2-way passive crossover

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by kcox669live, Oct 22, 2011.

1. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

It's actually for filter 3, the "low" high-pass filter. I'm still trying for the band-pass thing. Filter 3 in my diagram is a high-pass at 90hz.

2. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

Here are some of the tests I made for the crossover. It was a success. It works well but not the one I'm going to use. My next one will have no split between filter 1 and 2. Also, I think I will use bigger wire on the inductors to cut down resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2DDVuCRPW8

3. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

this one.jpg

This is my next attempt.

I'm still not sure why my last attempt was not as loud as the alpine crossover. I've been looking at that crossover a little more and I think it might be because of the zobel network? "As frequency rises the drivers impedance rises". So, where the impedance of the driver on my crossover was rising the impedance of the driver on the alpine crossover was staying the same?

Any who, I loved the way it sounded. The alpine crossover sounds a little more like it's coming through a tin can than mine and the noise at 40hz was gone. If this is because of the crossover alone I am amazed.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

It should sound much smoother, especially on the tweeter. The values on my tweeter are 0.1mH on the coil, 5uf and 16uf. Its super smooth and it works well. With an 18dB per octave filter you can easily and safely drop your tweeter to 5000 Hz with no problem and pick up some volume and presence.

Just for the fun of it, try a simple 6dB per octave on your midbass driver. And stay where your at on the tweeter, I think you'll like it

If I remember right a Zobel has a resistor is parallel with the speaker, if thats right then part of the current is going through the resistor. Yes I know, there is a capacitor in series with the resistor and as frequency increases so does the resistance on the capacitor and less current is going through the Zobel. Great, but we still lose a small amount of current.

I would avoid the Zobel for now, get the crossover the way you want it, then make additions if you need them.

Keep experimenting, amazing how much a crossover changes a speakers sound.

5. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

View attachment 3106

Is this what you meant by, "Stay where you're at on the tweeter"? Or did you mean keep the 18db slope but change the crossover point to 5khz? I drew this up real fast to catch you online but it looks like I'm to late, lol. I'm getting ready to buy this stuff right now... crap.

From everything that I have read you are exactly right about the Zobel network. To calculate the value of the cap, in series with the resistor, seems to be the most confusing area for me. To calculate the value I must know the frequency in which the impedance of the driver doubles:mad: Is the little fellow with the red face the best we can do? How about a smiley that's taking a ball bat to his laptop?

Ok, so this is what I'll do...

this.jpg

Since I already know how much better these speakers sound with a new crossover network I'm going to buy both sets of components. Testing both sides together is going to be time consuming, so bare with me a minute.

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes give that a try, leave one set of speakers hooked up to your current crossover and the other crossover to the second set of speakers and compare them that way.

Nothing like a side to side comparison.

7. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

Yep. Not trying to promote my channel but the link I posted here was my test with side by side set up. At the end of the vid I took the balance back and forth and even through the camera mic, the youyube upload, my laptop speakers... you can still hear how much better this crossover sounds while playing music.

Anyway, just bought the components, they should be here tuesday :)

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Hook it up and let me know how it goes. I really think you'll like how smooth the tweeter crossover will be.

Hook it up to just one pair for now so you can compare it to the other. Let me know.

9. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

It sounds very smooth and is actually a little louder than the alpine crossover. I used the 12db/octave, active high-pass crossover at about 150hz. I think these woofers reproduce high frequencies better when they don't have to play very low frequencies too.

So, anyway, time to get some pc boards :lol:

this one.jpg

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Its amazing how much a good crossover will improve a speaker. I always use my own crossover, especially on tweeters. And I always use an 18dB per octave on the tweeter. I have experimented with 24dB per octave on tweeters but I've always went back to 18, it just works.

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Here is a picture of the crossover I used in my Toyota. In my Toyota, the capacitor values are a little different (6000Hz Crossover Point instead of 5000Hz), but close to the schematic here. This is exactly the next crossover I'll be building.

My Tweeter Crossover.jpg

The resistors are 10-Watt resistors and they lower the crossover point slightly. This crossover starts out at 5000Hz, the resistors drop that to around 4800 and it smooths the response even more.

In my truck, I have a Polk Audio DX3000 tweeter. The crosssover is one of the first that I built. It consists of two caps and a coil. The tweeter in the Toyota is a cheap "no name" (I think its a Jensen), with a really good crossover. That crossover is similar to the schematic above. It sounds just as good as the Polk Tweeter. The crossover is everything.

Like you I learned by experimenting.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  12. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

The crossover is everything. It's kind of crazy to think that if alpine spent a little more time and money on their crossover they could have had a set of component speakers that sound so much better.

I can't wait to see your next crossover, but one more thing... can you show your math work? :)

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Download this PDF File. Alot of good info there. Also look at page 41, notice how perfect the 18dB per octave crossover is.

I'll find my equations later, but the Speaker Crossover Lab PDF is one of the reference materials that I use

14. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

A LOT of good info. Thanx ranger. I've read a lot of it and it breaks it down real nice, but I didn't change anything on this crossover.

this one.jpg