2) Dual 4 ohm Subs w/ 2 ohm amp

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by elemen0hpey, Mar 27, 2010.

1. elemen0hpey

elemen0hpey New Member

I have two dual 4ohm Type-R 10's powered by a Kicker ZX1000.1. The amp is stable at 2ohms. The car stereo shop wired each sub separately. There is 4 power leads from the amp, 2 for each sub (each sub is wired for 2ohms). Is this normal? I looked up the wiring diagram and it says I can either run 4ohms or 1ohms. Is this still the case even if they're EACH SEPARATELY ran directly to the 2ohm amp? I would think 2) 2 ohm loads = 4ohms total impedance.

I want to maximize my sub performance while extending the life of the amp.
    Considering switching to dual 2 Ohm subs so I can run the amp at 2 Ohms unless you recommend something else.

Thanks,

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

if you run positive to positive then to the positive of the amp, then negative to negative and then to the negative on the amp, hook it up to bridged terminals. You should have only 1 positive and 1 negative wire from your box. 2 4 ohm coils wired like that will give you 2 ohms.

3. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

he has dual 4s. you can only get 1 or 4 ohms in the end with those subs.

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

yea but he only has to run 1 coil on each woofer.

5. xmax-1

xmax-1 New Member

Say what?...............That would be a BIG NO..NO. At no time should you only use a single coil on a DVC speaker.

Element, if that amp ia only 2ohm stable, you willhave to wire the subs at 4 ohms (series/parallel). the amp will pit out about 1/2 it power, but will still sound good. Your other option is to get an amp that is 1ohm stable.

6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Xmax please explain why you are unable to run only 1 coil? I know that you will suffer a 3 db loss (only half the coil windings are energized) and will have a shift in thiele/small parameters. But it will not cause any damage to the woofer or amplifier. What are your thoughts on this issue?

7. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

running one voice coil cuts the rms power handling in 1/2. so therefore the subs will burn out quicker.