Full Member

16. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

all you need to know is to make the enclosures to the correct specs. the box is 90% of the install.

good box-ok sub =good results.

crap box- ok sub = crappy results