Your favorite 12" subs ???

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Fish Chris, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Fish Chris

Fish Chris Full Member

{note I said, "your favorite"... and not "the best" :) I'm not trying to start a war, here :)}

Given equal points for;

1) SQ

2) efficiency

3) durability

4) value

Also (for my purposes here) consider that I'm looking for mid power level speakers which will recieve about 300wts continuous, and 600peak.
    It might not matter if they are dual VC or not, just as long as I can get two 4ohms, to be ran in a 2 ohm config.

I've been kind of leaning towards Kickers, or Rockford's.... but even so, which ones ? .....or, another brand altogether ?

Thank you,
    Fish

PS, I would really only consider the lesser known brands, if one of the gurus here, or several of you, recommended it "over" the top known brands, based on my criteria above.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I wouldn't go near rockford subs.

Kicker, very durable. that may be a very good choice...

3. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Ya, dont go near rockford unless you get POWER series and NOT punch JUNK!

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ima have to say kicker. L5 D2 so if you get 2 you can wire then for a 2 ohm load.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

For SQ....hands down my old school JL 12W6.

6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

azn, what are you using now since your 19Ov.2 is fried?

7. jonnyv713

HAHA, I would say 4 13kv.2's but i havent heard them yet. THEY ARE IN THE MAIL THOUGH!!!!!! yes thats right, i ordered 4 13kv.2's tonight!

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

sweet! did you decide on what amp your gonna get for them?

9. jonnyv713

Before i steal this thread, lets move it over to my Subs? thread.

10. Fish Chris

Fish Chris Full Member

Right on....

thanks guys. I will go look specifically at those Kicker L5 D2's, and also the JL 12W6's

So what brand are these 4 13kv.2's that you guys mention ? I'll try to find them, by that alone... Because like I say, I'm totally open minded about this. I've been away from high performance stereos for so long, I'm just clueless....

Peace,
    Fish

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

the 13kv.2 are made by Elemental Designs. I'm using 13Ov.2's from eD and I like them.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

the 13Kv.2's are on sale for only $50. that's a steal.

12. jonnyv713

YES! totally a steal, i bought 4 of them for a total of $256! If i bought any other sub of this quality it would cost over $400!!!!

heres a vid of them in action...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljF1r00tGIg

13. Fish Chris

Fish Chris Full Member

Wow !!!

Okay first off, I checked out the Kicker L5's.... Square subs !?!? :) Okay, of course I've seen these before, and always wondered how they performed. Pretty darn good reviews ! A little more than I wanted to pay... but not way out of the question....

Now, those JL 12W6's had better be good subs, at $350 each ! Those are way out of my price range.

So yes, I found this little vid about the 13Kv.2's
    http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_video.php?viewkey=a9969845dfe4146c5660

Granted, the guy is talking about his own product :) But he sounds pretty convincing. They sound like a real bargain.... Maybe I'll get 10 of them :) ...just kidding.

Hey cccullen, I'm totally anxious to hear how those work out for you. BTW, have you decided what type, and what size box your going to run these in ? The guy in the vid talks about how small a box they work in... ported band-passed, or sealed....

Very interesting :)

Thanks guys,
    Fish

14. jonnyv713

CC has 13Ov.2's. I, Jonny, am getting the 13kv.2's. Its going into a big ported box with hopefully 1600-1700 RMS.

15. Fish Chris

Fish Chris Full Member

Okay so....

I was about to ask (since these subs seem to work well in smaller boxes, plus, are reasonbly priced) if this company made a 15" sub... But then I just went and found it. A little more pricey since its in the Ov series, but here's what I'm really tripping on.... The spec sheet says the 15"s weigh 56 lbs !!! Tell me that just a typo !

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=2&products_id=36

Fish

16. Fish Chris

Fish Chris Full Member

So, how in the heck.....

can anybody make a decent subwoofer for this price ???
    http://www.edesignaudio.com/

Almost seems too cheap, to be confident in.

Oh... and another thought.... they make these in 8" too, huh ? Those should make good mid-bass drivers, in a small sealed enclosure...

Hmmmmmm.......
    Fish

17. jonnyv713

it might be cause the bigger 18" weighs 42lbs

18. jonnyv713

Ohhh, be confident, eD makes a GREAT product!

19. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Right now, I have my 13Ov.2's in a 4 cu.ft. (well actually shy of 4 cubes) at 35hz and they sound pretty good. My ears hurt from the bass, however i think they can do even more. I'm going to make a new box that electro helped me with and it's going to be 4.8 cu. ft. and tuned to about 40hz.

I've only had these subs for about 3 weeks and each sub weighs about 25lbs each, i'm very happy with them so far. the way I'm pushing them now i know they can take a lot more. Hence, the reason for the new box.

I got my 13Ov.2's for $70 each not including shipping. Now that was a STEAL.
    Elemental makes solid products and their customer service is awesome.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  20. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

elemental designs makes some awesome stuff. i've heard what two 13Ov.2s off an elemental designs Nine.1(1200wrms) can do and they're probably the direction im gonna be heading when i get serious about my system.