2 enclosures vs 1 enclosure

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by DaveDSMer, Feb 20, 2007.

1. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

Quick question but would there be any difference if you had.. lets say.. 2 12" subs in a single box vs 1 12" sub in two different boxes.

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

What do you mean?? lol

Yes there would be a difference...only way I see one sub in TWO boxes is bandpass

Main difference would be cone area

3. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

no... 2 subs in 1 box vs 2 subs each in a seperate box

like a dual box vs two single boxes

like putting 2 boxes side by side in a trunk vs making one big box.

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

It'd be no different...maybe easier to get the individual boxes into the trunk.

but if the two setups have the same airspace and what not they won't sound any different

5. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

ok thats what i thought, just wanted to make sure.

6. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Actually, 2 subs in the same box, whether sharing the same air space or not, will yeild slightly better performance due to "acoustic coupling"....... Yes, this is true.

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Viking...though it is true....I think what dave is asking is two boxes sitting side by side to each other...basically the same as one big box that is divided...well atleast thats what I got from Dave

8. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

i was asking because this guy wants to put 2 sets of dual 10's , factory loaded in bandpass boxes in the trunk of his car. Just wanted to make sure that wasnt going to be a big deal having them next to each other like that. That was so he didnt have to have a box made for 4 tens.

9. darryle

darryle Full Member

If you make two identical boxes,eg both 3 cu ft,in one box you install the drivers both on the front baffle but as far apart as possible.IN the second box you install the drivers as close to gether as possible wont the second box perform better then the first?

10. TheViking

That is what i was talking about...you got it...!!!

11. Spkrman

Spkrman Full Member

This generally isn't the case in practice. Good theory, but in reality it doesn't work quite like that.

Either way, your talking about a 1% difference.

-Mark

12. darryle

darryle Full Member

years ago I had an 80 chev malibu with eight 8" drivers,.65 cu ft per driver,300 watts ,37.5 watts per8 For some reason I went to four 8's, 75 watts a driver,SPL dropped from131 to 127

13. TheViking

Back in the day, we actually tested the "acoustical coupling" theory. It worked. In critical listening, and in accurate RTA and SPL tests, using an ol Audio control third octave meter (forget the model #) ....Anyway. i fmemory serves me correct, the gain of placing 2 drivers right next to each other was about 1 or 1.5 dB over placement at a greater distance, such as on opposite sides of the trunk. This gain tended to be in the lower bass regions, from around 35-50 Hz I believe. This was not Obvious in all vehicles we tried however. I think we did it in about 4 or 5 different types of cars, (ie...hatchback, trunk, suv,etc.....) This is what I among another tech discovered in our "playtime" ...The only real disadvantage was in a truck behind the seat...non extended cab....coupling into the corners was more beneficial to the low end, whee in a car, the bass was more accurate and such being close coupled and firing in a common direction.

It may not be accurate for all vehicles, but in light of my past expereince...it sure as hell wont hurt to close couple the drivers!

14. TheViking

Case in point, every time you double the amount of drivers, or the amp power, you gain approximatly 3 Db...Though this tends to be on another subject in some ways.